Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2018, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The Cactus company have thanked me (@ Facebook) for being proactive pointing out the virus problem. Cactus-image is currently working to solve the issue!

---------- Post added 04-09-2018 at 04:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
@Photodana

BTW, since you are using a K-1 and are based in Copenhagen, could you perhaps visit Phase One and keep banging on their door until they release a better Capture One camera profile for the K-1?

I like Capture One a lot but the standard Capture One profile for the K-1 is not very good in my eyes. Phase One claim they develop a dedicated profile for each camera but there have been cases in which they have just reused profiles from other models or just used a badly tweaked version for a another camera. I believe in case of the K-1 they just adopted the Pentax colour profile which isn't very good either in my eyes. It doesn't look like Phase One developed a profile of their own.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I thought I'd have to give it a try with someone using a K-1 and being that close to Phase One. If you aren't using C1 yourself, I'd say give an evaluation copy a try. You may like it. I find it to be superior to Lightroom.
No, I haven't. (I even know someone who's working there). That's a great idea. I am a Capture One user myself, though I could never afford a PhaseOne camera...
Unfortunately, the see 6
45D, 645Z as competition, and don't even support Pentax RAW files, until the cameras are some years old :-( I had to use lightroom at my first 645D years. I hate Lightroom :-) Only use it for tethering.

04-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #32

Original Poster
This youtube vido explaines how you can use a lot of flashes (different brands) with the same receiver. This is absolutely awesome. Perhaps I can use my Pentax P-TTL flashes on my SONY a6000 :-) >And different flash brands on my K-1, K-3, K-5, K20D, 645D :-)

Last edited by Photodana; 04-09-2018 at 09:02 PM.
04-10-2018, 02:27 AM   #33

Original Poster
The Virus at Cactus-image.com is now gone :-)
04-10-2018, 04:08 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
No, I haven't. (I even know someone who's working there).
If you could approach that person about the K-1's camera profile, that would be absolutely awesome!

I'd be happy to support the process in any way I can. I have a Greta Macbeth "Digital ColorChecker SG" that I could take high-quality images of in various lighting conditions, if that helped.

FYI, I'm currently using a camera profile that was created to emulate Fujifilm Provia colours. It wasn't even meant for the K-1 and I initially tried it just for fun, but the colours it delivers are more accurate and more pleasing than those of the standard C1 profile.

04-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #35

Original Poster
Class A - how do one install such camera profile?
04-12-2018, 12:14 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Class A - how do one install such camera profile?
Just add the .icm file to the directory containing the camera profiles.

If you are using Windows and use the standard C1 installation location and have Capture One Pro 11, the path is

C:\Program Files\Phase One\Capture One 11\Color Profiles\DSLR\

Capture One will pick up any profiles you add to this folder when you start C1 next time.

Capture One uses a file naming scheme in order to make the profile available to you easily. If you use "PentaxK1-" as a prefix for all your custom colour profiles then they will appear directly at the top of the "ICC Profile" selection (in the "Base Characteristics" tool). So for instance a "PentaxK1-FujiProvia" file name, will appear as a "FujiProvia" choice in the selector.

Note that you can choose any profile from any other camera though, regardless of the file names. Just use the "Show all" option in the "ICC Profile" selector and you'll be able to try out many other profiles.

BTW, if you don't want to add your custom profiles to the C1 installation folder, you may be able to do it via a user directory as well. In C1 9, it also worked to place your additional profiles into C:\Users\<YOUR USER LOGIN>\AppData\Local\CaptureOne\Color Profiles. I haven't tried that for C1 11.
04-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #37

Original Poster
Thanks Class A.
I did not upgrade to CO 11. I be getting back on this subject some day soon :-)
About theCactus V6ii triggers:
I have got the V6ii now. It'ss quite complicated. (Today I doubt this will ever work for professional use - hopefully I may come to a different conclusion in a few days. So many buttons and choises!

