Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax KP wireless trigger to Shanny

Hey everyone.

I’m having some difficulty getting my KP to wirelessly trigger my Shanny SN600FGZ with the inbuilt flash.

Specifically, it seems to trigger it ok, but the timing is off. I can capture the bulb in the shot but it seems to have no exposure effects. Like it’s triggering too early?

Has anyone used this same setup or the KP in general and can give me any tips?

Thanks in advance!

04-28-2018, 11:15 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lewvanbommel Quote
I’m having some difficulty getting my KP to wirelessly trigger my Shanny SN600FGZ with the inbuilt flash.
What precisely are you trying to do? The Shanny SN600FGZ support for Pentax wireless protocol is fairly limited Edit: Unless something has changed, the SN600FGZ does not support optical wireless P-TTL. As I understand it, optical wireless modes are:
  • Manual slave -- S1 (flash fires with any master)
  • Manual slave -- S2 (ignores P-TTL preflash and fires with main)
  • Manual HSS when triggered by a HSS master/controller flash

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-28-2018 at 11:47 PM.
04-28-2018, 11:29 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey Steve.

Pretty much just get it to actually light up the scene and fire at the right time. The more I read into it the more I think it’ll be easier to buy cactus triggers. Plus then I’ll get TTL and HSS as well...
04-28-2018, 11:50 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lewvanbommel Quote
Hey Steve.

Pretty much just get it to actually light up the scene and fire at the right time. The more I read into it the more I think it’ll be easier to buy cactus triggers. Plus then I’ll get TTL and HSS as well...
I added a little more above. Set the flash on the KP to manual and the Shanny to M S1 and adjust the contribution for each flash manually. Alternatively, set the KP for P-TTL and the Shanny to M S2 such that the on-camera flash is metered and the Shanny is manually adjusted. With any luck @mcgregni will see this thread and weigh in. He is one of the site's flash gurus.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-28-2018 at 11:56 PM.
04-29-2018, 12:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Only a guru passing on second hand info! Thankfully there's been quite a lot of discussion from Shanny owners .... As I understand it, you're right Steve, no "wireless P-TTL" (so the advice to operate as a 'dumb slave' is sound). No wireless P-TTL also means that the Shanny only offers HSS on-camera, not via optical slave triggering.

So the idea of some "radio P-TTL" triggers is a good approach if automatic off-camera control and off-camera HSS is needed. Always make specific checks that third party flashes have been shown to work with specific triggers.

Last edited by mcgregni; 04-29-2018 at 12:58 AM.
04-29-2018, 01:11 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Am I also right in saying these triggers (specifically the cactus if you’re familiar with them) only come as single units, not in a box as a pair?
04-29-2018, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My guess is that you have it in S1 mode and the camera flash in P-TTL mode. The camera flash sends a preflash to determine exposure which triggers the shanny flash before the shutter opens. Thus it doesn't add to the captured exposure's lighting.

As others suggested either go manual on the camera flash or switch to S2 mode on the shanny flash. Using S2 will mean using flash exposure compensation on the camera to "balance" the added light from the slave flash.