Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2018, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
Do you need a Cactus receiving unit with the Metz 58 AF-2 ?
Yes you will need two Cactus units to operate one off camera flash- one on the hotshoe in TX mode and one on the flash in RX mode. The exception to this is the cactus RF60X flash which has a cactus reciever built in- with this you need just one Cactus V6II on the hotshoe.

02-19-2018, 05:52 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
Do you need a Cactus receiving unit with the Metz 58 AF-2 ?
Yes, you need one V6II unit on the camera and another V6II unit attached to the Metz 58 AF-2.

EDIT: Sorry for the duplication. Pschlute's answer was on the next page and I only saw it after I posted mine.

It is nice to not worry about another device and its associated set of batteries when using an RF60(x). It also recycles rather quickly, doesn't require a pre-flash when used in manual control and has some further advantages.

However, if one already owns a Metz 58 AF-2 then it is less costly to upgrade it with a V6II unit, compared to buying a new RF60(x).
02-24-2018, 03:56 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just an update, got my third cactus unit today... HSS success!

Can confirm these Cactus V6II's will allow for high speed sync between different brands, here's what I did.

1. Flashed the HSS firmware on all 3.
2. Attached one V6II to the Yongnuo 600EXRT II, set the flash profile to Canon and set the flash to E-TTL. RX mode.
3. Attached one V6II to the Pentax AF360FGZ II, set the flash profile to Pentax and set the flash to P-TTL. RX mode.
4. Attached the last unit to my K-1, set the camera profile to Pentax. TX mode.

I am able to achieve high-speed sync, change the power on each flash remotely on the shoe-mounted V6, and control each unit individually (if you put them in separate groups).

Overall, really happy! TTL mode won't work when mixing as far I can tell, I'd need to flash that firmware on the V6II's to do that as well.

Just thought i'd update you guys, incase anyone was wondering about this. Adorama has several used V6II units available for $69 if you wanna snag one.

You could also pick up a Cactus Flash and probably get TTL working as well without another V6II. However, I had an extra 600exrt II so i went this direction.
02-25-2018, 01:39 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Good to hear it's all up and running. Be aware that the "X-TTL" firmware for Pentax will provide TTL with Cactus RF60/x flashes and P-TTL dedicated system flashes, but not with other camera system types.