Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

Cactus V6II and RF60X - On Camera Setup

My knowledge about Cactus systems is very limited or even nothing. I have these questions

1) If I use Cactus V6II on camera and mount Cactus RF60x on top of V6II on camera, can I get P-TTL and HSS (on-camera)? My intent is to get an additional on-camera P-TTL flash option and I do not want to spend much to get a Pentax or Metz flash

2) If I use a Canon compatible flash (Godox), how does th X-TTL work? Does it work on-camera (mounted on top of V60II)?

Your responses are greatly appreciated.

04-16-2018, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Hi, the answer regarding the RF60x is no. When mounted on the V6II it no longer receives radio signals and as it is not a "dedicated system flash" for Pentax then it cannot use TTL information from the camera passing through the hotshoe. It can only function as a manual flash in this configuration, with power and zoom set directly on the flash. However off camera, it becomes a TTL and HSS flash, and a good value one ..... So better like that really as the trigger plus flash stack is a bit unwieldy.

Regarding the Godox, then I'm not sure, as I understand that "cross brand" TTL is not offered with the Pentax version of X-TTL. I am unsure if this applies to an on camera flash, so hopefully someone such as ClassA, or another Cactus user will know .... Seems unlikely I suspect. The Cactus Community forum would also be a good place to ask as well.
04-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
as a follow up to mcgregni, if you have an L-shaped bracket you can put that RF60 on that/ not on the hot shoe, and the V6II will trigger.
(and subsequently the flash will be farther off the lens axis, which is normally a good thing to attempt to avoid red eye etc when you have a flash close to the lens)

Just a thought. I've found the radio signal finicky (even in low power mode) when I get the flash too close to the trigger. Just once in a while.
-Dan

Last edited by khardur; 04-16-2018 at 08:48 PM. Reason: added info
04-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emsee Quote
1) If I use Cactus V6II on camera and mount Cactus RF60x on top of V6II on camera, can I get P-TTL and HSS (on-camera)?
I'm not as quick as mcgregni in ruling out that this scenario won't work.

The trick would be to still run the RF60X as if it were off-camera, i.e., communicate with it via radio instead of through the hot-shoe. There are two potential complications:
  1. the RF60X could be too close to the V6II in order for the radio signal to be transmitted. However, I just tried this configuration and could still control the RF60X from the V6II via radio.
  2. the RF60X would receive trigger signals via radio and through the hot-shoe. The hot-shoe trigger signals may interfere but if that's the case (haven't tried it) then you should be able to slide a piece of paper between the V6II's hot-shoe and the RF60X centre contact to prevent any hot-shoe induced triggering.
Alternatively, you just follow khardur's suggestion and use a flash bracket. I find that this results in a better balance of the whole camera/flash configuration.

QuoteOriginally posted by emsee Quote
2) If I use a Canon compatible flash (Godox), how does the X-TTL work? Does it work on-camera (mounted on top of V60II)?
It doesn't in combination with Pentax. The idea about X-TTL is to achieve cross-brand TTL but Cactus weren't able to realise that cross-brand aspect with Pentax. So the Pentax X-TTL variant requires all involved devices to be P-TTL compatible. Flashes can still be from various brands, but they must implement Pentax's P-TTL protocol.

04-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
I've found the radio signal finicky (even in low power mode) when I get the flash too close to the trigger.
Have you set your V6II transmitter's "WORK RANGE" to "SHORT"?

If not, it should make a huge difference.
04-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
the RF60X would receive trigger signals via radio and through the hot-shoe. The hot-shoe trigger signals may interfere but if that's the case (haven't tried it) then you should be able to slide a piece of paper between the V6II's hot-shoe and the RF60X centre contact to prevent any hot-shoe induced triggering

I tried this with the X-TTL firmware, which would obviously be needed if TTL was wanted, and I found that there are no radio communications at all once the RF60x was seated on top of the V6II .... it was as if there was an actual cutout of the Radio signals caused by the contacts on the hotshoe.

---------- Post added 17-04-18 at 04:56 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
the RF60X could be too close to the V6II in order for the radio signal to be transmitted. However, I just tried this configuration and could still control the RF60X from the V6II via radio

With which firmware? When I tested with the PEN.A.001 I could only get the flash to fire in Local mode.
04-16-2018, 10:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
it was as if there was an actual cutout of the Radio signals caused by the contacts on the hotshoe.
Perhaps trying using a piece of paper between flash and the V6II's hot-shoe?

I trust you have the work range set to "SHORT"? Otherwise, you won't stand a chance of achieving radio communication with the sender and receiver being in such close proximity.

With which firmware? When I tested with the PEN.A.001 I could only get the flash to fire in Local mode.
I tested with V1.1.013, i.e., a multi-brand firmware version.

04-16-2018, 10:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, Short range is set. I wonder if this behaviour is different between the firmwares, because it seems to me that in my case the Radio comms are actually deactivated by the hotshoe contact.
04-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I wonder if this behaviour is different between the firmwares, because it seems to me that in my case the Radio comms are actually deactivated by the hotshoe contact.
Since the RF60X only has a centre contact pin, I doubt that any kind of detection is going on.

So does the firing still work as long as you just hover with the RF60X over the V6II?
Have you tried using a piece of paper to isolate the centre contact pin from the hot-shoe?
04-16-2018, 10:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's likely to be a day or so now before I can get the gear out again and try things but I'll come back here as soon as I do .....
04-17-2018, 01:26 AM - 2 Likes   #11

Yes, placing a paper / masking tape to block hot shoe contacts between V6 II (TX) and RF60X technically would work.

However, due to the extreme close proximity, even setting Work Range to <SHORT> may not cut it.

It goes without saying that such a setup is not the original design and we certainly do not intent customer to have such a setup. The RF60X is designed as an off-camera flash that supports HSS and TTL, but not an on-camera one.

Hopefully in the near future this will not be an issue
04-17-2018, 02:07 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cactus Quote
Hopefully in the near future this will not be an issue
Can you share any more info on that case? I've just got my set of RF60X and V6II, and its joy to play with Still waiting for that stronger 250Ws strobe
04-17-2018, 03:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cactus Quote
However, due to the extreme close proximity, even setting Work Range to <SHORT> may not cut it.
It worked in my test.
04-17-2018, 03:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Still waiting for that stronger 250Ws strobe
So am I.

The gloriousness of a powerful bare bulb! Can't wait!
04-17-2018, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #15
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Cactus RF60x is not only a flash, it’s a transmitter. There is no reason to put a V6 ii on your camera and then the RF60x. Buy two RF60x’s, one on and one off camera or one RF60x and one V6ii. Use a different ttl flash on the V6ii off camera (Canon, Nikon, Pentax...j. With the lastest firmware all will work with Pentax cameras as ttl flashes.
That said, the V6ii is easier to manipulate as the transmitter on the camera than the RF60x, it’s what it is made for, so... put the V6ii on the camera and put an AF360 Pentax on top (used for <$100 on eBay) to be used as pass through P-ttl. It’s less complicated than it sounds. The Cactus system ROCKS!