Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2008, 03:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Vivitar flashes battery packs

I've answered my own question in the following article:
Vivitar external battery pack Et cetera!!!

Does anyone have experience in modifying the 283 or 285 for a external battery pack. Or, have seen a EASY tutorial how to do it.

I've seen one person offering the service but don't want to go there YET.

If there is a modification, can you switch beck and forth between external and internal (normal).

Attached Images

Last edited by JCSullivan; 09-17-2008 at 05:20 AM.
09-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one of the original Vivitar 285 dummy battery packs that would be attached to an external battery, I picked it up at a camera show a while ago without the battery it was supposed to go with. I've been meaning to hook it up to a 6 volt sealed lead acid battery pack but didn't ever find a source of the batteries down in Windsor. I got distracted by work and haven't thought about the project in 4 months or so.

If you make/buy a dummy battery pack to replace the one in the flash the most you would have to do to your flash is cut a hole in the battery compartment door to let the cord out (or just not close the door all the way). The modification is completely reversible.

I can't help you much with the batteries until I manage to get my own pack up and running without problems, if that ever happens.
09-02-2008, 04:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Since I wanted to be mobile the AC is out of the question.
The module is only the connection - one still needs the battery
I don't see how I could use the Durcell PS what what I need.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I have one of the original Vivitar 285 dummy battery packs that would be attached to an external battery, I picked it up at a camera show a while ago without the battery it was supposed to go with. I've been meaning to hook it up to a 6 volt sealed lead acid battery pack but didn't ever find a source of the batteries down in Windsor. I got distracted by work and haven't thought about the project in 4 months or so.

If you make/buy a dummy battery pack to replace the one in the flash the most you would have to do to your flash is cut a hole in the battery compartment door to let the cord out (or just not close the door all the way). The modification is completely reversible.

I can't help you much with the batteries until I manage to get my own pack up and running without problems, if that ever happens.
Ian, you got the idea but those dummy packs are hard to find. Looking forward to seeing another of your projects finished.

Thanks for taking time to reply guys.

09-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I was actually planning on making a dummy pack before I found one. I've seen pictures of them made out of blocks of wood, plastic, or sections of dowel tied together with 2 screws lined up with the appropriate contacts and a length of electrical cable soldered to the screws/contact points.

Have you seen this tutorial before?

Flash power pack - David Burren Photography

Other links for 285 mods:
Flickr: Discussing Ultimate Vivitar 285 Modification in Strobist.com
Flickr: Discussing ? Ultimate2 Vivitar 285 Flash Mod: The Terrible Tutorial ? in Strobist.com

I was planning to put the battery in something like an ammo pouch that I can clip onto a nice heavy web belt for ease of carrying. I'm comfortable enough with electronics that soldering in an on/off switch and a connector (plus maybe a battery meter) to the battery wouldn't be that big a deal.
09-07-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
You can easily fabricate a battery pack for the vivitars, a rechargeable lead acid 6v battery, some lampcord and a block of wood with a couple of screws and you have a battery pack that lasts through a 6 game basketball tournament. Here's a photo of my set-up. SportsShooter.com - Special Gallery
I use a small 6v motorcycle battery charger to recharge the batteries. Total cost around $20 a pack + another $20 for the charger.
This is a quote from a responce from a thread here

I contacted the photographer who was kind enough to send me a link to even more pictures found HERE. It is by FAR the easiest fix I've seen for a battery pack for the Vivitar.

Thank you Juliann.
09-17-2008, 05:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've updated the first post - have fun.

09-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Did you manage to find a reasonable source for Sealed Lead Acid batteries in Windsor?
09-18-2008, 05:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes. @14 0r 16 bucks whichever you prefer at Battery Connection on 6th Concession or The Battery Man on Janette.

Ian, let me know if you need either the battery clip or the dowels.
09-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I actually dropped by Interstate Battery on Howard today and it turns out that they have SLAs too. I picked up the same 4.5 Ah battery you have for $20, but for that price difference it isn't worth returning. They also had 12 Ah batteries for $25 and could order other sizes but I dacided that the smaller model should be more comfortable to carry around. If I really like the smaller battery pack then I might look into getting another larger battery later.

I'll post a picture when I have my pack finished, I'm still thinking about adding an on/off switch, a plug for the cable and maybe a battery monitor if I can build one from the random ICs laying around my house.