Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which Wireless Trigger?

I have a two part question;

Question 1; When you have an AF540FGZII mounted to your K1, and you set that to Master, then you have a Metz 44 AF-2 set to slave, when the K-1 fires its flash from teh 540II to trigger the 44 to fire flash, is the flash from the 540II really taken into account in the shot also?

Question 2; Now that you know the two flashes I own, I am wanting to go wireless with my flash shooting. I want some kind of trigger on the K-1 to fire off preferably both flashes for a shot. I'm just not sure what to get.

What I've noticed is things start to get real crazy with the Pentax, it seems you need to whack on the cactus v6ii or something and then dock an additional trigger to that to which then fire a flash off... the K-1 starts to look like a tower! I'm really open to selling my two current flashes and grab a matching pair of flashes that have a receiver built in that works with the trigger on the K-1 (for example the RF60X from Cactus) if that means I keep things simpler.
I'm unaware however if there are any limitations to firing flash wirelessly off camera. I'd be keen on wanting to keep all the functionality I currently have when a flash is docked on the K-1 (TTL, HSS etc).

It's just been awhile since I looked into this area, have there been any new developments?
I have noted a few threads in this section that may be applicable to me so I shall now go and read some of those threads.

Cheers,

Bruce

04-29-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Cactus V5 transceivers (triggers). I have 3 Pentax AF360FGZ flashes and one Yongnuo YN585EX flash unit. They all fire flawlessly using my Pentax K-3 II. I have not tested them on my K-1 II yet, but I believe they should perform in a similar manner with it. I bought mine in sets of two. You can fire different groups with them or individual units using settings. I have 6 of the V5 triggers. The YN585EX does not have HSS.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-29-2018 at 08:51 PM.
04-29-2018, 09:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I use Cactus V5 transceivers (triggers). I have 3 Pentax AF360FGZ flashes and one Yongnuo YN585EX flash unit. They all fire flawlessly using my Pentax K-3 II. I have not tested them on my K-1 II yet, but I believe they should perform in a similar manner with it. I bought mine in sets of two. You can fire different groups with them or individual units using settings. I have 6 of the V5 triggers. The YN585EX does not have HSS.
I gather the V5 don't do HSS? That's a very important feature I need.
04-29-2018, 10:29 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Get yourself a pair of V6 IIs, Bruce!

Whenever you use a speedlight as a master, you can choose the menu item for it to not contribute to the scene, but at high ISO you will see residual light, because like a light bulb it doesn't switch off immediately, it fades away.

04-29-2018, 11:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Question 1; When you have an AF540FGZII mounted to your K1, and you set that to Master, then you have a Metz 44 AF-2 set to slave, when the K-1 fires its flash from teh 540II to trigger the 44 to fire flash, is the flash from the 540II really taken into account in the shot also?
Using the AF540 to trigger the Metz "optically" as you do now, there are a few variables. I don't own the Metz but is it compatible to be used as an optical slave with P-TTL ? Or does it operate in "dumb" slave mode ?

If you set the AF540 as "Master" it will contribute to the flash output. If you want it to control another off camera flash but not contribute to the flash output you need to select Controller" instead.

Either way, radio triggers are the way to go. I use the Cactus V6 II together with AF540 and RF60X and they work very well together.
04-29-2018, 11:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Get yourself a pair of V6 IIs, Bruce!

Whenever you use a speedlight as a master, you can choose the menu item for it to not contribute to the scene, but at high ISO you will see residual light, because like a light bulb it doesn't switch off immediately, it fades away.
I think I will! The thing right now is it's prolly going to be a large B&H order, perhaps even a lastolite backdrop as well, I just want to get my order correct before I have several hunner dollar order coming my way. (might actually be best to split the order to avoid custom tax!).

I'm really just trying to get myself straight, should I buy one trigger and one RF60X (and perhaps flog one of my existing speedlights such as the metz 44) or just keep my speedlights and get two triggers.

