Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2018, 06:02 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi all

Just wanted to say a big “thanks” for all the info. I got the Yongnuo and shot my first music event for a friend last night.

Loads to learn with this, but I really enjoyed using it. I can already see the benefits over built-in flash, but really only understand the very basics right now.

I’ve watched and read some tutuorials, but what I’d love to do is attend a workshop on this. I think a local camera shop does them.

Thanks again for the the advice.

Si

04-29-2018, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck.

Learning from hands on use will educate you, and tutorials also are a good resource.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-29-2018 at 01:30 PM.
05-02-2018, 08:20 AM   #18

Cactus with Yongnuo and Metz

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
The Yongnuo YN585EX is a really nice flash. I have one along with my three Pentax AF360FGZ flashes. It has P-TTL which I have tested, and it works very well. I would recommend it.

If you ever decide to use more than one flash (off camera), I would also recommend Cactus radio trigger products, V5, V6, and so on. I have the V5 type and they do an excellent job.

Pertaining to power, you will most likely not be shooting at full power with your flash, so a set of batteries will usually yield quite a few shots. I use EBL rechargeables, even the AA batteries from a dollar store will give you quite a few shots.

This is good information! I am thinking about getting two of the Yongnuo 585EX flashes for off-camera use. I already have a Metz 64-AF1 that I use on my K3 occasionally. I want to find something that can trigger the Metz and the Yongnuo flashes. Will the Catctus trigger products work with both? I've also been looking at the YN560-TX as a trigger. I don't see a Pentax option for that trigger, though. Suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
05-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aleighn8 Quote
I am thinking about getting two of the Yongnuo 585EX flashes for off-camera use.
Are you sure that you don't want to have the option of using HSS?

I want to find something that can trigger the Metz and the Yongnuo flashes.
If you don't want to use HSS then any trigger system that supports dedicated receiver units will work.
Do you want to be able to use groups, i.e., be able to remotely turn flashes on and off?

Will the Catctus trigger products work with both?
Yes, but as with any other trigger system, you wouldn't get HSS support for the 585EX.
HSS, and even P-TTL support would be available for the 64-AF1, provided you choose the appropriate trigger.

I've also been looking at the YN560-TX as a trigger.
This trigger does not support HSS and only works in conjunction with Yongnuo flashes that have a built-in receiver.

05-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #20
Pentaxian

This is good information! I am thinking about getting two of the Yongnuo 585EX flashes for off-camera use. I already have a Metz 64-AF1 that I use on my K3 occasionally. I want to find something that can trigger the Metz and the Yongnuo flashes. Will the Catctus trigger products work with both? I've also been looking at the YN560-TX as a trigger. I don't see a Pentax option for that trigger, though. Suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
The Yongnuo YN585EX is a dependable, sturdy, well styled flash. It would be a good decision to get a couple of them for lighting. I would recommend the Cactus V5 transceivers (radio triggers), which I have. They will fire the YN585EX and Metz flashes. The YN585EX does not have HSS, my three Pentax AF360FGZ flashes do, but I rarely use it. I use my YN585EX along with my AF360FGZ flashes as a group for multiple light sources and the combination works great. The YN585EX also does an excellent job alone. It performs with excellent results in P-TTL (Pentax Through The Lens metering) mode, where it meters the light output automatically, or Manual mode where the user has full control over output. I don't know if you know this already, but in some conditions, such as in an indoor studio, the use of a low ISO, higher F stop number, or a combination of both, will get rid of ambient light while using flash for freezing motion at shutter flash sync speeds of something similar to 180 or below. Those conditions may also be created in well lit areas by using an ND filter, which will help darken the ambient light.

So, as I said, I would recommend the Cactus V5 triggers, or later model Cactus triggers, and also the YN585EX flash. You can create groups (flash triggering selections) with the V5, just in case you were interested in having that control. I have six V5 units.

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-02-2018 at 09:54 PM.
05-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I would recommend the Cactus V5 transceivers (radio triggers), which I have.
I can recommend these regarding reliability and representing very good value for money, but they don't support remote power control and group support is very rudimentary.

For remote power level control and HSS, the V6II would be required.

BTW, personally, I'd only buy flashes with a built-in radio receiver. This significantly simplifies overall handling, including not having to deal with extra batteries for an external receiver.
05-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Are you sure that you don't want to have the option of using HSS?

If you don't want to use HSS then any trigger system that supports dedicated receiver units will work.
Do you want to be able to use groups, i.e., be able to remotely turn flashes on and off?

Yes, but as with any other trigger system, you wouldn't get HSS support for the 585EX.
HSS, and even P-TTL support would be available for the 64-AF1, provided you choose the appropriate trigger.

