Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #1

645 Z + Cactus V6II + Speedlights Yongnuo 600EX-RTII + Highspeed sync = PROBLEM

Hello there !
I'm new here and I'd like to tell you my problem.
So today I tried to take highspeed sync test pix with the cactus V6II trigger ( recently updated for Pentax cameras ) .
My Zed set on manual mode connected to my cactus transmitter set up as follow: "Pentax" for "camera", "Canon" for flash system and "Yongnuo YN600EX" for flash profile.
My speedlight Yongnuo YN600EX was connected to the Cactus receiver set up as follow: Flash system "Canon", flash profile: "Yongnuo YN600ex".
At my big surprise, the speedlight responded to the trigger beyond this too slow 1/125th ! 1/200 ok. 1/400 ok... and so on.
I was happy with tha because it was the first time i had such a positive result !

But... For there is a "but" and it's a serious one: a black strip in the upper part of the picture wastes the whole thing as you can see on the two attached test pix (speed 1/3200)

I hope I was clear enough and maybe here someone on this forum has got a solution. And sorry for my poor english !
Thanks in advance
Didco75

Attached Images

03-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You'll need to specify the firmware versions you're using in the Cactus triggers. You said "recently updated for Pentax cameras", which suggests you mean the "X-TTL" firmware .... ?

This is not usable "Cross Brand" for Pentax cameras. So your Yongnuo Canon system flash is not compatible when using the X-TTL firmware. The cross brand feature is available with the older 'multi-brand' firmware version. This is not TTL, offering only Manual Flash mode, plus manual HSS.

I am not guaranteeing that your banding problem will be solved by changing the firmware, but its necessary to confirm you're using the firmware that is truly compatible with the equipment being used, and to run tests with the compatible firmware.
03-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for your answer.
The firmware number is 1.1.012. It is the last one proposed by Cactus and which includes Pentax
Cameras if I have understood.
I know it isn’t TTL anyway.
So you suggest I erase this new firmware and upload an older one ?
Can you tell me which firmware number I have to upload please.
Thank you Very much for your cooperation
Didco75
03-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In order to use the Cactus V6II with Pentax cameras for both TTL and HSS you will need use Pentax Firmware PEN.A.001 (Release on 07 Nov 2017).

03-24-2018, 04:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The issue with the PEN.A.001 (ie "X-TTL" ) firmware is that it does not provide cross brand TTL, and related features. So there's not much point to it for the OP with his Canon system flash. So he should use the previous "multi-brand" firmware, which provides cross-brand support.

It's obviously working, but with a small syncing problem. I wonder if the Yongnuo flash is actually fully compatible with the V6II system? I would suggest an enquiry at the Cactus Community Forum ......

https://www.cactus-image.com/community/
03-24-2018, 06:25 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you fwbigd and mcmregni for your answers.
I tried the PEN.A.001 and I don't have any "black band" any more. My speedlite is set on "Canon" and "600EX" ( because there only "Yongnuo 580ex" proposed and not "Yongnuo 600ex )
On the TX there is a choice between " TTL ONLY ", "MANUAL ONLY ", "TTL RATIO A:B" and "Mix TTL/Manuel" but I don't see any difference between these three modes. It seems I have to manually set up everything...

I also tried the older 1.1.013 firmware. No "black band" any more. But it does not seem to work in the TTL mode.

I'll make an enquiry at the Cactus Community forum and see what they say about it.
Have a nice day

Last edited by didco75; 03-24-2018 at 11:14 AM.
03-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That sounds good! The main thing is its working. Are you getting no bands at all possible shutter speeds?

The settings you mentioned are just to allow some user personalisation based on your intended mode of working, and removes the chance of making a mistaken entry into a mode you don't want . I believe that if you selected the TTL or mixed TTL/Manual setting that you would not get reliable and correctly working automatic flash exposure control (P-TTL), but manual may well be ok.

Just to clarify. Are you saying that there's no banding now with both firmware options? If so do you know what corrected it with the multi-brand firmware that showed the problem before?

03-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Just to clarify. Are you saying that there's no banding now with both firmware options? If so do you know what corrected it with the multi-brand firmware that showed the problem before?
Yes, there's no banding at all with both firmwares and at any high speed. This was my main problem and it is solved thanks to you.
But I really cannot say why there was this black band with the latest Pentax firmware I downloaded on the Cactus site. Maybe it works for other Pentax cameras but for the 645z.

---------- Post added 03-24-18 at 07:13 PM ----------

PS: sorry to ask one more question but what is "P-TTL" ?
03-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

"Program -Through The Lens" ..... It is the automatic flash metering system used by Pentax cameras, using a pre-flash emitted by the flashes and the reflected/returned light measured by the camera metering system to provide a pre-calculated flash output level for correct exposure. The Nikon equivalent is i-TTL (intelligent) and the Canon is E-TTL (evaluative).

The Cactus system has recently had a new firmware version that uses the P-TTL processes, but via its radio communication system. However to get the automatic metering you need to use Pentax dedicated system type flashes ..... That was why I said this aspect would not work with your Yongnuo, because it is a dedicated Canon type.