Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Dissapointed with Metz 58

Normally, I do not bash equipment. But I just purchased a Metz 58 for use with my K20D, and hoped it would work so well that I would get another one for the other K20D I have (I shoot weddings).

Unfortunately, when I mounted it on the camera, it would not, (no matter what I did) talk to the K20D in P or GREEN modes.

And after further investigation, (which despite significant research was never apparent prior to this), it seems that many of the modes, particularly MANUAL will not work at all.

There were no updates on the Metz Website for the Pentax, so, alas, I have returned it to B&H and am waiting for my 540.

If anyone HAS made it work, please let me know...but for now, I remain disappointed.

09-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is not good. I was looking hard at getting 2 of these (weddings as well) to 'upgrade' from the 540's I have. I like the 540's but my main beef with them is the crappy head locks can't hold the head up even with the lightest of diffusers attached.

I'm really surprised that the 58 seems to be totally incompatible. Sure you don't just have a defective one?
09-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
This is not good. I was looking hard at getting 2 of these (weddings as well) to 'upgrade' from the 540's I have. I like the 540's but my main beef with them is the crappy head locks can't hold the head up even with the lightest of diffusers attached.

I'm really surprised that the 58 seems to be totally incompatible. Sure you don't just have a defective one?
or may be it is just K20D:Metz thing...
09-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well, the unit seemed to function perfectly on it's own and did fire in P and GREEN modes, though would not communicate PTTL info with the camera, so everything was over or underexposed depending on the mode.

Oh, I forgot to add that the wireless mode seemed to work fine....

As a techno-phile I was disappointed. If it was a bad unit, that's not good...and would probably cause me not to buy again.

I was a long-time Metz user when I was in Europe...

I am leaning towards this being some kind of interface issue between Metz and Pentax.....but I really have no idea...

Too bad...the extra "fill" flash was a nice idea....darn!

09-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Metz 48 seems to be working fine on my K10D and K20D...
09-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

And Metz 58 on my K10D.
09-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
So, does placing the K20D in manual and the flash in manual work?

Will it fire the flash in modes other than P and GREEN?

According to the manual, dependent on the camera, some modes may not work.

FROM PAGE 96 of the Manual:

Depending on the type of camera, other flash modes may be supported.
These flash operating modes can be selected and activated in the mode
menu following a data transfer with the camera. Depending on the
system, some camera models (depending on the camera's operating
mode) only support the TTL-/P-TTL flash mode. Other flash modes (automatic
A, manual M etc.) cannot be selected or activated!

Last edited by pentaxshooter; 09-05-2008 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added sentence
09-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
I think I just answered some of my own questions:

Page 109 of the manual:

Manual flash exposure correction is possible in TTL/P-TTL flash mode only
if the camera supports this function (consult the camera’s operating
instructions). If the camera does not support this function, the adjusted
correction value will have no effect. For some camera models, the manual
flash exposure corrections must be adjusted on the camera. If this is the
case, no correction value will appear on the flash unit display.
09-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapshot12 Quote
Metz 48 seems to be working fine on my K10D and K20D...
the best way to shoot a metz flash is to use their own "auto" mode and forget the built in canon ettl or the nikon ttl and / or the pentax pttl ( i know i have the acronyms wrong ---- sorry )

kman
09-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
the best way to shoot a metz flash is to use their own "auto" mode and forget the built in canon ettl or the nikon ttl and / or the pentax pttl ( i know i have the acronyms wrong ---- sorry )

kman
Does the Metz 48 have an auto mode? I thought it only had P-TTL and manual modes.

Thanks.
09-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Metz 48 works fine with my K10

Works in TAV, AV, P and Green, others i haven't tried.

Metz 48 does not have its own Auto mode like the Metz 58.

Also, if you are doing bounce off the ceiling, it will not go into the PTTL, has to be shooting horizontal.

Sorry if any of this is incorrect, i've only had it a short time as well.

The Metz 48 is wonderful in communicating with my K10, i can crank in different apertures on a lens and hear the motorized zoom on the flash zoom, way cool.

I gotta believe that either the OP has some misunderstanding of the built in auto mode (which i don't have) or perhaps has bumped into some other interlock like the ceiling bounce.

best luck in figuring it out.

Phil B.
09-12-2008, 02:13 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
The Metz 48 is wonderful in communicating with my K10, i can crank in different apertures on a lens and hear the motorized zoom on the flash zoom, way cool.
Phil, assuming you're referring to AUTO, can you change flash exposure compensation on the body or the flash? I've read a TON of flash threads, and my brain thinks that in AUTO:

Pentax: manually input aperture, focal length, but can tweak exposure
Metz: reads aperture and focal length from body (awesome!) but can't tweak exposure

Also, that's very unfortunate about no P-TTL on bounce. Grr if the Metz had these two items, it would stand out above the AF540.
09-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deuces Quote
Phil, assuming you're referring to AUTO, can you change flash exposure compensation on the body or the flash? I've read a TON of flash threads, and my brain thinks that in AUTO:

Pentax: manually input aperture, focal length, but can tweak exposure
Metz: reads aperture and focal length from body (awesome!) but can't tweak exposure

Also, that's very unfortunate about no P-TTL on bounce. Grr if the Metz had these two items, it would stand out above the AF540.
Deuces,
Sorry, first my error. I tried it again to make sure, and the Metz 48 does have PTTL on bounce. It does not show the flash distance in the bounce mode and i think somehow i got this confused with PTTL. It will do PTTL in bounce.

Metz 48 does not have its own AUTO mode using the thrysister, or however thats spelled. But in PTTL, you can use the Fn menu to adjust the flash EV setting on the camera. Works great, did it yesterday. You can also adjust the flash EV setting on the flash. Not sure what would happen if you did both.

Metz doesn't have the AUTO so can't answer your questions on that and it can't act as a controller for wireless actuation of slaves. 58 also has some more power.
09-15-2008, 06:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

In P-TTL mode you can set flash exposure compensation on camera and on flash and they ad up. I'm not sure about flash compensation on camera in green mode, but I'm sure it can be set on flash.

In Auto mode (where flash uses it's own sensor)
-Pentax: you must set apeture and iso manually and change it in the flash each time you change it on the camera.
-Metz: flash reads aperture and iso from camera and you can set exposure compensation on flash in 1/3 steps. If flash is if camera in auto mode you can set aperture iso and exposure compensation.

Metz 58 has better auto mode than Pentax in every aspect. Metz 48 doesn't have auto mode at all.

Oh, I have the 58 and have used it on *Ist DS, K100d Super and K10D in all possible modes. It confirmed my high regard of Metz flashes.