Outdoor wise, I do like to travel light, I do like the idea of a single v6ii on the k1 and then a RF60X on a light stand with softbox or fong diffuser. I'm concerned for walking about that having a non RF60X speedlight (+fong diffuser mounted to it) then onto a v6ii reciever which is then docked to a tripod/light stand would just make things really flimsy like when walking about etc. I mean hey I'd love to have heaps of triggers and RF60X's but I have to be careful with my funds, the way my bank balance is speaking to me right now I shouldn't even be having this conversation with you!
I just can't help feeling my 540II and Metz 44 were mistake purchases (made back in Oct-Nov last year when I had a wedding in december and had no clue etc). Had i been a little more clued up I really think I woulda went RF60X x2 + 1xv6ii (for about the same or even less $$ i spent!).

Indoor wise, I'm starting to think about speedlites to practice studio set ups, gearing towards the school photography gig that I have lined up next year. I see there is a healthy debate with continious vs strobe, but with kids I think i have to go strobes due to the wincing of the eyes etc, they're just too young to take commands like "try and keep yer eyes normal and natural and not squint' etc.

The Lastolite backdrop was recommended to me as a possible solution to a portable backdrop. I have no internal home space to have a permanent studio place, any practice needs to have a minimal set up and pack away hassle, and the Lastolite (despite its price) does seem to offer that. I mean I literally have no where to even keep a couple of stands, no shed, no garage etc. something that flat packs down like a tent is really attractive to me.
I noticed the idea with the lastolite is to put a continous light in side (if you want) so you can get those high key shots. I have to say that is quite an attractive prospect, but you can also have regular darker non lit-up backdrop attached as well.
So I'm thinking my over all speedlite situation is one out in the field (v6ii trigger on board, one RF60X with me, minimal fuss), and then for studio work I need one continuous light for the backdrop (suggest away!), one speed light from the side (RF60X) and perhaps a fill light from the front (possibly on camera, just unsure if the 540II or the Metz would cooperate that way). It might be simpler to flog both my speedlights and get two RF60X's and one trigger (i take it the trigger could fire both together at different power outputs (one key one fill)?

And then you said 'you can choose the menu item for it to not contribute to the scene', can you elaborate on that a bit? Menu... which menu... where and what on etc. Please (as always) pretend I'm a child. Bruce language pls.
04-30-2018, 12:28 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Both take part in the pre-flash and both contribute to the main if the 540 is master and on-camera. If the 540 is controller, only the Metz contributes to the pre-flash and main.

Question 2; Now that you know the two flashes I own, I am wanting to go wireless with my flash shooting. I want some kind of trigger on the K-1 to fire off preferably both flashes for a shot. I'm just not sure what to get.
Do you want off-camera P-TTL? Will you be shooting in bright conditions? How are you with cables?

Steve

(...recently bought a couple of Yongnuo YN560III and a YN560-TXII along with some Pentax shoe adapters and cables...)

04-30-2018, 01:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Both take part in the pre-flash and both contribute to the main if the 540 is master and on-camera. If the 540 is controller, only the Metz contributes to the pre-flash and main.

Do you want off-camera P-TTL? Will you be shooting in bright conditions? How are you with cables?

Steve

(...recently bought a couple of Yongnuo YN560III and a YN560-TXII along with some Pentax shoe adapters and cables...)
How does one set the 540 to controller then? I'll have a look at the manual but in all honesty with my disabilities not a lot makes sense when reading it. I learn through trial and error, and oddly through forum discussions...

I want free from cables, I want to shoot in national parks, perhaps at dusk and use some heavy duty lighting (perhaps eventually beyond speedlights to something stronger) to get some interesting portrait shots done 'on location'.
I'm really enjoying Manual Focus shooting currently, that has put an end to me using a vello cable to flash. Typically when I go out bushwalking these days I have a tripod with me, I'm used to ferrying one around now. I think to have a flash mounted on it would help with some shoots.