This trigger does not support HSS and only works in conjunction with Yongnuo flashes that have a built-in receiver.

I do not think I need groups. I have the Metz, which has HSS and P-TTL. It would be my dedicated on-camera flash. What I really want is the ability to control two off-camera flashes by using as few triggers as possible. I have about $300 to spend (which would include the 2 flash units and any necessary triggers). Ideally, I would like the same trigger(s) to work on the Metz when necessary. I looked at the Cactus V6II, but if I understand correctly that would be about $300 alone ($95 each: one for the camera body and two for the flashes, leaving no money for the flashes themselves).

---------- Post added 05-04-18 at 02:33 PM ----------

The Yongnuo YN585EX is a dependable, sturdy, well styled flash. It would be a good decision to get a couple of them for lighting. I would recommend the Cactus V5 transceivers (radio triggers), which I have. They will fire the YN585EX and Metz flashes. The YN585EX does not have HSS, my three Pentax AF360FGZ flashes do, but I rarely use it. I use my YN585EX along with my AF360FGZ flashes as a group for multiple light sources and the combination works great. The YN585EX also does an excellent job alone. It performs with excellent results in P-TTL (Pentax Through The Lens metering) mode, where it meters the light output automatically, or Manual mode where the user has full control over output. I don't know if you know this already, but in some conditions, such as in an indoor studio, the use of a low ISO, higher F stop number, or a combination of both, will get rid of ambient light while using flash for freezing motion at shutter flash sync speeds of something similar to 180 or below. Those conditions may also be created in well lit areas by using an ND filter, which will help darken the ambient light.

So, as I said, I would recommend the Cactus V5 triggers, or later model Cactus triggers, and also the YN585EX flash. You can create groups (flash triggering selections) with the V5, just in case you were interested in having that control. I have six V5 units.

I think the setup you described meets my needs and my budget best. I saw two of the V5's on the B&H site for about $75. I would need a third for the camera body, correct? Or did I read that the 585EX has a built in receiver that would work with the Cactus? I am trying to keep everything straight, so I really appreciate your insight!!

05-04-2018, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Your K-3 internal flash can control the YN585 or multiples as slave SP I don't know about the other one you have. I use the YN585 all the time as a slave (SP) and with 1 or 2 Sunpak 622 Pro's (bounce & reflective umbrella) on optical triggers.
05-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I do not think I need groups. I have the Metz, which has HSS and P-TTL. It would be my dedicated on-camera flash. What I really want is the ability to control two off-camera flashes by using as few triggers as possible. I have about $300 to spend (which would include the 2 flash units and any necessary triggers). Ideally, I would like the same trigger(s) to work on the Metz when necessary. I looked at the Cactus V6II, but if I understand correctly that would be about $300 alone ($95 each: one for the camera body and two for the flashes, leaving no money for the flashes themselves).

I think the setup you described meets my needs and my budget best. I saw two of the V5's on the B&H site for about $75. I would need a third for the camera body, correct? Or did I read that the 585EX has a built in receiver that would work with the Cactus? I am trying to keep everything straight, so I really appreciate your insight!!
You would need the third one for the camera body to use in Transmitter mode (TX) to fire the the other two triggers (two off camera flashes with triggers on them). The two triggers that are off camera would be in Receiver mode (RX). There is a little switch on each V5 unit that allows the user to set it to Transmitter mode (transmit signal) Receiver mode (receive signal), or Off (unit power off). The numbered dial on each unit coordinates when lights will fire, with the transmitter on the camera being in command. For example, I could set the unit that is set to transmitter on the camera to channel 1, and the two off camera units that are set to receiver to channel 1, and when I fired the camera the two off camera flash units would fire.

I bought my V5s in pairs, like you saw at B and H. That was the most inexpensive way, but the units are also available as a single product which is a little more costly.

I have never seen any indication of the YN585EX having a built in receiver, and I use my V5 trigger on it with success.

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-04-2018 at 03:30 PM.
05-04-2018, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

have never seen any indication of the YN585EX having a built in receiver, and I use my V5 trigger on it with success.
See page 14 item 6 of your YN585EX manual WIRELESS OPERATION WITH PENTAX 360 , 540 AND INTERNAL FLASH. I use it all the time wirelessly with K-3 internal and my 360 II.
05-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
See page 14 item 6 of your YN585EX manual WIRELESS OPERATION WITH PENTAX 360 , 540 AND INTERNAL FLASH. I use it all the time wirelessly with K-3 internal and my 360 II.
I know it operates as a wireless receiver using its optical trigger. What I meant was that the YN585EX does not have a radio trigger (transceiver) installed in its body.

