Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Its charged, no loose connection and set to manual? Should work. Are the 2 parts set to the same channel? Does it test fire or does it have a light to show its received a signal?
Yep. Receiver gets the test signal, but the flash won’t fire.

Connection is locked in, same channel, set to manual. Works on an old Vivitar manual flash, but not the shanny....

06-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Other than fresh batteries i got nothing more. Hope you solve it.
06-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Other than fresh batteries i got nothing more. Hope you solve it.
Thanks. I’ll swap the batteries out in the flash just in case and give it another go.

The flash still fires from the hot shoe though...does that mean it wouldn’t be batteries or is it possible that if they’re low it won’t remote fire?
06-16-2018, 10:39 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It has happened to me. Test fires but won't trigger. Change batteries and works.

06-17-2018, 12:21 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
It has happened to me. Test fires but won't trigger. Change batteries and works.
Changed batteries. Didn’t work.
06-17-2018, 01:18 AM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lewvanbommel Quote
Changed batteries. Didn’t work.
Have you tried another flash unit on the receiver to ensure it's actually firing? I've had a faulty receiver before now, where it showed it was getting the trigger signal but didn't actually fire the flash...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-17-2018 at 01:24 AM.
06-17-2018, 02:36 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Have you tried another flash unit on the receiver to ensure it's actually firing? I've had a faulty receiver before now, where it showed it was getting the trigger signal but didn't actually fire the flash...

Yeah I have. It works on an old Vivitar flash unit but not the shanny. I’m thinking the shanny needs extra pins or something.

06-17-2018, 03:20 AM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah I have. It works on an old Vivitar flash unit but not the shanny. I’m thinking the shanny needs extra pins or something.
It could be that the centre pin on the Shanny's mount isn't touching the contact on the receiver's hot-shoe. That could be for a couple of reasons... Either the pin isn't extending far enough out of the foot, or the pins on the foot aren't quite lined up with those on the receiver's hot-shoe.

Does the flash push all the way into the receiver's hot-shoe, or does it appear to overhang a bit at the rear? Is there a possibility that there's more material at the front of the Shanny's foot than with the Vivitar, preventing the Shanny's pins from lining up with the hot-shoe contacts?
06-17-2018, 04:26 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It could be that the centre pin on the Shanny's mount isn't touching the contact on the receiver's hot-shoe. That could be for a couple of reasons... Either the pin isn't extending far enough out of the foot, or the pins on the foot aren't quite lined up with those on the receiver's hot-shoe.

Does the flash push all the way into the receiver's hot-shoe, or does it appear to overhang a bit at the rear? Is there a possibility that there's more material at the front of the Shanny's foot than with the Vivitar, preventing the Shanny's pins from lining up with the hot-shoe contacts?
Hmm I didn’t think of that. I’ll need to have a look. If that’s the case is there a way to fix it?
06-17-2018, 05:18 AM   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmm I didn’t think of that. I’ll need to have a look. If that’s the case is there a way to fix it?
Only by removing material from either the receiver hot-shoe / surrounding case, or from the flash foot. Obviously it's preferable to remove material on the receiver if possible, since it's usually a less expensive item
06-17-2018, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

A few pictures of the Shanny hotshoe, and the troublesome triggers, would be handy at this point.
06-17-2018, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #27

I have that problem on my K1000 with either (I don't recall) my Vivitar 285 or Sunpak 422D. The foot on the flash is a little too long in front so the center pin doesn't make contact. I could shave down the foot but I relegated the K1000 to parts so I don't care. The flashes work fine on every other body or off camera cable I have so it's not worth my time to modify the foot.
06-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A few pictures of the Shanny hotshoe, and the troublesome triggers, would be handy at this point.
I probably should have thought of this earlier haha. Will grab some today and pop them in here.
06-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #29

Just a thought, if the pins aren't lining up, perhaps you can mount the flash backwards in the trigger shoe and that will bring the pins in alignment.
06-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
Just a thought, if the pins aren't lining up, perhaps you can mount the flash backwards in the trigger shoe and that will bring the pins in alignment.
I didn’t even think of this.