After updating the firmware twice (must it be the same firmware for Receivers and TRANceivers?). Both flashes fire - AF360FGZ on camera and AF540FGZ off camera.
I can't get the zoom working right - not while zooming on the camera/lens. If I zoom manually on the transceiver, only the "off camera" flash changes focal length setting.
Do I need a a third V6ii for the "on/by the camera fill light flash?

When photographing people, there are so many things to consider. I just can't spend time worrying if the flashes work.
So, I really hope I can get this working. I think found out, that I can't change the setting on the fill flash unit (AF360FGZ) manually (zoom angle and power) - if I do, the key light won't fire ...
So, how can I set the fill flash for eg -2?

Last edited by Photodana; 04-12-2018 at 01:25 PM.
04-12-2018, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

There are a couple of crucial details we need to know to be able to help .... Which exact firmware version are you using, the multi-brand (ie manual only) or X-TTL versions?

Also, are you operating your on -camera flash via TTL passthrough mode (set on the V6II Tx). You previously said you would use it this way, so I assume this is the case. The tiny TTL symbol must appear on the bottom left of the V6II display.

If your on camera flash is operating via TTL passthrough then it is controlled in the same manner as if it was directly on the camera hotshoe. You don't control it with the Cactus controls, you do it all on the flash itself. If in P-TTL mode then set the compensation amount on the flash.

You also previously said you would try Auto Thyrister mode, and I suggested this might not work. I see also that Antonio at Cactus said this also, however the reality is that it is unsupported, but untested also, so it might work ...

However A mode does not support auto zooming , so if in A mode you have to manually zoom the flash head.
04-13-2018, 01:09 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I did not upgrade to CO 11. I be getting back on this subject some day soon :-)
Any time. Interesting subject. Perhaps we should use a different thread for that.

I have got the V6ii now. It'ss quite complicated. (Today I doubt this will ever work for professional use - hopefully I may come to a different conclusion in a few days. So many buttons and choises!
My view is that the many choices make it suitable for professional work as more than the most basic needs are addressed.
Many buttons is better than a few buttons because there is a lot to control and you don't want to go menu diving or pressing complicated button sequences.

I trust it is just a matter of getting used to the possibilities and realising that once everything is configured for your gear, the standard operation really is as simple as it gets.

After updating the firmware twice (must it be the same firmware for Receivers and TRANceivers?).
Sure, both need to run the same variant (either both "PEN.A.001" or a multi-brand version) and it is a good idea to have the version numbers matching (only relevant for the multi-brand variant at the moment, as there is only one X-TTL version -> "PEN.A.001").

I can't get the zoom working right - not while zooming on the camera/lens.
So you are changing the zoom setting on the lens and expect the flashes to change their zoom setting accordingly?

FWIW, I don't think that's not a good idea for off-camera flashes. It can be a useful feature for an on-camera flash (the one you mount on top of the on-camera V6II). Have you tried activating the "TTL pass-through" mode?

In that case the on-camera flash should be zooming along. However, there may be a bug in the current firmware. Mcgregni reported it to Cactus, so he knows more about it than I do (I don't use on-camera flash).

When photographing people, there are so many things to consider. I just can't spend time worrying if the flashes work.
Well, I use the V6II and I never spent a second worrying about the flashes. It just works. Most of the time, I just adjust the overall setting with the dial (all flashes brighter or less bright) and selectively choose which flashes to use (with the group buttons). Any simpler and one would be missing functionality.

So, I really hope I can get this working. I think found out, that I can't change the setting on the fill flash unit (AF360FGZ) manually (zoom angle and power) - if I do, the key light won't fire ...
How are you trying to change the settings on the fill flash unit (the on-camera unit, right)?
Via the V6II? Are you doing that by changing the "fifth group" (the one that normally shown)?
Are you using TTL pass-through?

Note that you could just make all required changes (zoom setting, flash exposure compensation, etc.) on the flash itself, if nothing else is going to work (which would seem unlikely).

I'm assuming with "key light" you mean the "off-camera" flash?
This one should always fire (unless you deactivate its group via the respective group button on the on-camera V6II).
If it doesn't fire, let us know which of the LEDs light up in green: The one on the on-camera V6II? The one on the off-camera V6II receiver?

