Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
This is all new to me, and looks interesting.
I have questions for those who understand this stuff, but please excuse my ignorance.
I had a look at the Cactus quick guide or getting starting document, and to a novice it was a bit of a confusing document.
It seems to imply that a shutter release cable was needed, or is this only when the V6 is not mounted on the hotshoe?
My interest in this is to have an ability to control a remote flash ( AF540FGZ II) using a K-3 II or K-1 (no built in flash). Is this possible using the V6 II mounted on the hotshoe?

Cheers,
Terry
Terry

A cable is not needed for normal use of the V6II triggers, they operate by radio. You can use the V6II as a shutter release in which case you will need a cable, but this is purely optional.

To operate a AF540 off camera your will need two radio triggers. one on the hotshoe and one on the AF540. If you get the V6II triggers and update to the latest firmware you can have full P-TTL flash operation or have full manual control if you wish.

02-16-2018, 05:25 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Terry

A cable is not needed for normal use of the V6II triggers, they operate by radio. You can use the V6II as a shutter release in which case you will need a cable, but this is purely optional.

To operate a AF540 off camera your will need two radio triggers. one on the hotshoe and one on the AF540. If you get the V6II triggers and update to the latest firmware you can have full P-TTL flash operation or have full manual control if you wish.
Thanks pschulte, for the helpful and quick reply.

Cheers,
Terry
02-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks pschulte, for the helpful and quick reply.
Forgot to say you will need a cable to connect you V6II units to your computer to update the firmware. it is a usb to "some kind of little socket thingy" cable. Hopefully someone will be able to provide a link to a suitable cable if you don't have a local electronics store nearby.
02-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Forgot to say you will need a cable to connect you V6II units to your computer to update the firmware. it is a usb to "some kind of little socket thingy" cable. Hopefully someone will be able to provide a link to a suitable cable if you don't have a local electronics store nearby.
I don't think that will be a big problem, I think it is a mini USB connector on the unit, but that's easily sorted.
One other thing, I assume we (Pentx users) need the 'standard' hot shoe fitting on the Cactus, is that correct?
As an aside, looking at who's selling these units and prices, buying here in Oz is a bit expensive...about AUD180, whereas landed here from B&H is about AUD130.

Cheers,
Terry

02-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's just a standard USB 2.0 to USB mini cable. I couldn't find an extra one so I just unplugged my keyboard and used that cable for upgrading the firmware, lol.

---------- Post added 02-17-18 at 12:59 AM ----------

I don't think that will be a big problem, I think it is a mini USB connector on the unit, but that's easily sorted.
One other thing, I assume we (Pentx users) need the 'standard' hot shoe fitting on the Cactus, is that correct?
As an aside, looking at who's selling these units and prices, buying here in Oz is a bit expensive...about AUD180, whereas landed here from B&H is about AUD130.

Cheers,
Terry
Not sure what you mean but I just mount one of the units on my K-1's hotshoe in Texas mode and set the camera profile to Pentax on the unit, works fine.

As for finding them cheaper, I've bought all mine used from Adorama for $69/each. Cheapest I could find. They appear brand new though one had a little sync cable in the box and the other didn't. Make sure you read the package contents on the store page in case anything is missing. Like a stand or the manual.
02-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ne other thing, I assume we (Pentx users) need the 'standard' hot shoe fitting on the Cactus, is that correct?
There is only one hotshoe size.
02-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
One last bit of advice, if you're buying a USB to USB mini cable... Make sure it isn't labeled as a 'charging cable'. They actually sell cables with the only the charging wires and the data transfer cables are left out to save on the cost.

An Amazon basics cable ought to be fine.

---------- Post added 02-17-18 at 01:06 AM ----------

Unless you're Sony!

02-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zazism_rx Quote
Unless you're Sony!
Oh i see. I did not know that was the reason for the two versions of the V6II. Terry....order the one that does not say SONY !!
02-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh i see. I did not know that was the reason for the two versions of the V6II. Terry....order the one that does not say SONY !!
I'm not sure if that's the specific reason.. but several of Sony's cameras built before the NEX-6 had a proprietary hot shoe, but they had since switched back.

They do make cheap little $10 adapters for that, however it might just be a technical limitation on the Cactus unit. These little V6II's have about 20 different little pins on thier hotshoe because of all the systems they need to adapt to. It's possible with Sony's pin placement it just wouldn't fit on the unit, without causing issue. That's just a theory though.
02-17-2018, 12:42 AM   #25

So the minimum we need to operate 1 flash is a V6 II transceiver and what trigger? Sorry I am new to this.
02-17-2018, 02:26 AM   #26
Veteran Member

2 V6II transceivers ..... One on the camera set to Tx mode, one on the flash set to Rx mode.

The exception is with Cactus's own RF60/x flashes, which have the transceiver built in, making a very cost effective solution for those looking for new flashes also.
02-17-2018, 05:48 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zazism_rx Quote
several of Sony's cameras built before the NEX-6 had a proprietary hot shoe, but they had since switched back.
The current Sony hot-shoe is still a proprietary ("Multi Interface Shoe") one. Yes, they went back to the standard ISO centre contact placement, but Sony uses a number of additional pins at the front of the hot-shoe. This is the reason why there is a Cactus V6IIs ("s" for "Sony"). Only this version can fully work with Sony cameras and flashes, i.e., support HSS (or more with the X-TTL firmware variant).
02-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, but it comes in two different forms, according to B&H.
One is "standard shoe" and the other is the "Sony Multi Interface Shoe".
Now that I look closely at them, it does look like the "standard" show would be the one for Pentax.

Cheers,
Terry
02-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, but it comes in two different forms, according to B&H.
One is "standard shoe" and the other is the "Sony Multi Interface Shoe".
Now that I look closely at them, it does look like the "standard" show would be the one for Pentax.

Cheers,
Terry
That's correct. The standard works with Pentax.
02-19-2018, 03:06 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Sure, I'm using a Metz 58 AF-2 and the V6II works fine with it (both multi-brand and X-TTL firmware variants).
Do you need a Cactus receiving unit with the Metz 58 AF-2 ?