Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2018, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
but no doubt you'll run into various P-TTL issues
... give him a chance

Of course the usual variables apply to the metering process and effects of reflected light bouncing around into the lens, but I can say that the level of independence and separation between different TTL groups I have found to be quite extraordinary, and the exactness of fine control over each flash with the compensation setting also very impressive. So much so that I wrote on another thread a while back, I now believe that in practical workflow and security of exposure control, there is now no significant difference in working in TTL or M modes with the Cactus XTTL system.

So by that I mean that I no longer have any obvious choice whether to use automatic metering or Manual for almost all of my flash photo scenarios, because there is nothing to distinguish between the two approaches in practice that allows any logical decision .... so I mostly choose TTL.

Last edited by mcgregni; 10-22-2018 at 04:47 PM.
10-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
...because there is nothing to distinguish between the two approaches in practice that allows any logical decision .... so I mostly choose TTL.
Ah, of course this isn't true (regarding consistency and predictability in favour of manual, and agility in favour of TTL) but I'm glad you find TTL working so well for you.

I would have loved to try TTL with the RQ250 outdoors as that's when I may have had the need for quicker operation, but sadly it wasn't to be.
10-22-2018, 05:08 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Yes, well of course I do like to promote TTL as a genuine choice. Lets expand this idea a bit, because as always it depends entirely on the circumstances, lighting environment and nature of the subjects. So my statement relates to mainly static subjects with consistent or no ambient light, and where there is none of the typical sorts of intrusions that we expect to disrupt TTL flash metering (bright areas in backgrounds, light spill into the lens, reflections etc).

In these sorts of stable conditions then I have found that I can use TTL mode in very much the same manner as Manual, and without any significant difference in technical / workflow approaches. The advantage with TTL then becomes nothing more than it avoids the need for any mental reckoning or other calculation about a starting point for the power settings. After the initial test shot then the adjustment needed to each group is exactly the same as an adjustment following assessment of initial test shot in Manual mode. So I am just saying that to all intents and purposes the Cactus system has eliminated all significant differences in practice.

Of course there will always be those particular types of scenarios where TTL will remain more suited, and also Manual mode.

---------- Post added 23-10-18 at 00:25 ----------

Some examples of the sort of situations which are static where I have found TTL and M mode to offer no significant point of difference are the recent threads I have posted here; Lighting Control for Flowers - PentaxForums.com (mixture of normal and HSS TTL), and some portraits of the kids in the garden Contrast Control in Sunlight - PentaxForums.com .... /.... Lets Get Outdoors With Some Radio TTL! - PentaxForums.com.

---------- Post added 23-10-18 at 00:34 ----------

I would have loved to try TTL with the RQ250 outdoors as that's when I may have had the need for quicker operation

TTL could be quicker, or it might not be. I actually suspect the reality in practice will end up depending on each individuals experience levels working with their equipment and the Modes themselves. The XTTL system removes most of the workflow / settings differences between the two modes, it will mostly come down to the person .... Imagine if only we'd got the RQ250 .... you might have been able to quickly dial in a manual power setting to balance the bright sunlight from one side .... and I might have been able to quickly set an initial compensation figure in TTL mode to do the same thing. The result could easily have been the exact same image in exactly the same time.

Last edited by mcgregni; 10-22-2018 at 05:35 PM.
10-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #34

Photos: Albums
When mounting the RF60X on top of the V6II, can a cold shoe be used or is that a thing anymore?

10-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is the "Quick Start Guide" available from download pages (-> Pentax QSG.

I never understood why Cactus didn't update the regular manual to include the information required to properly operate the X-TTL variant of the V6II firmware.

BTW, in earlier firmwares the RF60(X) operated well in TTL mode even without showing "TTL" at the back. I found P-TTL with the RF60X to work much better than I expected it to be (I had no high opinion of P-TTL) but no doubt you'll run into various P-TTL issues. A common phenomenon is hitting a power range extreme (e.g., the flash cannot turn down the power anymore even though less light would be desirable in close up situations) and not noticing it.
Thanks. I have the printed Quick Start Guide, and I'll be darned if I can see the directions for this there either. There are directions for TTL pass through, as there are also in the User Manual, but directions for the TTL command by group is not present, as far as I can see. Note to others: TTL pass through is indicated by a [TTL] symbol at the lower far left of the display, whereas a TTL remote flash group setting is indicated by a [TTL symbol] just to the left of the group letter.

Whoa! The on-line version of the Quick Start Guide is significantly different than the printed one packed with the hardware. Thanks again Class A.

For compliance with directions somewhere/when on this sub forum, my Cactus V6II software is designated PEN.A.003.

Last edited by kaseki; 10-23-2018 at 11:18 AM.