---------- Post added 05-04-18 at 09:22 PM ----------

Per what I mentioned before, the YN585EX does not have a built in radio trigger, but as you may already know it does have an optical trigger sensor which will fire as a result of another flash firing. In some lighting conditions the optical sensor may be rendered useless if glare is present or the sensor is not exposed to the other flash firing. That is where radio triggers are still effective, due to their capability of communicating through barriers and at further distances.

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-04-2018 at 06:28 PM.
05-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I know it operates as a wireless receiver using its optical trigger. What I meant was that the YN585EX does not have a radio trigger (transceiver) installed in its body.
The manual says Wireless Radio Transmission 4 channels that means there must be a transceiver in the flash Page 14 (6) & page 20 "advanced applications"
05-04-2018, 11:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Perhaps the OP should consider the Yongnuo 560IV flashes and their own system trigger (single transmitter only). This solution offers radio remote power control with built-in receivers and still at a budget price.

The 585ex is a dedicated P-TTL system flash with optical wireless capability (no radio) The OP does not seem to want to use them optically, so they are really wasted if used as manual radio slaves. It's adding to the complexities, expense and potential problems to use a system that requires receivers on every flash, I feel. Keep a single one for on-camera automatic working, which is its natural habitat.

I fully agree with some of the budget suggestions here already, eg Cactus V5, but only really for those who already have compatible flashes and want to give them new life .... Also if minimal basic triggering control is enough.

These days surely remote manual power control is a minimum practical requirement for radio triggering.

The OP could use the camera built-in unit to for single flash off-camera control, as suggested above .... The exposure can be controlled from the camera with the flash compensation setting, when using P-TTL mode.

Last edited by mcgregni; 05-05-2018 at 02:22 AM.
05-08-2018, 06:25 AM   #29

Yongnuo 560IV Option

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Perhaps the OP should consider the Yongnuo 560IV flashes and their own system trigger (single transmitter only). This solution offers radio remote power control with built-in receivers and still at a budget price.

The 585ex is a dedicated P-TTL system flash with optical wireless capability (no radio) The OP does not seem to want to use them optically, so they are really wasted if used as manual radio slaves. It's adding to the complexities, expense and potential problems to use a system that requires receivers on every flash, I feel. Keep a single one for on-camera automatic working, which is its natural habitat.

You pose what seems like a more reasonable choice, given the fact that I already have a more-than-capable flash with P-TTL for on-camera use. You are correct that optical triggering is not something I am striving for. The reviews of the 560IV seem to be good and the cost is on point for what I need.

I see the Yongnuo 560IV is paired with the YN560TX trigger in many online shops. I also see that it supports the RF-603, RF-602 wireless transmitters/receivers - though the latter don't seem to have the full functionality of the YN560TX. It does, however, look like I can pair a YN560TX with an RF-603 to use on my Metz (if I wanted to get CRAZY). Also, which do I choose for compatibility with the K3? The Nikon or Canon? Of course Pentax isn't listed as an option on Amazon.

I see there is a newer version of the above setup with the numbers YN660 for the flash and YN560TXII on the trigger. There is a moderate price difference. I am wondering if the update is worth the money?

---------- Post added 05-08-18 at 09:28 AM ----------

---------- Post added 05-04-18 at 09:22 PM ----------

Per what I mentioned before, the YN585EX does not have a built in radio trigger, but as you may already know it does have an optical trigger sensor which will fire as a result of another flash firing. In some lighting conditions the optical sensor may be rendered useless if glare is present or the sensor is not exposed to the other flash firing. That is where radio triggers are still effective, due to their capability of communicating through barriers and at further distances.

I suppose at some point, I may want to experiment with optical triggering, since it seems to be less technical of a setup. I think for my uses and for the need of reliable transmission, I want to stick with radio triggering.

Last edited by Aleighn8; 05-08-2018 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Added model numbers
05-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I am not familiar with the Yongnuo "Radio Manual" flash systems, (other than to know they offer good value and are popular with Pentax users), but there will be a number of others here can give guidance on the specifics .But that type of flash system and configuration seems to be in line with your needs.....no P-TTL or HSS, but remote control over manual power, flash head zoom and group control.

Regarding reliability ....i don't think any one system type is inherantly more or less reliable than others. It depends on the usage situation. Indoors, in small to medium sized rooms, then optical triggering could well be 100% reliable. Outdoors in bright sun or over some distances then less likely to be reliable.

People report problems with all types .... There are sync problems and misunderstandings with optical triggering and pre-flashes, slave mode settings and flash types. There are configuration confusions, equipment mismatches and setting errors for users of radio triggers, plus connection and battery issues with multiple transmitter and receiver units.

Real world reliability is closely linked to the working environment and how well the photographer understands how their chosen system works, far more so than any inherent design or technology type distinctions.