Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2018, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Amazon Basics Flash--Structural Failure

So I picked up my Amazon Basics flash out of my camera bag last night and noticed that the battery door had cracked in half vertically, end-to end. The only thing holding the door together was the metal contact plate on the inside. It appears to be a structural defect resulting from the batteries exerting too much pressure on the battery door. I feel the batteries fit down in the compartment a little too snugly and the springs at the bottom of the battery compartment were too big for their purpose. I always had a bit of difficulty closing the battery door, which is attached to the body of the flash by a hinge.

I had bought the flash in August and it still had a few months left on its one-year warranty, so I contacted Amazon and they couldn't have been any nicer about it. Without mincing words or even asking for a lot of details, they offered me the option of a refund or replacement. After a few moments of deliberation, I opted for the refund. It was an impulse purchase to begin with, and while it performed well for the role in which I used it—to photograph items from my dad's toy collection to sell on eBay. Up until last night, I'd felt like it was a pretty good value for what it was, but I felt like another flash of the same type would have the same inherent design flaw. It's a bit disappointing that it wasn't better constructed but I guess you can't expect all that much from a sub-$30 flash.

04-05-2018, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may be able to use JB Weld to repair the door - if you can get it between the cracked door and the metal bands.
04-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You may be able to use JB Weld to repair the door - if you can get it between the cracked door and the metal bands.
I had thought about doing something like that and would have if it had been out of warranty, but I took Amazon up on their refund offer and dropped the flash off in the mail back to them this morning. It's kind of a shame because I got really nice results with it once I got the hang of manually adjusting the intensity. It showed me how seldom full strength flash is actually needed.