Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #1

1 trigger, 2 Cameras, 3 flashes is it posable???

Dose anyone in Pentax land have any experience with firing two cameras and three flashes @ the same time.
Explanation: I will be setting up two cameras 90 deg apart facing the subject. I want to trigger them simultaneously and have them both take advantage of the same three flashes?
Any input would be much appreciated!!!!

03-21-2018, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Some Cactus V6 II triggers and Cactus cables, if you want some automatism or some Yongnuo RF 603 NII with Yongnuo C1 cables to go all manual.
03-21-2018, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Should not be a problem.

Camera remote > Camera 1 & 2
Wireless Trigger on either camera > 3 flashes.
03-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
I guess my main question would be, will the two cameras sync together? The flash duration is so short that if there was any defiance in the shutter lag time it would throw off proper exposure.

03-21-2018, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
I guess my main question would be, will the two cameras sync together? The flash duration is so short that if there was any defiance in the shutter lag time it would throw off proper exposure.
Hmm... hard to say..
You can use a lower shutter speed to increase your chance of success though..
03-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Hmm... hard to say..
You can use a lower shutter speed to increase your chance of success though..
I had thought about that but I was hopping to use HSS
Probably will just need to experimenting 😲
03-21-2018, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Yeah, one camera is likely to lag behind in shutter response -- better chance if the cameras are same model and better still if you are only using electronic shutter. If all/most of the illumination is going to be from the flashes, you could use use a very slow shutter (or even bulb) and fire the cameras separately prior to firing the flashes to guarantee they both have an open shutter.

03-21-2018, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I guess my main question would be, will the two cameras sync together?
If the two cameras are not copies of the same model then chances are that they will have different shutter lag and thus not take the photo at exactly the same time.

You should probably be able to work around that by using Cactus V6 or V6II triggers and set a delay on one of them to slow down the faster camera of the two. Due to shutter lag, you wouldn't be able to fire one camera and expect the other camera to be triggered in turn by that. You will have to use one remote trigger unit to fire both cameras at the same time (with one of them being slightly delayed). This means you'd have to use a minimum of three trigger units.

How are you triggering your three flashes? Is one of them mounted to a camera and the other two are optically triggered? If you want all of them to fire off-camera you could exploit the "relay" mode of the Cactus triggers. However, you'd have to invest in at least one more unit to be used as a receiver for one of the flashes, bringing up the total of units to four (one as the trigger remote, two for the cameras (with shutter release cables), one for one of the flashes).

EDIT: Maybe you can work with one less unit, as you may not need a remote release unit. If being close to one of the cameras is fine, it may work to release it with the attached trigger and release the other camera via radio at the same time. I could try that, in case you are interested.

Last edited by Class A; 03-23-2018 at 12:25 AM.
03-21-2018, 11:39 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the input!!!
I have (2) Cactus RF60X's, (1) V6II & (2) V6' s (not being used in this setup)
I've been using a Canon 550EX mounted on the V6II setting on top of my K3II. With the V6II transmitting to the two RF60X's doing HSS.
What I want to do is add a second body at a 90 deg. angle to capture the image at the exact same time without firing more flashes. I am also triggering the camera with a Pixel 2.4GHz Digital Wireless Remote Shutter Release (not infrared a can't be in the line of sight) I have looked into using the V6/V6II as triggers but unfortunately when you use them as a trigger they will not simultaneously work as a transmitter so on the camera you have to stack two 😞 So you need a total of 4 one in hand, one on camera to trigger, one on camera to transmit and one on the second camera to trigger it 😞 that's why I've gone with the Pixel Remote shutter I bought two for half the price of another V6II
I need to use HSS because of the amount of ambient light I'm getting if I shoot at the max sync speed for Pentax I get to much motion blur. This is not in a studio so I'm not in control of the external lighting 😟
I've attached a photo of what I would like to capture from 90 degrees to the bowlers right. With both angles it would make for great photo printed on an 8x12 (I do this on site)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by Photobill; 03-21-2018 at 11:49 PM.
03-23-2018, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

What I want to do is add a second body at a 90 deg. angle to capture the image at the exact same time without firing more flashes.
OK, you should be able to do that with the equipment you have, provided you have two shutter release cables for your cameras that plug into the V6(II).

I have looked into using the V6/V6II as triggers but unfortunately when you use them as a trigger they will not simultaneously work as a transmitter so on the camera you have to stack two.
I'm rather sure what you believe is not true and that the "relay mode" is what you need.

Putting an on-camera V6(II) into "relay mode" means that it will wait for a remote radio signal. Upon receiving it, it will release the shutter of the camera (camera release cable connection required) and then (temporarily) switch to transmitter mode. It will then wait for the camera to generate the flash trigger signal on the hot-shoe. Once it arrives, it will fire any on-camera (-> on V6(II)) flash and any external flashes (such as your RF60X's). After that, it goes back to receiver mode in order to be able to trigger the camera again.

Have a look into your V6(II) manual to learn more about the "relay mode".

So you need a total of 4 one in hand, one on camera to trigger, one on camera to transmit and one on the second camera to trigger it.
With "relay mode" engaged, you only need three:
  1. One in hand (as a remote).
  2. One on the camera (serving a dual purpose as a camera release and main flash controller).
  3. One connected to the second camera to trigger it.
As both V6 and V6II can do the "relay" trick, you should be able to combine your existing triggers to make everything work. I hope aligning the exact shutter release times will be possible using a trigger delay on the faster camera. I'm optimistic that it will work but note that camera shutter lag can vary a bit (depending on how busy the camera is, e.g., still writing a file or similar). So you may experience some inconsistencies due to that. However, as you are using HSS, there might be enough of a safety margin for that to not matter too much.

If your Pixel Remote triggers support setting a delay for a receiver individually, you could use those alternatively.

Last edited by Class A; 03-23-2018 at 12:29 AM.