Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flash snoot and extender comparison

Has anyone compared the flash unit output concentration performance of a snoot reflector tube to a Fresnel extender arrangement. Fresnel extender suppliers advertise a 2 stop exposure increase in performance, compared to the base flash unit. Has anyone directly compared a snoot reflector tube performance?

04-05-2018, 03:21 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Snoots, pretty much by design waste a ton of light. They are designed to reduce the angle of light down to ten degrees or less. Some snoots also come with detachable* grids to make the beam even tighter and soften its edges, these attenuate light even further. Fresnel flash extenders are designed to gather light output from the flash and project it forwards, however I think claiming 2 stops improvement is a little optimistic i'd say 1.5 stop increase at best.

Both light modifiers are built with a very specific purpose, and I don't see them as being interchangeable: It's like comparing a tapemeasure to a jackhammer - not a lot of functional overlap.

*some snoots have 30 degree grids built in.
04-06-2018, 12:40 AM   #3
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert N Quote
Has anyone compared the flash unit output concentration performance of a snoot reflector tube to a Fresnel extender arrangement.
What do you want to use it for? The most common use of Fresnel extenders is for wildlife at longish focal lengths. I suspect snoots are more often used indoors for particular lighting effects.

MagMod offer both, using the same silicon attachment to the flash head. The MagBeam fresnel extender is the best of the three extenders I've tried.
04-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Snoots, pretty much by design waste a ton of light. They are designed to reduce the angle of light down to ten degrees or less. Some snoots also come with detachable* grids to make the beam even tighter and soften its edges, these attenuate light even further. Fresnel flash extenders are designed to gather light output from the flash and project it forwards, however I think claiming 2 stops improvement is a little optimistic i'd say 1.5 stop increase at best.

Both light modifiers are built with a very specific purpose, and I don't see them as being interchangeable: It's like comparing a tapemeasure to a jackhammer - not a lot of functional overlap.

*some snoots have 30 degree grids built in.
Digitalis, many thanks for the comparison. It appears snoots have no real function in light projection, more of a local diffuser.

---------- Post added 04-15-18 at 01:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
What do you want to use it for? The most common use of Fresnel extenders is for wildlife at longish focal lengths. I suspect snoots are more often used indoors for particular lighting effects.

MagMod offer both, using the same silicon attachment to the flash head. The MagBeam fresnel extender is the best of the three extenders I've tried.
Des, many thanks for your comments on Fresnel extenders. From your experience of the MagBeam, what typical f stop exposure gain do you get from this device. I am considering it for wildlife photography.

Kind regards,

Robert N

04-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert N Quote
Des, many thanks for your comments on Fresnel extenders. From your experience of the MagBeam, what typical f stop exposure gain do you get from this device. I am considering it for wildlife photography.
I haven't done any comparison, Robert, but based on my subjective impression I would say that Digitalis's estimate of 1.5 stops may be a little conservative. There is a noticeable gain in the throw of the light - that is, at say 10m or more the light output is still quite strong. So much so, in fact, that it's often necessary to wind back the flash output (I have a Metz 58-AF1, which is GN 58).

The MagBeam is well-designed and robust, and there are three extension options. Its main disadvantage is its weight. With a hefty flash like the Metz I probably end up with about 1kg or so perched in the hotshoe of the K-3. I previously used a JJC one, which was light weight, cheap and effective but rather flimsy - the plastic attachment mount broke quite easily. The third one I have used (and still use) is the Rogue Safari, which concentrates the beam from the popup flash. It's cheap, lightweight, simple and surprisingly effective with the K-3: Rogue Safari Flash Extender - PentaxForums.com. The main problem is that it produces a lot of eye shine, because the beam is too close to the lens.
04-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The Gary Fong "PowerSnoot" seems to be an interesting combination of snoot (beam focussing) and extender (reflective light throwing) with its gridded head and silver insides ....a claimed increase in 'directional light output' of 3 stops.

amazon.com : Gary Fong LSU-PS PowerSnoot High Power Focused Beam : Photographic Lighting Diffusers : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&