Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2018, 06:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Metz 64 AF-1

Hi everyone,

I have had this flash for over a year and unfortunately it has not been used for a quite a long time. But the other day I tried to fire it without luck Batteries are fresh, it turns on just fine and I can navigate through the menus. But I just can't fire it, neither manually nor mounted on the camera (Pentax K1).

I have contacted Metz in Germany and the refer to the seller in Germany. Well the seller does not respond to my email. Anyway... somewhere on the Internet someone mention that if flash MUST be used at least once every third month, otherwise a capacitor goes dead.

Is there anyone here with any experience of this kind? Does it pay to send the flash for repairment or should i purchase a new one?

Thank you in advance

Regards

03-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Page 142 of the Metz 58 af-2 flash states that the flash capacitor will undergo “physical change” if the unit is not switched on fo 10 minutes every 3 months. I suspect that the af-1 is the same.
03-14-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbone51 Quote
Page 142 of the Metz 58 af-2 flash states that the flash capacitor will undergo “physical change” if the unit is not switched on fo 10 minutes every 3 months. I suspect that the af-1 is the same.
Nice to remember, just finished to pop some flashes just in case.
Thanks
03-15-2018, 02:50 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you guys for your info and comments. I have finally just received a reply from the seller who asks me to send the flash over for repair... and it will be on "warranty" because there is 2-years warranty on the unit and I did not realize it So I hope everything goes well.

I will let you know if something new shows up. Thank you all once again.

Regards
Hamid

04-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own many old flashes. Still works even though not used for years. An exception is the built in flash in my Pentax K-5. It died since I hardly ever used it..
04-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I got my flash repaired by Metz, Germany under the terms of warranty... for FREE

Thank you Metz

Cheers guys