Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Sto-Fen Flash Products

Has anybody used these? I'm looking for a defuser for my af-360.
This site sells them and want to hear reviews. I find that my flash is to strong even if I bounce it so I'm hoping this will soften it up a bit.

STO-FEN Products

02-23-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most diffusers work fairly well; Sto-fen are considered very fine! But expect to do some new learning to match the new exposure curve.
02-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You may want to consider using a bounce card. Here is a how-to video for constructing one from a foam sheet and how to use it. I've just started to play around with one I build per the video.

YouTube - How To Make A Better Bounce Card

Tim
02-23-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Each type of diffuser has different lighting effect. Sto-Fen works quite well in some circumstances.

But the best part about Sto-Fen is that it is compact, small and robust. Quick to put on, or it can be left on at all times; compared with LightSphere or bounce card which can be unwieldy and attract unnecessary attention/comments when in use, and fiddly to store and to put on.

02-24-2007, 04:33 AM   #5

I occasionally use sto-fen white omnibounce. It comes handy when I don't want direct flash but can't bounce from ceiling but still want somewhat diffused light. It acts like a bulb, lighting up everything in all directions and bouncing from every side. Usually turning down flash exposure to -1 will give nice results and flashing from an angle without bouncing gives a good compromise between direct flash and bounce. Especially useful when you can't bounce - for example when shooting under the tables/benches (well, you can find intersting things there) or trying to catch something deeply situated in shelves, cupboards etc.