Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

Cactus V6II - Multi brand HSS?

So.. I have the following:
  • Cactus V6II using X-TTL firmware x2
  • Yongnuo 600EX-RT II (left over from switching from Canon)
  • Pentax AF360FGZ II
  • Pentax K-1
I've confirmed the cactus triggers work with HSS with both flashes individually, but I'm curious if the 600exrt II will work together with the AF360FGZ II if I get a 3rd Cactus V6II trigger in HSS, Or just go for a Cactus RF60x?

has anyone else mixed brands with the V6II triggers and tried this in HSS?

Thanks!

02-15-2018, 10:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If I remember correctly, it will work with HSS in manual mode. I only have the RF60x and AF540FGZ II, so haven't tested it my self..But spoke to Cactus, and if I remember, that is the case TTL only works with AF360, AF540 and Cactus RF60x
02-16-2018, 12:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zazism_rx Quote
has anyone else mixed brands with the V6II triggers and tried this in HSS?
Sure, I'm using a Metz 58 AF-2 and the V6II works fine with it (both multi-brand and X-TTL firmware variants).

As for the Yongnuo 600EX-RT II, it is definitely not supported by the X-TTL firmware variant (as the flash does not implement P-TTL). I don't know whether it is compatible with the multi-brand firmware variant for the V6II. I'd say the answer is probably "yes" and one of the existing Canon profiles should do the job. However, there could be complications due to one or both of the manufacturers not quite implementing the Canon protocol 100%.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
TTL only works with AF360, AF540 and Cactus RF60x
That's not true.

TTL is supported by the X-TTL firmware variant for a wider range of flash models. The requirement is that the flash model supports P-TTL. Again, even models not already supported with an existing flash profile may work with the V6II, depending on how faithful their P-TTL implementation is.
02-16-2018, 02:28 AM   #4

I've been using a Metz 64 AF-2 with a Cactus trigger and also a Cactus RF60x,, when you factor in the cost for the trigger, prob easier to just get a RF60x , you turn both on and they just work, Simples !!!

02-16-2018, 03:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you update the firmware in the RF60 will TTL work with the V6lI using the X-TTL firmware?
I have four RF60’s hence the question.
02-16-2018, 04:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, the older RF60 can take the new firmware, offering the full range of (Pentax compatible) X-TTL features. All that's missing from what the RF60X does is AF Assist and the cooling feature, as far as I remember. I have an RF60 and an RF60X flash controlled by a V6II, and they both work excellently in TTL mode with very exact control.

Last edited by mcgregni; 02-16-2018 at 04:38 AM.
02-16-2018, 06:48 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I'm more concerned with the high-speed sync capabilities not so much the TTL since I'm going to be using them as studio lights.

I realize TTL probably wont work with the cactus V6II's using the 600exrt.

What I'm trying to find out is if I have 3 Cactus V6II's using the HSS firmware. One on my camera, one using my Pentax HSS flash and one using the 600EXRT II HSS flash. Would I be able to use HSS with both flashes at the same time?

They work on thier own but I don't know if there will an issue mixing brands.

---------- Post added 02-16-18 at 02:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Yes, the older RF60 can take the new firmware, offering the full range of (Pentax compatible) X-TTL features. All that's missing from what the RF60X does is AF Assist and the cooling feature, as far as I remember. I have an RF60 and an RF60X flash controlled by a V6II, and they both work excellently in TTL mode with very exact control.
That's interesting! RF60s can be had for about $130 used and I could care less about the AF assist and cooling.

02-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The Cactus X-TTL firmware does not provide "cross-brand" TTL/HSS for Pentax cameras. The parallel"multi-brand" firmware provides cross-brand Manual Mode plus manual HSS.

So forget TTL with the Canon flash. Install the latest Multibrand firmware in all the V6II units. In theory, as I understand the system to work, you should get Radio Manual/HSS with both those flashes. The RX V6II on the Canon should be set to "Camera System: Pentax / Flash System: Canon".
02-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the information mcgregni. Much appreciated.
02-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The AF assist beams coming from both Tx V6II and the RF60x slave works well, but in my testing was not significantly better than the Pentax Flash unit "Spotbeam", so not an essential at all.

The cooling function is really an additional layer of configurable control over recycling and discharging behaviours ...again, not essential, but during intensive sessions it might be helpful as a choice, to either avoid overheat cut outs or alternatively allow unrestricted flashing as soon as enough recharging has occurred.
02-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
The Cactus X-TTL firmware does not provide "cross-brand" TTL/HSS for Pentax cameras. The parallel"multi-brand" firmware provides cross-brand Manual Mode plus manual HSS.

So forget TTL with the Canon flash. Install the latest Multibrand firmware in all the V6II units. In theory, as I understand the system to work, you should get Radio Manual/HSS with both those flashes. The RX V6II on the Canon should be set to "Camera System: Pentax / Flash System: Canon".
Cool thanks! This answered my question .

On a side note, I was looking at a chart on thier page here https://www.cactus-image.com/special/X-TTL/. It looks like if I wanted to use my Pentax flash with the Cactus RF60/x in TTL in conjunction, that would also be an option. So that's something to consider.
02-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes definitely, a Pentax P-TTL/HSS flash offers the same core X-TTL features as the RF60/x. They will both run together in the same X-TTL system. The only difference is that you need a receiving V6II unit on the Pentax flash, which is not required on the Cactus flash.

Looking back at your original post now, I see you have a Yongnuo Canon dedicated system flash ....I assumed above that you meant the Canon original version. I'm afraid that you may be entering more untested terrain with the Yongnuo E-TTL device and Cactus compatibility. In theory it should work "multibrand", but in practice it may be necessary to research this more, perhaps on the Cactus forum or Canon related ones.

Last edited by mcgregni; 02-16-2018 at 09:20 AM.
02-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cool, I went ahead and just ordered a 3rd Cactus V6II (Adorama has a bunch of open box ones for $69) and i'll report back with my findings.

As mentioned my Yongnuo 600EXRTII seems to work just fine with Off camera High-Speed Sync with a two trigger system... so I'm expecting a 3 trigger w/ 2 off-camera flash system to work just fine. We'll see! Thanks for the help!

I don't expect the Youngnuo branded 600exrtII to be an issue, it is almost an exact clone even down to the menu system, in fact I ended up using a Canon manual just to figure out how the thing works!
02-16-2018, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Yes, if it's already tested ok using a single Group then adding extra Groups makes no difference. The V6II makes managing multiple groups a breeze.
02-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is all new to me, and looks interesting.
I have questions for those who understand this stuff, but please excuse my ignorance.
I had a look at the Cactus quick guide or getting starting document, and to a novice it was a bit of a confusing document.
It seems to imply that a shutter release cable was needed, or is this only when the V6 is not mounted on the hotshoe?
My interest in this is to have an ability to control a remote flash ( AF540FGZ II) using a K-3 II or K-1 (no built in flash). Is this possible using the V6 II mounted on the hotshoe?

Cheers,
Terry