Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2018, 04:36 PM - 2 Likes   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Craig Ransom Quote
Hi, I’m just starting out with strobes too and am looking at the Godox AD200 setup for my K1. I would love the guidance on triggers and setup plz....
It's not out yet, and it may be a bit of a wait, but Godox just announced an XPro-P transmitter for Pentax. After the AD200 firmware update comes out to support the Pentax signalling, you should not only have remote power control and HSS, but also TTL and TCM (TTL-convert-to-Manual; essentially a way to lock in the power level set by TTL) with the AD200.

But if you need something right now, then you could use any one of the three triggers mentioned: XPro, X1T, XT16, or XT32. All of them should give you HSS if a P-TTL capable trigger is sandwiched between it and the camera hotshoe, but can only give you manual triggering with M power control on a Pentax camera. It looks like this thread is a pretty good guide on how to get HSS with a Cactus V6II trigger and a Godox transmitter.

Flash Havoc also has extensive coverage on all of the different transmitters:
  • XT16: (single-pin, manual-only)
  • XT32: (manual-only on Pentax, but gives HSS for Canon/Nikon)
  • X1T: manual-only for Pentax until a -P version comes out, but TTL/HSS for respective dedicated "flavors" (-C=Canon, -N=Nikon, -S=Sony, -F=Fuji, -O=Olympus/Panasonic)
  • XPro-P: TTL/HSS for Pentax; other "flavors" manual only on Pentax, but TTL/HSS on dedicated "flavor".

09-04-2018, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #17

Thanks all for the reply's, I've also just read about the cactus RQ250 for pentax users. Maybe time to just sit on my wallet a bit longer to see who comes out on top after they are both released ??
09-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Craig Ransom Quote
Thanks all for the reply's, I've also just read about the cactus RQ250 for pentax users. Maybe time to just sit on my wallet a bit longer to see who comes out on top after they are both released ??
Sounds like a good idea, if the cost/feature differences aren't making an obvious decision for you between the two units. The Godox function with Pentax is as yet unknown; while Cactus V6II function with Pentax is pretty well understood. The RQ250, though, looks like it's going to cost more than twice the price of a AD200, and doesn't have the pack'n'head modular accessories the AD200 has; but it does have active cooling, color stability, and recycles about twice as fast.

I think a Godox AD400 Pro is closer to being the Godox analog to the RQ250, but that's just me.
09-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
I think a Godox AD400 Pro is closer to being the Godox analog to the RQ250, but that's just me.
Not just you, I also think that's the better comparison.

However, sadly, the Kickstarter campaign for the RQ250 wasn't successful and Cactus suspended the RQ250 project.

09-07-2018, 04:09 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Not just you, I also think that's the better comparison.

However, sadly, the Kickstarter campaign for the RQ250 wasn't successful and Cactus suspended the RQ250 project.
Well, crap. That leaves only the new rumored tiny Profoto as an AD400 Pro / AD200 competitor...