Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2018, 10:23 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Godox Witstro 600M triggering

I'm looking at this monolight for freezing movement, It says it comes with the Godox Wireless X system. Does the Cactus work with this? What would I need to trigger the flash from my K1? I see it slaves optically, S1 or S2. I suppose the XSync port as well.

Thanks

02-08-2018, 01:58 AM   #2

Hello,

You need to enter 'HSS territory' with your AD600M.

I can give you a quick table with the options that allow to fire several Godox flashes above 1/180. There are several threads about how to fire Godox flashes with a Pentax camera & HSS. Also, I remember that there are several forum members that have exactly your equipment, that is AD600M & K1. My tests were done using K5/K3 II and AD200/AD360/V850. I have a couple of threads testing several combinations of Godox triggers on my AD200.

First, you need the Cactus V6 II with HSS firmware.
Second, you need to stack a Godox trigger on top of your Cactus.
Finally, it's possible that you need to disable wireless mode on your AD600M, and put a XTR16/FTR16 receiver on the USB port.
Also, you'll need to enable HSS manually on your AD600M.
Please read my last post about the new XProC Godox trigger, because this game has changed now.

So, on your camera side you can have:
K1+V6 II + FT16/XT16/XT32C triggers

On your flash side:
FT16R/XT16R, wireless mode disabled, HSS enabled manually

Notice that I not tested above combinations with a K1 or AD600M, but with very similar equipment.

If you got the new XProC, I think you'll get the best combination for HSS at present:

K1 + V6 II + XProC on your side
Just your AD600M on the other, wireless enabled.
XProC will (probably) enable/disable HSS automatically. Only tested on a AD200, but my guess is that it will work with all the modern 'X' Godox flashes.

More combinations are possible...

Regards.
02-08-2018, 03:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I'm looking at this monolight for freezing movement
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
You need to enter 'HSS territory' with your AD600M.

With flash alone, HSS has nothing to do with motion stopping capability*. Motion stopping ability has more to do with the speed of the rise time of the flash pulse also expressed as the t.1 time. Most manufacturers only state the T.5 time which is less useful when determining how effective a flash is at at stopping action at any given power level.

* However if you are working with available light on location, then yes: a higher shutter speed will be desirable, and HSS can be used to allow for a wider aperture than would ordinarily be possible with flash - However your ability to use light modifiers is severely curtailed as the flash pulse has to be extended over a longer time than what is commonly called for.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-08-2018 at 03:11 AM.
02-08-2018, 05:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Or just make it easy and go for HSS/TTL flashes made for Pentax

02-08-2018, 07:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

As I read it, the need was for a Studio flash head that could be used at relatively low power settings in order to obtain the motion freezing effects of the very short durations.
02-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
As I read it, the need was for a Studio flash head that could be used at relatively low power settings in order to obtain the motion freezing effects of the very short durations.
Exactly. I need something that can be used outside, battery powered. With lots of light, at a very short duration, around 1/6000 seconds. I think the Godox Witstro will give me about 6-8 meters to work with at these speeds. The Einstein would work as well. I can get the GODOX one for $850 CAN. The Einstein with battery pack would be close.

I got the shots by opening the shutter, 1/20 or so, then triggering the flash.

This is what I'm trying to get.

02-08-2018, 08:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Wow, that's quite rig! How have I ever managed with only one camera!?!?

So, you're shooting in the dark? I can see why you'd need short flash durations for those subjects ..... But why 1/20th sec shutter? Surely for that sort of shot you might as well shoot at max sync speed, as there's no ambient anyway ....? I'd think you would get more sharpness at max sync speed.
02-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #8

I have done some test with my Godox AD600M and two Cactus V6 II trigger (one on camera as transmitter, the other in the sync port of the Godox set to Receiver and HSS turned on on the Godox) and so far everything seems to work up to 1/8000 of a second.
So, if you do not mind to change settings on the flash manually you will not need the Godox trigger.

If you do not want to use HSS: If I set the power on the Godox to 1/64 of a second the display tells me that the flash duration will be a bit above 1/6000 of a second. This way you could use any shutter speed up to the sync speed of your Kamera (which is 1/200 for the K1).

Hope this helps and I got everything right here,
Martin

PS. As for the remark about the shutter speed: Your pictures will not be sharper if you use a higher shutter speed (up to sync speed of your camera) as speedlites will always be faster than any movement in low power settings. (I guess that is why you have many of them in your setup or do they fire one after the other? This would explain why you are using a slow shutter speed.)

02-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I forget precisely the shutter speed. The bodies and flashes were triggered by a raspberry pi output board, so I opened the shutter, triggered the flash, close the shutter. With a few ms in between to make it work.

I want to make it simple. And be able to illuminate further out.

The speedlights were set to 1/8 power and all triggered at the same time.

---------- Post added 02-08-18 at 02:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxrookie Quote
If I set the power on the Godox to 1/64 of a second the display tells me that the flash duration will be a bit above 1/6000 of a second.
Thanks for this. I couldn't find any documentation on what light I would have at those speeds.

I see the Einstein will give me 1/6000 approx at 1/4 power.

I talked to someone at The Camera Store in Calgary, and she is going to check with the Godox rep and try to get some more precise specs. I'll share what I get.

Last edited by derekkite; 02-08-2018 at 04:24 PM.
02-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Does the Cactus work with this?
As you are not using HSS, any simple trigger (of course including the Cactus V5/V6/V6II, but also a native Godox trigger) will work.
02-09-2018, 12:39 AM   #11

I forget precisely the shutter speed. The bodies and flashes were triggered by a raspberry pi output board, so I opened the shutter, triggered the flash, close the shutter. With a few ms in between to make it work.

I want to make it simple. And be able to illuminate further out.

The speedlights were set to 1/8 power and all triggered at the same time.

---------- Post added 02-08-18 at 02:59 PM ----------

Thanks for this. I couldn't find any documentation on what light I would have at those speeds.

I see the Einstein will give me 1/6000 approx at 1/4 power.

I talked to someone at The Camera Store in Calgary, and she is going to check with the Godox rep and try to get some more precise specs. I'll share what I get.
And maybe there is one thing for your consideration too: The Godox is completely silent except when flahing which is quite loud.
I do not know how loud the fan of the Einstein is and if this will disturb the bats.
02-09-2018, 01:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

do not know how loud the fan of the Einstein is and if this will disturb the bats.
Unlikely. Though some of the sounds made by the electronics of the flash units themselves may reach ultrasonic levels which could potentially disrupt their flight patterns.

The Godox is completely silent except when flahing[sic] which is quite loud
At 1:1 power any flash over 100ws will be pretty loud - that popping sound is actually a sonic boom. I doubt think the Einstein 600ws is any quieter than my Elinchrom 600ws heads, if the energy levels are the same: it stand to reason the acoustic noise should be similar.