Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2018, 10:56 PM   #16

Hello,

I am new here, I bought the yongnuo 585EX and tried off cam flash, I am using K3 and it has built in flash and it needs to be activated so it will connect to my 585EX, my question is, are there trigger that is compatible with 585ex? to avoid the popping of my ke built-in flash?

Thanks!

07-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by janrae Quote
Hello,

I am new here, I bought the yongnuo 585EX and tried off cam flash, I am using K3 and it has built in flash and it needs to be activated so it will connect to my 585EX, my question is, are there trigger that is compatible with 585ex? to avoid the popping of my ke built-in flash?

Thanks!
Are you using the built in flash as a controller? (option on right side of flash settings menu).
If so, the popping of the built in flash doesn't, well, shouldn't show up in the exposure.
Pentax Wireless Control is done through optical communication so the signal the Yongnuo Flash would receive is a series of flashes from the controller flash before the actual exposure takes place.
The nice thing about the Pentax Wireless on the K-3 is that you already have what you need for off camera flash.

Regarding triggers, any Pentax P-TTL trigger would work and the zillions of single pin triggers as well.
You'd have to get 2 triggers though, one for the camera (actual trigger) and one for the flash (receiver).
07-27-2018, 11:54 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Are you using the built in flash as a controller? (option on right side of flash settings menu).
If so, the popping of the built in flash doesn't, well, shouldn't show up in the exposure.
Pentax Wireless Control is done through optical communication so the signal the Yongnuo Flash would receive is a series of flashes from the controller flash before the actual exposure takes place.
The nice thing about the Pentax Wireless on the K-3 is that you already have what you need for off camera flash.

Regarding triggers, any Pentax P-TTL trigger would work and the zillions of single pin triggers as well.
You'd have to get 2 triggers though, one for the camera (actual trigger) and one for the flash (receiver).
Thanks kobie, I bought yongnou triggers in amazon,
07-29-2018, 09:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just did a couple photo session, and really wished I had the TTL trigger lol. Was fairly cumbersome to adjust power level while I was moving the light around, and access is not the best with my softbox. If I don't need hss, what are TTL options for triggers? Cactus v6 II are too expensive for now (maybe in future if I end up getting into portraits more)

07-29-2018, 11:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the trigger is compatible but i think you will not get full P-TTL function for this connection
07-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I just did a couple photo session, and really wished I had the TTL trigger lol. Was fairly cumbersome to adjust power level while I was moving the light around, and access is not the best with my softbox. If I don't need hss, what are TTL options for triggers? Cactus v6 II are too expensive for now (maybe in future if I end up getting into portraits more)
Acon is a P-TTL trigger for pentax but it is just as much as Catus. There were a pair of V6ii Cactus in the marketplace recently. Those are really the best remote control power manipulation triggers for Pentax that I know of. Actually I use Catus V6 (not v6II) so my knowledge is limited on the mark II.
07-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Acon is a P-TTL trigger for pentax but it is just as much as Catus. There were a pair of V6ii Cactus in the marketplace recently. Those are really the best remote control power manipulation triggers for Pentax that I know of. Actually I use Catus V6 (not v6II) so my knowledge is limited on the mark II.
Does V6 do P-TTL? I think Acon are cheaper though, pair goes for $120, and a pair of V6 II would be around $200 if I'm not mistaken.

07-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does V6 do P-TTL? I think Acon are cheaper though, pair goes for $120, and a pair of V6 II would be around $200 if I'm not mistaken.
V6 is strictly manual. V6ii adds HSS. The Acon triggers are quirky. The used Cactus V6ii's were on here for around $60 each recently.
07-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

V6 is strictly manual. V6ii adds HSS. The Acon triggers are quirky. The used Cactus V6ii's were on here for around $60 each recently.
So V6 is similar to my Cowboy Studios triggers? Also strictly manual control.

I thought V6 does P-TTL, but I guess I need to do more research

I'm using a single large softbox right now to light my outdoor portraits, I read that Acon aren't too tricky if you're not using multiple groups and stuff.
07-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So V6 is similar to my Cowboy Studios triggers? Also strictly manual control.

I thought V6 does P-TTL, but I guess I need to do more research

I'm using a single large softbox right now to light my outdoor portraits, I read that Acon aren't too tricky if you're not using multiple groups and stuff.
V6 provides direct visual feedback and remote control over power levels of up to 4 groups of flashes. I don't know what your cowboy triggers do.
07-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

V6 provides direct visual feedback and remote control over power levels of up to 4 groups of flashes. I don't know what your cowboy triggers do.
Ok I think I misunderstood. I kept thinking P-TTL is the only way to control power remotely, but I guess it's possible even without it? That would be just fine for me, all I wanted was to play around with different settings without reaching into the softbox all the time
07-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok I think I misunderstood. I kept thinking P-TTL is the only way to control power remotely, but I guess it's possible even without it? That would be just fine for me, all I wanted was to play around with different settings without reaching into the softbox all the time
As others have pointed out, the V6ii transmitter/receiver will control up to four groups of several RF60x flashes without you going anywhere near the softbox. Setting can be changed from the V6ii transmitter. With two V6ii transmitters/receivers, you can use one as a transmitter and one as a receiver and use a number of third party flashes. With the RF60x flash, that's not necessary - it has a built in receiver.
07-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
As others have pointed out, the V6ii transmitter/receiver will control up to four groups of several RF60x flashes without you going anywhere near the softbox. Setting can be changed from the V6ii transmitter. With two V6ii transmitters/receivers, you can use one as a transmitter and one as a receiver and use a number of third party flashes. With the RF60x flash, that's not necessary - it has a built in receiver.
I don't own a Cactus flash, I have the 540 mark 1 and 360 mark 1 right now. Would I be able to control the power output of those flashes with V6 mark 1? Or i'd need the Mark 2 for that?

---------- Post added 07-30-18 at 03:57 PM ----------

I don't own a Cactus flash, I have the 540 mark 1 and 360 mark 1 right now. Would I be able to control the power output of those flashes with V6 mark 1? Or i'd need the Mark 2 for that?
reason I'm asking is, I see v6 mark 1 going for about $30 used, would be pretty good value if they can control the power output remotely for this much.
07-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

---------- Post added 07-30-18 at 03:57 PM ----------

reason I'm asking is, I see v6 mark 1 going for about $30 used, would be pretty good value if they can control the power output remotely for this much.
I'm sorry - I don't know. I have the V6ii and RF60x combination.
07-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Yes, the V6 offers Manual flash mode and remote power control. You will need 3 V6 units to control your 2 Pentax flashes. You set each flash to a group (A, B) on it's receiver, then activate the group buttons on the transmitter to set each group on or off. Power levels are set with a dial, and you see the power level indicated on the display for each group

You can adjust each group independently, or move the power levels in 'tandem', maintaining a fixed relationship.

The V6 (and V6II) is interchangeable as receiver or transmitter, and it's role is set with the power switch to either Tx or Rx mode.