Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Strobe Storage Recommendation Needed

Over the course of the last couple of years, I've pieced together a decent collection of monolights. In total, I have about 6 different strobes in varying sizes. I've got a couple of alienbees, a couple of flashpoint monolights, and just recently acquired a couple of Impact monolights (they were really cheap and powerful, so why not?). I purchased a Husky 35 gallon mobile tool box about a year ago and have never really found a decent solution for adding padding/foam to the toolbox. I'd like to be able to protect the monolights when I'm transporting them in the box or just for general storage.

Here are the possible solutions I've been able to come up with so far:
1) Purchasing individual bags for each one and then storing in the box
2) Kaizen Foam
3) Generic Foam from Amazon or an arts and crafts store

I'm not completely sold on any of the solutions because I have no experience doing this kind of stuff. I'm really hoping someone that does can guide me in the right direction.

Thank you ahead of time for any help!

02-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Aluminium flight case with shape-able foam interior. If these will be big enough ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MultiWare-Aluminium-Microphone-Photography-Storage/...KYBRKZ3H0WF6FE
02-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Aluminium flight case with shape-able foam interior. If these will be big enough ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MultiWare-Aluminium-Microphone-Photography-Storage/...KYBRKZ3H0WF6FE
Nice case and cheap, but unfortunately not big enough. The largest strobe I have is a Flashpoint 1220 that is a little over 20 inches long.
02-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Get enough foam 3" thick, I don't really think it matters much what kind, though closed cell will last longer and start filling the box/ Put a layer or two of foam on the bottom, cut foam to fit equipment and put it in, put another layer of foam above that, cut more foam to fit equipment, and carry on from there. If you can store the heads vertically, you will find you have less layering, which will make it easier to remove stuff.
Alternately, get a bunch of bubble wrap, put that around the fragile stuff and put it into the case, the stuff that isn't easily breakable doesn't need padding beyond what is required to keep it from damaging the fragile stuff.

02-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Get enough foam 3" thick, I don't really think it matters much what kind, though closed cell will last longer and start filling the box/ Put a layer or two of foam on the bottom, cut foam to fit equipment and put it in, put another layer of foam above that, cut more foam to fit equipment, and carry on from there. If you can store the heads vertically, you will find you have less layering, which will make it easier to remove stuff.
Alternately, get a bunch of bubble wrap, put that around the fragile stuff and put it into the case, the stuff that isn't easily breakable doesn't need padding beyond what is required to keep it from damaging the fragile stuff.
Any particular foam you recommend? I think that's the part I'm having most difficulty with.
02-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Any particular foam you recommend? I think that's the part I'm having most difficulty with.
It doesn't really need to be anything particularly special. The foam in my road case is closed cell foam from the local fabric shop. They sell it to people who are making cushions for sofas and the like. I like closed cell over open cell because it is a bit more durable, but even that doesn't matter too much. I'd stay away from memory foam, but that's about it.
02-20-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This may not cover the 20 inch light for length, but for other it might do (shortcut below).

3800 Watertight Protective Case - 16-5/16 In.
02-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hardigg may have Storm Cases large enough for your needs at a reasonable price. I have not bought any recently, but they are well sealed.