Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2018, 02:37 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HSS: Godox XT32N, Godox Ving 850 Mk I Flash and Cactus V6ii - Setup instructions

Hi.

Some of you will have seen a similar post where I was using the older Godox FT-16 trigger.

This is an instructional thread not intended for comparing setups or systems.

I have since acquired a Godox XT32N trigger so thought I would again provide step by step instructions to achieve HSS using a Pentax DLSR with a very similar setup. So far my testing is only with a K1 but I'll provide more info once I test with my K3.

This thread to is an instructional on how to achieve hss with equipment I will outline below. Note: If you only need flash sync speed at 1/200s or less for the K1 and 1/180s or less for the APS-C DSLR's you can forego the Cactus V6 II.

If anyone wants to compare setup x vs setup y and the plusses and minuses I suggest they start their own thread with that intent.

This threads intent is "instructional" on how to use said equipment. This is to help people use the said equipment if they are having issues getting it all working together.

Please note that in the equipment list I am using the older Godox Ving 850 Mk I which does not have an integrated receiver. The new Mk II has the receiver built-in. The great thing is that Godox included forward compatibility so that by plugging in the XTR16S the Mk I flashes can continue to be used with their now expansive 2.4GHz triggering system.

Equipment List
1 Pentax K1
1 Cactus V6 II
1 Godox XT32N trigger
1 Godox Ving 850 Mk I flash
1 Godox XTR16S receiver (Note: This is not required if you purchase a Godox Ving 850 Mk II flash)

Godox XT32N Trigger
Based on some other posts I thought I may have to cover some pins on the XT32N trigger with some tape. I am happy to report this is NOT required. My only explanation is that maybe the current firmware on the Cactus V6 II (1.1.013) resolved some kind of issue. I am guessing here.

Setup Instructions
1. Update firmware on the Cactus V6 II to 1.1.013 (this is a once off task)
2. Mount Cactus V6 II trigger in camera hotshoe
3. Mount Godox XT32N trigger on the Cactus trigger
4. Set sync mode to Normal HSS (on Cactus V6 II trigger)
5. Set Camera System: Pentax (on Cactus V6 II trigger)
6. Set Flash System: Manual Flash (on Cactus V6 II trigger)
7. Set HSS mode on the Godox Ving 850 Mk I (long press the 3rd button under the LCD)
8. Plug the Godox XT16S into the Godox Ving 850 Mk I.

The steps in images to help anyone else who may try this are at the bottom of the post.

Good luck and enjoy having HSS with fast recharge times, wireless manual control (Godox XT32N trigger) of the flashes and expandability options with the wider Godox flash system.

Cheers,
Howie Be

---------- Post added 02-28-2018 at 02:46 AM ----------

Hi.

Here is the final image on setting the HSS mode on the flash as it was not included.

Howie Be

---------- Post added 02-28-2018 at 02:51 AM ----------

Final image setting HSS mode on the flash.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 

Last edited by howieb101; 02-28-2018 at 02:49 AM.
02-28-2018, 05:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks, a great helpful post and the pictures are good to see too. If Godox follow the course of Phottix and Cactus perhaps the days of trigger stacking will soon come to an end. .....
02-28-2018, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Thanks for the post and the time you spent testing it.

I can confirm that the same setup worked with:

* FT16 (use FT16r receiver)
* XT16
* XT32C (notice, Canon version)
* XProC

instead of the XT32N.

Tested on K3-II and K5 cameras .

Regards.
02-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Please, can you try the same set with the latest PEN.A.001 CACTUS V6 II firmware?

Thank you

02-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I believe the PEN.A.001 firmware is only for use with Cactus RF60/x flashes or P-TTL dedicated system type flashes at the receiving end (and V6II receiving transceivers) ... ?

Although, if its only being used to generate the trigger signal beyond the Max Sync Speed, then perhaps it doesn't matter?
02-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I believe the PEN.A.001 firmware is only for use with Cactus RF60/x flashes or P-TTL dedicated system type flashes at the receiving end (and V6II receiving transceivers) ... ?

Although, if its only being used to generate the trigger signal beyond the Max Sync Speed, then perhaps it doesn't matter?
PEN.A.001 has to manage P-TTL, with compatible P-TTL "devices", and/or MANUAL with other flashes.

A test with the set of the OP would be much appreciate.
02-28-2018, 10:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Hello,

As far as I know, with the PEN firmware you can't stack a trigger on top of the Cactus V6 II. It seems that no signal is transmitted to the top shoe, this is the problem. I don't remember if it happens at any speed or only for speeds above 1/180. I tested it when I was playing with my XProC trigger, and this is why I have the HSS firmware installed instead of the PEN.

If I have time this evening, I will test it using the howieb101's setup (K3-II + V6 II + XT32C + V850), and will tell you.

Regards.

---------- Post added 28-02-18 at 07:00 PM ----------

Hi, it's me again. I did the tests.

With the PEN firmware, cactus V6 sends triggering signal to the top shoe for speeds up to 1/180 (APS-C cameras). No signal is sent above such speed. Tested with XT32C & XproC.

Also, I noticed that the camera has a weird behaviour if I set the flash profile to CANON/V860C (the profile I use with my XproC) & PEN firmware, so it's safer to remain with MANUAL FLASH profile.

Regards.

02-28-2018, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Great to have such a detailed list of instructions!

It may be instructive to know, however, that every component specification made matters. In other words, one cannot simply replace one Godox trigger model or a Godox flash model with another one and still expect the above to work. That's why supplementary posts like that from morenjavi are really helpful.

It may further help to be aware of the fact that Cactus does not officially support trigger stacking. I understand they are trying to make it work as much as possible, but they don't advertise the V6II as an "HSS converter" and, judging from the Cactus responses I've seen on the community forum, don't regard supporting this functionality as a priority.

As a result, it is very good that the guides also specifies the firmware version for the V6II (I don't know how important it may be to mention Godox firmware versions as well). To elaborate: First, there have been firmware versions in the past that did not support some forms of trigger stacking or required different configurations. Second, trigger stacking may not continue to work in future firmware versions. I'm not trying to be negative or pessimistic, I'm just pointing out that mentioning firmware versions is important and that one should prepare for the eventuality that one may has to stop updating firmwares, if indeed future ones will break the functionality.

Last edited by Class A; 03-03-2018 at 03:59 AM.
03-01-2018, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Hello ClassA, I fully agree with you and understand your point of view about stacking. We're are taking advantage of a (nice) kind of 'side effect' on the V6 II: it transmits the HSS signal from our beloved Pentax cameras. But this 'feature' is not officially supported and we are not sure if Cactus will keep it on future firmwares. PEN firmware is not supporting it yet; about HSS firmware, I think Cactus will keep it... well, who knows.

Regards.
03-01-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I think that CACTUS has to be happy of this side effect because photographers can use flash sets and pro strobes built for other systems. In this way also a system "switch" would be more easy.

I tried with some Yongnuo RF-603 NII triggers and with 1.1.0.13 or with PEN.A.001 firmware they work flawlessy. I haven't tried HSS but these triggers are very simple and specs say that they support max 1/320. Surely if the two firmwares have different behaviors ALSO with "connected devices" (a stacked trigger is a sort of manual flash) I will be not happy!
03-03-2018, 03:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hi.

I would just like to add that I have now tested with an identical setup using a K3 Mk I.

I can confirm that it is working as expected.

Regards,
Howie Be