Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2018, 04:35 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CactusV6II

I use a Pentax K-1 camera.
I want to use one Cactus RF60x flash as key light, triggered from an on camera V6II.
Can I put a Pentax AF540FGZ (or annother flash) on top of the V6ii, and make this work as fill light (less output than the RF60x)?

Regards
Jens, Denmark

03-31-2018, 05:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What are you trying to do?
If you are shooting manual, then you can put the AF540 as slave. It will then trigger when the RF60x is triggered by the V6II.
Unless you are shooting some sort of TTL then maybe some one could help you. But I think that can get complicated and probably not possible.

Culture.
03-31-2018, 05:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pass through pttl mode wouldn't be the way to do this as it would try to completely expose the scene from the af540. In manual mode it should work fine. I'm pretty sure the mounted flash can be controlled in pseudo manual mode defined as one of the four groups (A,B,C,D) and the remote rf60x can be controlled using a second group so you can control both from one place. To be fair, I may be mistaken as I have the v6 triggers not v6ii.

At worst I would expect you to be able to use the mounted af540's own manual controls in manual mode.
03-31-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The Groups are only for radio slaves..... The flash on top can be set for TTL pass through on the V6II with a long press on the menu button (then it functions as if it were directly on the camera, controlled as normal on the flash itself), or in Manual mode. You would choose P-TTL or M on the flash itself.

I see UncleVanya's point, and indeed Manual might be best for you, however if you are using TTL mode for your off-camera RF60 then it may make sense to work with TTL passthrough, then you have the same way of controlling things for both (ie flash compensation settings). Setting -1.0 or -1.7 on the Pentax is likely to give a good start point for front on fill. You will only be using one group (A) for the Cactus flash ....leave all the others off.

Last edited by mcgregni; 03-31-2018 at 08:37 AM.
03-31-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
Can I put a Pentax AF540FGZ (or annother flash) on top of the V6ii, and make this work as fill light (less output than the RF60x)?
Which Cactus firmware variant do you want to use?

The multi-brand variant (versions 1.1.xyz) will support TTL pass-through for the V6II-mounted flash, but as has been mentioned already, it is probably a better idea to control it manually. The V6II uses a fifth "group" for an on-camera flash; you control it via an extra setting, i.e. not through any of the groups A-D.

The X-TTL variant (versions A.xy) may support full P-TTL control over both the flashes you want to use. I'm actually not sure about the options for an V6II-mounted P-TTL flash; I'd practically never use such a setup myself. Mcgregni may have tried it already.
03-31-2018, 12:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, since you asked I have. ....

It used to work with the V6, but I haven't needed it with the V6II as I got an extra RF60x at the same time.

Unfortunately I cannot get TTL passthrough to work with the V6II, AF-540FGZII and K7 (Pen.001 firmware). The flash head zooms in response to lens zooming, but the flash does not fire. Camera system is set to Pentax, and the exact flash profile is set also. TTL passthrough is set to On in the V6II menu, and the TTL indication is showing after the long press on the menu button. Tried a few times turning it all off and on again, remounting and tightening everything .....no luck.

Last edited by mcgregni; 04-01-2018 at 12:11 AM.
03-31-2018, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
What are you trying to do?
If you are shooting manual, then you can put the AF540 as slave. It will then trigger when the RF60x is triggered by the V6II.
Unless you are shooting some sort of TTL then maybe some one could help you. But I think that can get complicated and probably not possible.

Culture.
Thanks for answering, Culture. Yes, I want TTL. One flash for Key Light. Annother for Fill.

---------- Post added 04-01-2018 at 05:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Pass through pttl mode wouldn't be the way to do this as it would try to completely expose the scene from the af540. In manual mode it should work fine. I'm pretty sure the mounted flash can be controlled in pseudo manual mode defined as one of the four groups (A,B,C,D) and the remote rf60x can be controlled using a second group so you can control both from one place. To be fair, I may be mistaken as I have the v6 triggers not v6ii.

At worst I would expect you to be able to use the mounted af540's own manual controls in manual mode.
Thanks UncleVanya, mcgregni, Class A. I believe you are right about manual controlling the fill flash may be the way to go :-)
Regards
Jens

Attached Images

03-31-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry for the misinformation on the control group for the unit on the cactus directly - I've been away from them for a while - I need to pick them back up. That light stick arrangement looks cool. I would love to hear how it all comes out - better yet a shot or two shared?
04-01-2018, 12:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

After my failed test using the X-TTL firmware it would be good to know how it goes for you. If the X-TLL version fails to trigger the TTL passthrough flash then if you're only using Manual you can go back to the multi-brand firmware. But in theory TTL passthrough should work with the X-TTL version too. Perhaps a different camera / flash combination might work .....

