Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is the Pentax AF160FC Auto Macro still in production?

Every few months I think about getting a ringflash. I read the positive reviews of the AF160AC and then go check out the current price, which usually tells me I'm not buying it anytime soon.

During this price check, it seems to be out of stock everywhere or outright no longer exists, BandH, Adorama, Vistek, Amazon etc...

Anyone know the status of the AF160AC?

04-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Anyone know the status of the AF160AC?
Good question. I think it has been discontinued, but I could be wrong.

It's not listed for purchase in the Ricoh Japan store,

??? | RICOH IMAGING

and in the 'Products: Flash' page of the Ricoh site it is listed as 'sold out'

?????????????????????? | RICOH IMAGING

However that products page does seem to make a distinction between products that are merely 'sold out' and those that are 'discontinued'. So there may be a chance that they will be able to bring the flash back on sale at some stage. Good thing too - it's an excellent flash.

Sigma and Metz P-TTL macro ring flash alternatives are widely available though.
04-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #3

I recently bought a Neewer NW-14EXM manual ring flash. US$ 46 on Amazon. Appears to be decently made product. Works well with my FA 100MM F2.8. You can adjust the strength of each side of the ring to add shadow to the subject. Full power down to 1/128. Has two LED focusing lights to help focus in the dark. Enough power to shoot F16 at ISO 160 to 200.

amazon.com : Neewer Close-up NW-14EXM Universal LED Macro Ring Flash Light with AF Assist Lamp for Canon Nikon Sony Panasonic Olympus Fujifilm Pentax and Other DSLR Cameras with Single-contact Hot Shoe : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
04-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Good question. I think it has been discontinued, but I could be wrong.
Ricoh Japan shows it as discontinued, at least in the Google translation.

Google Translate:Ricoh Japan Flash Page

Suitable P-TTL compatibility is available with the Metz 15 MS-1 (P-TTL optical slave) or Sigma EM-140 DG TTL (wired from camera-top unit).

Note: Macro-range P-TTL is often a little sketchy, even with FA and newer lenses with which the AF160T was designed to work. A combination of high iso and wider aperture may result in the flash not being able to auto-attenuate to an appropriate level. With A-series lenses where pre-flash is full-strength, P-TTL may fail completely at most apertures/iso with the main flash being delivered at full strength.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-15-2018 at 11:12 AM. Reason: completeness
04-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

Hmm, it doesn't look good if it's discontinued on the Ricoh Japan site. Here's hoping an update is in the works, but I'm not too confident it would appear anytime soon. It would be nice to see finer manual controls and even lower power options.

I'll keep my eyes open for some of the oldies on flea bay, P-TTL isn't a requirement for me. I'm also open to the led style ring lights, different utility, but I have been attempting the odd macro video and they aren't that pricey to experiment with.
04-16-2018, 01:18 AM   #6
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Brian, I too was looking for a 160 ( to no avail ) and decided on the Sigma EM-140 DG. I find that it works extremely well for me. Good luck mate.

EM-140 DG Macro Flash | Sigma Corporation of America