Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2018, 02:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Getting first external flash

Hi all

I hope you don’t mind the message. I have been looking at various threads on the forums and getting some good information.

I’ve only ever used the built-in flash on my K-r. However, I’m now very interested in learning how to use an external flash. I’ve found some excellent resources online and in print.

My budget is pretty limited, so I thought I might get the Yongnuo 585ex model.

I just wanted to check whether more experienced photographers than me thought that might be a suitable one. Basically, I’m not looking for a studio set-up, I’d just like to be able to bounce the flash and get better pictures (I shoot at music events in low light) with a single flash (presumably attached to the camera).

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Si

04-15-2018, 04:17 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can also enthusiastically recommend the Cactus RF60 and RF60x flash units. I have the former and it's a very capable flash for the price. The added advantage is that you can also buy a Cactus transceiver (which is pretty inexpensive) and use the flash off-camera very effectively.
04-15-2018, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may want to check extensive guide written by one of forum members. The key question is whether you need automatic mode, and music events seem to require it. As per Yongnuo, I have manual one (560 IV) - it works fine, and build quality is good. The only drawback is power consumption, which is definitely higher than in 560 FGZ.
04-15-2018, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Popty Ping Quote
so I thought I might get the Yongnuo 585ex model.
I bought a 585 Yongnuo about a year ago ($65.00 USD ) and have used it a lot on camera and as a slave. 2 of my Grand babies have found the test button and they also use it a lot . So far no problems.

First Photo - Yongnuo585 on K3 set to Bounce with reflector panel extended.

Second Photo - 585 is slave= SP (set to bounce) to Built In (master) on K-3

Last edited by honey bo bo; 08-07-2018 at 04:30 AM.
04-15-2018, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all

I’d just like to be able to bounce the flash and get better pictures (I shoot at music events in low light) with a single flash (presumably attached to the camera).

Si
I've shot rock style music events and, to be honest, lots of fast action, not a lot of good flash-bounce opportunities...seemingly always a dark environment. What works for me is higher ISO, watch and try to work with the stage light patterns for upper body light and use the flash for fill in the lower areas.

At these events, actions is fast and I find there's a need to shoot many times as quick as the flash will recharge (hoping for that perfect capture). So, if this is your environment, make sure your flash recovers quickly and doesn't excessively eat the batteries. On the battery front, found the "black" Eneeloops worked best...shoot a whole night with one set.

Additionally, found that some flashes, in those machine-gun style shoots, the capacitor overheated and recovery slowed potentially missing shots and definitely affecting any learned stride with respect to the lights. Initially, this is what brought me to the Eneeloops (the other batteries would come out too hot to hold) assuming it was the batteries breaking down and overheating the flash. The Eneeloops didn't get hot and quickly realized it was the capacitor.
Next thought was it might have been my flash was worn out but in research to find a replacement discovered this was almost a common phenomena with consumer grade flashes. Finally settled on a Metz and I can hammer away all night and it never even breaks into a sweat. At the time, the off-shore flashes were not readily available so never ventured to testing them although if I was to do it again would definitely consider these options.

Al

Last edited by AlwaysAl; 04-15-2018 at 07:32 AM. Reason: add image
04-15-2018, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

The Yongnuo YN585EX is a really nice flash. I have one along with my three Pentax AF360FGZ flashes. It has P-TTL which I have tested, and it works very well. I would recommend it.

If you ever decide to use more than one flash (off camera), I would also recommend Cactus radio trigger products, V5, V6, and so on. I have the V5 type and they do an excellent job.

Pertaining to power, you will most likely not be shooting at full power with your flash, so a set of batteries will usually yield quite a few shots. I use EBL rechargeables, even the AA batteries from a dollar store will give you quite a few shots.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-15-2018 at 09:13 AM.
04-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
The Yongnuo YN585EX is a really nice flash. I have one along with my three Pentax AF360FGZ flashes. It has P-TTL which I have tested, and it works very well. I would recommend it.
I have the same flash inventory and love my 585ex most of all for the more light output and the tilt and swivel head. I also second the EBL aa batteries as I have been using them for about 2 years with no issues. I also second the Cactus triggers.

04-15-2018, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Folks

Thanks so much folks. Really interesting information.

Did see that guide to Pentax flashes a forum user wrote - very detailed. Will read more thoroughtly ASAP.

Think it’s going to be good fun getting to grips with this area of photography.

Thanks again - really appreciated!

Si
04-15-2018, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My budget is pretty limited, so I thought I might get the Yongnuo 585ex model.

I just wanted to check whether more experienced photographers than me thought that might be a suitable one.
For the price nothing new comes close to the Yongnuo 585EX as a great first flash choice.

Just beware of a few drawbacks compared to the Metz Mecablitz 44 AF-2 ($230) or the Pentax AF360FGZ II ($430):

a) Slow recycle time:
Yongnuo: 3-5 seconds
Metz: .1-4 seconds
Pentax: 1.5-2.5 seconds

b) Weight:
Yongnuo: 370 grams
Metz: 306 grams
Pentax: 290 grams

c) Built-in light for video:
Yongnuo: No
Metz: Yes
Pentax: Yes

d) Weather sealed:
Yongnuo: No
Metz: No
Pentax: Yes

On the positive side, it is the only one with a PC sync terminal and has the highest GN (guide number=light output) of the three (190ʻ vs. 144ʻ and 118ʻ). If the bottom line is your budget, the Yongnuo is essentially your best choice.

Last edited by Alex645; 04-16-2018 at 11:56 AM.
04-16-2018, 05:27 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all

Have bought the Yongnuo.

Really looking forward to giving it a go. Hoping that, in time, it will take my photos up a level.
04-16-2018, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
I have the same flash inventory and love my 585ex most of all for the more light output and the tilt and swivel head. I also second the EBL aa batteries as I have been using them for about 2 years with no issues. I also second the Cactus triggers.
I agree that the equipment does a nice job.

---------- Post added 04-16-18 at 11:33 AM ----------

Thanks all

Have bought the Yongnuo.

Really looking forward to giving it a go. Hoping that, in time, it will take my photos up a level.

Nice step. It should be interesting for you to be able to learn using an excellent flash such as the YN585EX.
04-16-2018, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have bought the Yongnuo.
I really feel you will not be disappointed.
04-17-2018, 12:57 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the latest replies folks.

AlwaysAl - meant to say thanks for the event-specific advice. Thanks to you and Honey Boo Boo for sharing the nice photos too.

I use Eneloops in my K-r, so I will get some more of them.
04-17-2018, 02:25 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Eneloops in my K-r, so I will get some more of them.
Good idea: As you may or may not know, and I canʻt explain to you the science of why, rechargeable batteries will give you a faster recycling time from flash to flash vs. disposable batteries. Of course, you wonʻt get as many flashes per charge as you would an alkaline or lithium cell, but the time for the flash to be ready for the next flash after discharging the previous one is faster.

Rechargeable cells have slightly lower voltage but higher amps which apparently fills the capacitor faster. Ready, aim, fire.
04-17-2018, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Good idea: As you may or may not know, and I canʻt explain to you the science of why, rechargeable batteries will give you a faster recycling time from flash to flash vs. disposable batteries. Of course, you wonʻt get as many flashes per charge as you would an alkaline or lithium cell, but the time for the flash to be ready for the next flash after discharging the previous one is faster.

Rechargeable cells have slightly lower voltage but higher amps which apparently fills the capacitor faster. Ready, aim, fire.
Didn’t know that - thanks for the info.