Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2018, 07:14 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Achieving HSS Happiness with Cactus

After watching Gavin Hoey on Youtube, I was inspired to try using high speed sync (HSS). I got out my K-5, my Cactus RF60X flash, and my Cactus V6II trigger. I read the manuals again (it had been a while) and learned that all I had to do was set the trigger to HSS and the flash unit would automatically use HSS as well. Excellent!

Nothing happened when I pressed the shutter.

So after checking and rechecking everything I eventually noticed that the trigger and flash combination worked just fine when the shutter speed was at 180 or below, but not above. HSS was not working. I then checked with Cactus and noted that there was a recent firmware update for the flash unit (Version A.04). I updated the RF60X and while I was at it reinstalled the firmware update for the V6II. And it works!

Sometimes the fix for these things can be remarkably easy. I thought that I would pass it along.

PS Here is the link:

Last edited by MikeW; 03-11-2018 at 07:15 AM. Reason: formatting
03-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeW Quote
...while I was at it reinstalled the firmware update for the V6II.
That was probably what did the trick.

I'm assuming your flash was running an "A..." firmware version (-> TTL-capable) whereas your trigger was running a multi-brand version.

One has to make sure to use firmware versions (multi-brand vs X-TTL) that are compatible with each other.
With the variant you are running now, you should be able to get automatic metering on top of HSS.

N.B., I prefer to set my flash levels manually, but sometimes it can be good to have an option for automatic metering.
03-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'm assuming your flash was running an "A..." firmware version (-> TTL-capable) whereas your trigger was running a multi-brand version.
Yes, to the first. The flash was running an "A..." firmware version. But, I'm not quite sure what you mean by the second. The trigger was set to Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
One has to make sure to use firmware versions (multi-brand vs X-TTL) that are compatible with each other.
With the variant you are running now, you should be able to get automatic metering on top of HSS.
Cool! I've been using manual so far, but I'll try it with automatic.
03-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeW Quote
But, I'm not quite sure what you mean by the second. The trigger was set to Pentax.
That tells me that you were indeed using the standard multi-brand version. Only the latter allows configuring the trigger to a camera brand. The advantage of the multi-brand variant is that you can move the trigger between various camera brands without having to change the firmware.

The X-TTL firmware variant is always specific to a camera brand, so there is no respective way of selecting the camera brand.
The advantage of the X-TTL firmware variant is that it adds full P-TTL support, including automatic metering and second-curtain sync. If you are only using the trigger on Pentax cameras then the X-TTL variant is probably the best choice for you.

03-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
FWIW, I found this link on cactus-imaging's site. It is helpful to see all of this laid out in a table.

Cactus V6 II / IIs Wireless TTL HSS Flash Transceiver