Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Multi-color gelled flash lighting

I was trying to set up some gelled flash lighting with each strobe being a different color. The resulting being that the shadows are split into the different strobe colors.

I'm not quite getting the look I like. I'm close but can't seem to figure out a few things.
Oddly I just saw something on the Internets (Facebook, I think) about the exact topic. Click bait style over-the-top title of someone famous doing this style shot for fashion or advertising, etc... Regardless, it showed the results I was looking for.

Sadly, I wasn't in a position to read or bookmark it and now I cannot for the life of me find the article (or any worthwhile), neither on Facebook nor with google searches.
I don't expect anyone to know the exact article, but any help on how to get good separation of color would be appreciated.

I'm trying to use grided strobes, as I would assume the more directed light would work best.
Maybe I'm wrong. ???

03-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Check out strobist. Lighting 103 is what you are looking for.
03-10-2018, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

You need long snoots to stop the lights bleeding into each other. You can make them up yourself pretty easy.
03-10-2018, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yup, snoots or a grid on each light to define the spill. good luck

If it's a still life(non moving scene), you could experiment with shooting each colored light as a separate exposure then doing a lighten mode blend.

03-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sadly, moving subjects. (well, not perfectly still).
But at least it sounds like I'm on the right track.
I'll check out Strobist, I've lost track of how stuff over the past couple of years. :-)

thanks