Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2018, 07:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Robotic flash gun

Canon's robotic flashgun is so clever and so cool. Please Pentax, can we have one like that.

Last edited by Andy Fern; 02-26-2018 at 08:04 AM.
02-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a great idea! I didn't see this one coming!
02-26-2018, 09:00 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's very clever, and I've no doubt some people will love it... but that level of automation leaves me a little cold, in all honesty. In the same way that I don't want my guitar to play itself, I don't want my camera and flash to do everything for me either. Much of the fun of photography, for me, is trial and error, practice, and doing something often enough - in different situations - to be able to instinctively do it. In effect, learning and building my skills. But, like I said, I'm sure some people will love this...
02-26-2018, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's very clever, and I've no doubt some people will love it... but that level of automation leaves me a little cold, in all honesty. In the same way that I don't want my guitar to play itself, I don't want my camera and flash to do everything for me either. Much of the fun of photography, for me, is trial and error, practice, and doing something often enough - in different situations - to be able to instinctively do it. In effect, learning and building my skills. But, like I said, I'm sure some people will love this...

I see your point perfectly. It's the reason one might enjoy shooting in manual mode, which is to take charge and be in control of all aspects of the process. But then again there are the times when aperture priority, program mode and other forms of automation come in very handy. Just like AF, they make life a little easier.
Who knows, it might even lighten the workload for a professional photographer who's having a long day or make bounce flash photography easier for a beginner. I see lots of potential.

02-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It's a great feature but not for me. I am typically taken back by too much automation and automation comes at the expense of greater power requirements so in this case, one would be trading off the number of flashes for an automated head swivel system. Additionally, coupled with a zoom head, it's just one more thing to go wrong (actually two since there are rotations in two axes). I think I can handle the positioning of my flash's head quite well myself and keep it simpler. For someone doing a lot of flash work, I can see that it may be a handy asset. Pretty inventive nonetheless.
02-26-2018, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
To me there's two types of flash users:

1. Those who master flash/studio lighting to create a very specific and controlled look. I am in awe of what they can do. They don't need these AI features. In fact, the AI would probably just get in their way.

2. Those forced to use a flash because their camera can't produce good images in low light. This flash seems targeted more at group 2 but I'd rather have a K-1ii and not need a flash at all.

My view on automation is similar to BigMackCam's. It takes away the fun of photography and actually impedes learning and skill development. From what I've seen, the vast majority of people use automation without paying any attention to what it is doing and why it is doing it (there are exceptions and they could benefit from studying an AI). And when the automation fails (e.g., the bounced surface is not white or creates weird reflections) or they want a different look than what the camera/flash is programmed to create, they have no clue about what to do. They produce a lot of average pictures which may be is great for snapshots but misses a lot of photographic opportunities to create something better if they had just learned manual operations first.