I was not sure really if the Flash profile setting would have any impact on a passthrough flash ....
04-01-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Tried a few times turning it all off and on again, remounting and tightening everything .....no luck.
Have you told Cactus, e.g., via the community forum?

I'm pretty sure they'd like to learn if something is not working.

Last edited by Class A; 04-02-2018 at 08:18 PM.
04-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I’ve set it up again just to be really sure ....so, K7 with V6II mounted (Tx mode), plus AF-540FGZIi on top of the V6II. Cactus firmware is PEN.A.001

V6II Menu “Camera & Flash Setup” : Camera System, Pentax ....... Flash System, Pentax .......Custom Setting, Off ......Flash Profile, Pentax AF540F2.

I’m not sure the relevance of these flash settings to TTL Passthrough working ? ..... perhaps no relevance .....?

Anyway, same results as yesterday ....... flash zoom works automatically in response to lens zooming, but no response at all from the flash. Does this sound like I’ve got it set up right? If so then I will report it to Cactus on their forum.
04-02-2018, 04:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I’m not sure the relevance of these flash settings to TTL Passthrough working ?
Both "flash system" and "flash profile" should have an effect on the TTL pass-through functionality.

I can see no problem with your settings and believe you should post your finding.

Last edited by Class A; 04-02-2018 at 08:45 PM.
04-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I’ve set it up again just to be really sure ....so, K7 with V6II mounted (Tx mode), plus AF-540FGZIi on top of the V6II. Cactus firmware is PEN.A.001

V6II Menu “Camera & Flash Setup” : Camera System, Pentax ....... Flash System, Pentax .......Custom Setting, Off ......Flash Profile, Pentax AF540F2.

I’m not sure the relevance of these flash settings to TTL Passthrough working ? ..... perhaps no relevance .....?

Anyway, same results as yesterday ....... flash zoom works automatically in response to lens zooming, but no response at all from the flash. Does this sound like I’ve got it set up right? If so then I will report it to Cactus on their forum.
@mcgregni
Have you tried using the AF-540FGZ II on top of the V6II (with the settings you posted) without activating TTL pass-through? What happens then?
04-02-2018, 08:33 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Sorry for the misinformation on the control group for the unit on the cactus directly - I've been away from them for a while - I need to pick them back up. That light stick arrangement looks cool. I would love to hear how it all comes out - better yet a shot or two shared?
Yes. I shall share.
I'm currently looking to buy two Metz flashes. 58 AF-1 and 50 AF-1. I am thinking it's better to use ONE brand of flashes (is this so?) - as opposed to one Pentax AF540FGZ and one Cactus RF60x. Annother option is simply two new RF60x.
Then I may only need ONE trigger (tranceiver).
04-02-2018, 09:02 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm currently looking to buy two Metz flashes. 58 AF-1 and 50 AF-1.
If you do that with the intention to using them in combination with Cactus triggers and P-TTL, I'd recommend to find out about the compatibility with these flash models and the X-TTL firmware variant for Pentax.

If it would help I can change the firmware on my V6II to the X-TTL version and see which Metz for Pentax profiles are currently supported. Even if there is no dedicated profile, the flash model may still work by using the profile of a similar model, but just to avoid any surprises, I'd try to find out about the exact compatibility in advance.

I am thinking it's better to use ONE brand of flashes (is this so?) - as opposed to one Pentax AF540FGZ and one Cactus RF60x.
I see no advantage to sticking to one brand. If you are planning to use the V6II as a trigger then it doesn't matter what brand the triggered flashes are, as long as they are supported.

The Metz models would be better if you consider using flashes directly on the camera, but in all other aspects, I'd recommend the RF60X. Not having to care about additional receivers (in terms of purchasing them, carrying them, making sure they have charged battery cells) is a big advantage. The RF60X also recycles more quickly: 1.9s compared to 3.5s (50-AF1) and 5s (58 AF-1). Furthermore, it has useful features like a delay setting, etc. In short, as an off-camera flash, I think the RF60X is the better choice.

Then I may only need ONE trigger (tranceiver).
Yes, if you only use RF60X flashes as off-camera flashes then you definitely only need a single V6II transceiver.