Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash triggers for P-TTL and HSS

Is Cactus the only tranceiver manufacturer, that does stuff for Pentax?
Phottix? Pocket Wizard? Godox? Metz?
What choices do we have for multiple "on the road" flashes that does P-TTL?
Regards
Jens, Denmark

---------- Post added 04-03-2018 at 07:55 AM ----------

BTW: I just wrote Metz support, asking if there is a trigger solotion for P-TTL. I shall post their answer here shortly.

Last edited by Photodana; 04-02-2018 at 10:44 PM.
04-03-2018, 01:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Cactus is the clear first choice for hotshoe type flashes and radio triggering, in my opinion. Phottix and Cononmark have recently announced P-TTL support with some of their studio strobe types.

It depends on what flashes you already have of course but if starting from scratch then Cactus is a logical first choice. They also have strobe in development that will be compatible as well.
04-03-2018, 05:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Although Cactus is the first choice for Pentax and the best they were not the first trigger to allow HSS with Pentax Pttl. Due to the cost factor of Cactus and lack of often use I still get by using my Aokatec radio triggers I bought a couple of years ago that do HSS with my Pentax flash. However they do not do some of the main features of the Cactus such as grouping control and are a bit more of a challenge to set up they do work well. They were the first as far as I know that had a work around radio trigger that would allow HSS for Pentax.
04-03-2018, 05:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't Acon an option also?

04-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Isn't Acon an option also?
Not available anymore, UV ... company doesn't seem to be in business!

04-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Wow - that was short lived... Thanks for the update.
04-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
Is Cactus the only tranceiver manufacturer, that does stuff for Pentax?
Phottix? Pocket Wizard? Godox? Metz?
Of these, only Phottix have announced support for Pentax (Odin II).

As Phottix not only offers studio strobes but also some speedlight models, you may want to look which of those are compatible with the announced trigger. If I remember correctly there were only one or two Phottix speedlight models that were compatible with the announced trigger.

EDIT: According to Phottix, the Odin II for Pentax is only compatible with their Mitros+ speedlight (in addition to Phottix strobes and receivers, of course). You'll notice that the Mitros+ takes 5s to recycle after a full power shot whereas the RF60X requires only 1.9s. The RF60X has an advantage, though, as it isn't quite as powerful as the Mitros+. The Mitros+ has a slightly more flexible flash head and there are probably more differences for you to explore.

Is there any specific reason for you to avoid Cactus? Or are you just making sure you covered all your options?

Last edited by Class A; 04-03-2018 at 12:18 PM.
04-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hello. I haven't tried HSS (Pentax) yet. Must I install the HSS firmware; Multi brand HSS in order to use HSS? Or is HSS included in the already installed firmware (in my case Pentax TTL)? If YES, will the Multi Brand HSS delete the Pentax TTL firmware, or can both firmware both be there, at the same time?
04-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Must I install the HSS firmware
HSS is supported by the V6II no matter whether you use the multi-brand firmware variant or the X-TTL firmware variant.

The X-TTL firmware variant goes beyond the multi-brand firmware variant in that it additionally offers automatic determination of flash power levels and rear-curtain sync. One loses the ability to use flashes from other systems like Canon, Nikon, etc., though.

Some would argue the multi-brand variant gives them more flexibility regarding gear choices, provides everything they need (including HSS), and is easier to use.

can both firmware both be there, at the same time?
You can only use one firmware variant at a time. Your choice of variant (multi-brand vs X-TTL) must be consistent across all your devices. They are not compatible with each other.
04-14-2018, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Thank you very much Class A. This is what I wanted to know :-)
Regards
Jens
04-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sadly.

They even seem to have lost their old domain. Maybe their triggers still exist somewhere in the Chinese web.

It is worth noting that Acon triggers were re-badged as 'MultiTrig AS 5.1' triggers in Germany for Kaiser Fototechnik, with Nikon and Canon support added:

MultiTrig AS 5.1 Radio Trigger Set Xtra for Camera or Flash

There is some possibility these may also work OK on Pentax.

Last edited by rawr; 04-15-2018 at 05:25 PM.
02-07-2024, 01:53 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Cactus V6II update

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Cactus is the clear first choice for hotshoe type flashes and radio triggering, in my opinion. Phottix and Cononmark have recently announced P-TTL support with some of their studio strobe types.

It depends on what flashes you already have of course but if starting from scratch then Cactus is a logical first choice. They also have strobe in development that will be compatible as well.
Hello
Please, can you tell me how I can update my Cactus V6II? Cactus site does not respond.
Thank you very much-
Compliments
Luiz da Cunha
02-07-2024, 03:32 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brigula Quote
Hello
Please, can you tell me how I can update my Cactus V6II? Cactus site does not respond.
Thank you very much-
Compliments
Luiz da Cunha
Sadly Cactus are no longer in business. Hopefully someone can recommend a workaround to get your triggers updated.
02-08-2024, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brigula Quote
Please, can you tell me how I can update my Cactus V6II?
It is possible to use the firmware updater even without an active server. Just copy the firmware file of the version you'd like to use to the directory where the Cactus firmware updater is installed and name it "CactusV6II.fir" for a Cactus V6II. There should be respective .fir files in the installation directory already, which you can use to determine which name is required. After you have done the above, just start the Cactus firmware updater and without asking the server for new firmware versions, simply select "Update" (or similar).

Have a look at the "Cactus Flash Trigger V6 and V6II Firmware Update Server - need help with .fir files" thread for more details.

Last edited by Class A; 02-08-2024 at 06:45 AM.