I've tried to read some other threads about cactus v6ii triggers and working with other flashes and honestly the lingo gets completely lost on me. TTL I understand to mean Through The Lens, but then that really doesn't mean a whole lot to me, P-TTL X-TTL and i'm sure there are more... it gets a bit overwhelming.

All I really know is I want off camera flash to work just like it does on camera, so yes I must have HSS (as that's something I tend to use a fair bit at the moment, I just want to try it off camera instead of fairly directly like I've had to make do thus far. In addition to this I want the ability to fire 2-3 flashes and not just one, and to have control over each flash to fire a different amount of power/light, and all of them to work HSS as well (if need should arise, I doubt I'd ever use 2-3 HSS outside... but hey you never know).

Currently I have zero triggers and zero continuous light sources, just a 540ii and a metz 44. I believe cactus v6ii triggers are the only way to go for proper wireless flash, I'm thinking of ditching my current flashes and replacing with the RF60X's...

So i apologise for not understanding all the lingo involved with this, as with most things I prefer to get some help with the purchase first, then learn on the job so to speak. I just want to be semi informed that if I go route a) then I will be getting what I want and not stumbling down the line realising things can't do as I want etc.
04-30-2018, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

How does one set the 540 to controller then? I'll have a look at the manual but in all honesty with my disabilities not a lot makes sense when reading it. I learn through trial and error, and oddly through forum discussions....
The K-1 itself doesn't have an inbuilt flash, so sorry, no menus there, instead, on the 540 choose 'C' from the M/C/S setting.
04-30-2018, 01:54 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
on the 540 choose 'C' from the M/C/S setting
On the AF540 II which Bruce has it is slightly different. Press the MODE button and cycle through until "P-TTL (W) Master" is displayed. Then press the SET button and turn the setting dial which cycles through Master/Controller/Slave. press the SET button again to set it.
04-30-2018, 02:28 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The K-1 itself doesn't have an inbuilt flash, so sorry, no menus there, instead, on the 540 choose 'C' from the M/C/S setting.
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
On the AF540 II which Bruce has it is slightly different. Press the MODE button and cycle through until "P-TTL (W) Master" is displayed. Then press the SET button and turn the setting dial which cycles through Master/Controller/Slave. press the SET button again to set it.
Thanks lads, so by doing this the flash fires on the 540II but there's a slight enough of a delay that it's not taken too much into account when it fires the slave flash? In a sense I have a 'wireless trigger' by doing this for the time being? But it's not radio, so how does it work? Like... are the limitations, do the flashes need to 'see/point' to each other? Is there a range limit? Do they work worse in bright sunny days? etc.
04-30-2018, 03:21 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks lads, so by doing this the flash fires on the 540II but there's a slight enough of a delay that it's not taken too much into account when it fires the slave flash? In a sense I have a 'wireless trigger' by doing this for the time being? But it's not radio, so how does it work? Like... are the limitations, do the flashes need to 'see/point' to each other? Is there a range limit? Do they work worse in bright sunny days? etc.
It is of course wireless - that's been the term for years.

And yes, outdoors, the red plastic covering the detector has to be in the line of sight of the controller, and a bright sunny day of course will cut down the range - it may have trouble working out that the controller's fired at all. This unreliability is why everyone uses radio triggers these days, plus, what do you do if the flash is inside a softbox?

Indoors there should be no problem at all - a reflection should reach the detector.
04-30-2018, 08:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

You are right as far as I know.
04-30-2018, 01:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is of course wireless - that's been the term for years.

And yes, outdoors, the red plastic covering the detector has to be in the line of sight of the controller, and a bright sunny day of course will cut down the range - it may have trouble working out that the controller's fired at all. This unreliability is why everyone uses radio triggers these days, plus, what do you do if the flash is inside a softbox?

Indoors there should be no problem at all - a reflection should reach the detector.
Thanks clackers.