Take some time to read the manual and come back to ask any questions you may have. I'm confident that you'll get it working. The only catch I could see is the potential bug in the PEN.A.001 firmware regarding the on-camera flash.

McGregni, does the bug exist in the multi-brand variant as well?
If V1.1.013 doesn't work either, there might be an earlier one that works.
04-13-2018, 06:02 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I previously used TTL passthrough with the multi-brand firmware with no problems. It was only when prompted to check it here that I realised it didn't work with the PEN.A.001 version. However my testing with flash in P-TTL mode showed the auto zoom working ok, but not firing. Photodana reports the opposite responses .... If he is using the flash in A mode then no autozooming will occur, that's the way it works normally. If he is using the multi-brand firmware that would explain this response.

Antonio said, as I read it, that a trigger signal would come through to the top of the V6II, but that A mode was not compatible with TTL passthrough, my instinct also. However it's not tested so if a trigger signal comes through the flash will fire and presumably carry out it's independent flash measuring thing...... But not autozoom, that won't work.

Perhaps Photodana, considering you have 2 Pentax HSS flashes now, and you want one on camera for fill, you might firstly find it simpler to use them as designed for, with P-TTL optical wireless control ....? You can set a 1/3 - 2/3 ratio with this. Full details and explanations are in the "Wireless (Off-Camera) Operations" section of my Guide .

At least you could then firstly get confident with managing the camera with ambient and flash light balancing .... The key principles are the same for P-TTL optical and Radio P-TTL control. Then, once that's all going well you can bring in the V6IIs ..... There's clearly a longer learning curve involved with the Radio system as well, and you are trying to do it all at once.

Last edited by mcgregni; 04-13-2018 at 06:21 AM.
04-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #41

Original Poster
I made some tests, using TTL with two Pentax flashes. I'm not sure everything in the Cactus V6ii trigger were set up correctly. But but when setting the TX to TTL+M I can actually dial in +/- Exposure corrections for the off camera flash (group A) in the TX. Furthermore I can manually set exposure correction for the On Camera flash (TTL pass through) on the flash unit . I found, that the fill flash will contribute top cutting off the key light flash, which will then under perform. So I set the key light to "+ correction".
Please look at one of my tests here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bladt/40714265584/in/dateposted/
If you want to see more tests, please go to the album, in order to see the images in the correct order.
Regards
Jens

Last edited by Photodana; 04-13-2018 at 12:22 PM.
04-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Its good to see it all working better now! I take it that you are using the X-TTL firmware and that TTL passthrough is activated. The fill light compensations seem to be having the expected effect. Bear in mind also that by pressing the 'A' group button you can cycle easily between TTL, Manual mode, and Off. It is really a great system and interface I believe, and once set up should prove very reliable and intuitive for practical working.
04-13-2018, 10:00 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Please look at one of my tests here:
Great to see that you apparently are in full control now.

Do you know what you changed from before, when for instance the key light didn't fire for you?

BTW, it appears you are using the X-TTL firmware variant (PEN.A.001). If so, your experience does not confirm the "on-camera" issue mcgregni has reported. If you do use "PEN.A.001", perhaps you can explain to mcgregni how you made the "on-camera" flash (the one sitting on top of the on-camera V6II) work.

P.S.: @mcgregni Is it not correct that the X-TTL firmware variant has no "TTL pass-through" per se anymore? I could change the firmware version on my V6II if that helped with anything. At the moment, I'm preferring the multi-brand version and am a bit unfamiliar with some of the details of the X-TTL firmware, in particular when it comes to on-camera flash usage.

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Bear in mind also that by pressing the 'A' group button you can cycle easily between TTL, Manual mode, and Off.
Yes, and if you know that you'll never want to use "Manual" mode then you can configure the V6II to only cycle between "TTL" and "OFF". This reduction of the cycle length also works if someone wants to exclude "TTL" from the cycle. This is a great configuration option as far as I'm concerned. Why step through modes you are never going to use anyhow?

