Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #1

Firing flash beyond 1/180? Is it possible without a HSS speedlight?

Hi to all. I have a question and need your help.

I know K-3II flash syncs at maximum 1/180 but is there a way to make it fire the flash with speeds beyond 1/180 and without having a HSS capable speedlight? I have a speedlight with stroboscopic capabilities (up to 90 number of flashes per second) that I believe can do the HSS trick IF Pentax let me activate the speedlight. Maybe I'm wrong...

I've tried and tried but with no luck. Is the K-3II programmed (by firmware) to not to flash with speeds beyond 1/180? if so, how is it possible for a HSS speedlight to fire the flash? Is it recognized by one of the pins in the hotshoe?

Thank you so much in advance for your kind help!

03-17-2018, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The camera won’t let you go above sync unless the camera knows the flash is in hss mode.
03-17-2018, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #3

Is it dedicated Pentax flash? If so it certainly is possible. In case of 360/540 FGZ2 simply leave green P program, set flash to HS sync and enjoy.
03-17-2018, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Have you tried manual mode?

03-17-2018, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To prevent the frame being cut off, your camera will not fire a flash at faster than 1/180s unless it detects an HSS compatible trigger or flash is attached.

03-18-2018, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #6

Get yourself 2 x Cactus V6ii triggers and enjoy sync speeds up to 1/8000 sec, you'll need one set as trigger TX and one set with the flash attached as RX
03-18-2018, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I managed to do that once, years ago, with my K-5 and 340FGZ and got dark banding on the image. I don't remember how did it but i did. Best to use HSS

03-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #8
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Does anyone have a link to a comprehensive list of third-party HSS flashes that are available to Pentax?

The latest Pentax branded ones are sort of out of my price range. I do have a AF-360FGZ that has HSS, but it only tilts and I want swivel too.

I've heard conflicting reports of Yongnuo YN585EX P-TTL having HSS or not.
I've recently learned there's a Shanny SN600FGZ HSS P-TTL option, too.

Are there any others I should be aware of?

Thanks!
03-18-2018, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
I have a speedlight with stroboscopic capabilities (up to 90 number of flashes per second) that I believe can do the HSS trick IF Pentax let me activate the speedlight
I think there is more to HSS than simply pulsing a flash. The pulses have to start before the first curtain starts its travel and continue until after the second one closes.
03-18-2018, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I know K-3II flash syncs at maximum 1/180 but is there a way to make it fire the flash with speeds beyond 1/180 and without having a HSS capable speedlight? I have a speedlight with stroboscopic capabilities (up to 90 number of flashes per second) that I believe can do the HSS trick IF Pentax let me activate the speedlight. !
Sadly, for your own protection -- assuming you're a complete idiot, Pentax cripples the cameras and refuses to allow flash with shutter speed over the sync speed (1/180 for most models, 1/200 for the K1).
At 90 flashes per second, you might catch one flash during the 1/180s shutter speed. It is likely you would catch no flash.

The flash duration is also important. If it is too short (and the camera could actually catch multiple flashes), you might only get thin bands of light at each pulse.
You either need a very long flash duration (no shorter than your sync speed) -- which some brands use to make an HSS compatible flash.
Or true HSS style pulsing that will generate multiple flashes where each pulse is sent before the brightness fades too much from the prior one.

Cactus V6-II transceiver works well with the RF60 for true HSS without the need for an additional PTTL HSS compliant flash. You do need to update the firmware to Pentax specific code, but if you are not swapping between camera models, it works well. I think you can get a couple heads and the transceiver for less than a Pentax flash.
03-18-2018, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Yup, I've been very pleased with my Cactus RF60 and V6II's. The HSS is really easy to do using them. Here is a link to their site: HOME | CACTUS
03-18-2018, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

FozzFoster

I can confirm you that the Yongnuo YN585EX P-TTL does not have HSS.

Best regards,
03-18-2018, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Does anyone have a link to a comprehensive list of third-party HSS flashes that are available to Pentax?
If you are on a budget, go for the Shanny.

You can look through here for a list of somewhat older 3rd party PTTL flashes, many of which will do HSS and may also be available new:
The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

Many of the Metzes may still be available new, even some of the Sigma flashes.

Any list of Pentax third party HSS flashes should also include Priolite flashes, of course, but they won't be useful to you if you are on a tight budget.

If you are on a very tight budget, already have an AF-360FGZ, but simply want more swivel/bounce with your HSS, you could also just use a hot-shoe extension cable ...
03-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you very much to all for your responses!
A HSS flash will be the answer then. I'll probably try the Shanny as the Pentax even tough is -no doubt- excellent, is a little too expensive for me.
What I don't understand is why Pentax cripples the camera in the idea of protecting users from black banding. Anyway, thank you all again for your help.
03-18-2018, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

What I don't understand is why Pentax cripples the camera in the idea of protecting users from black banding. Anyway, thank you all again for your help.
Well, black banding's bad, and you don't have to go far past 1/200s to make the image completely unusable.

But there should be a menu item to disable it ... sometimes you only need the central bit of the picture and cropping is fine.

Last edited by clackers; 03-18-2018 at 09:49 PM.