Last edited by Class A; 04-13-2018 at 10:08 PM.
04-14-2018, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
@mcgregni Is it not correct that the X-TTL firmware variant has no "TTL pass-through" per se anymore? I could change the firmware version on my V6II if that helped with anything. At the moment,

I'm starting to wonder a bit about this now ...... I had originally assumed that the ''TTL Passthrough'' function remained the same as in the multi-brand versions (ie it just 'passes through' the P-TTL communications between flash and camera, in effect as if the V6II wasn't even there). The practical result of this was we had in effect two independent flash systems operating side by side ; the Pentax on-camera flash interacting with the camera and providing automatic flash metering ; and the Cactus Radio system sending power level information to the Radio slaves. The two didn't interfere with each other at all as the P-TTL pre-flash metering was already completed before the main flashes fired.

I have looked again at the X-TTL Quick Start Sheets from Cactus, for the Pentax version, and it does show TTL Passthrough as a function for the Tx unit ..... however, there are some seemingly confusing points ; There is an instruction for ''Adjusting the on camera flash'' by pressing the Menu button and turning the dial ... ?? This surely would not apply to a flash using TTL Passthrough, as that would be controlled on the flash itself ?. Then there is another instruction for ''On Camera Flash : Press and hold the (Menu button) on Tx to change the flash mode : TTL - M. The TTL indicator will show as illustrated"

So that seems to be saying that in TTL Passthrough mode holding the menu button cycles the on-camera flash between TTL and M .... (and presumably then the power / compensation is set as per the first instruction ....??) Its a bit confusing. If this is the case it seems to have changed the whole principle of TTL Passthrough operation, which was that the on camera flash operated as if the V6II was not there at all . Now it seem it is to be controlled via inputs on the V6II ..... ??

I'll have some time tomorrow night to mess around with this equipment, so I'll try things out and report back.
04-15-2018, 01:22 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
... however, there are some seemingly confusing points ;
I believe your confusion stems from a lose use of the term "TTL pass-through".

Technically, "TTL pass-through" should only refer to the scenario when the V6II behaves completely transparently. An ideal implementation of a fully transparent "TTL pass-through" behaviour would be an electrical connection for all pins from the V6II male hot-shoe connector to its female hot-shoe connector. In practice, it would normally suffice for a processor to sit in between but just pass on signals in both directions are they arrive.

My understanding is that the V6 does something very close to the above. The V6II using an X-TTL firmware, on the other hand, probably does something different. The reason why I believe it would not be entirely accurate to refer to what the V6II running an X-TTL firmware does as "TTL pass-through" is because the V6II can translate between flash systems. In other words, you can have a Canon flash on a Nikon camera and TTL would work, as long as you have a V6II running an X-TTL firmware variant. I'm assuming that if a Pentax flash sits on a Pentax camera with a V6II in between then there is no real "TTL pass-through" but a "TTL pass-on", i.e., a forwarding that just doesn't do any system translation.

This technical subtlety probably explains any differences between the V6II multi-brand approach and the V6II X-TTL approach. You also need to bear in mind that there are two ways in which one can operate an on-camera ("on-V6II") flash with the V6II:
  1. as a P-TTL flash. In this case, the flash should be in an unnamed fifth group but should otherwise behave as any other off-camera P-TTL flash. To all intents and purposes, this should be functionally equivalent to the old "TTL pass-through".
  2. as a manual flash. In this case, the flash is manually controlled by the V6II (via the respective "on-V6II flash" screen).

I hope this helps. Note that I'm speculating in parts and that I'm not a regular X-TTL user. I'd be happy to temporarily change the firmware variant, though, if you think I could help.

After reading Photodana's success story, I'm puzzled why you don't seem to get it work. Perhaps there is only an incompatibility with respect to your AF 540 FGZ II, whereas the AF 540 FGZ is properly supported? Seems rather unlikely to me, though. Have you tried using a different flash profile?