Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #1

K-1 and wireless off camera TTL help!

So I was so excited for ff that I totally overlooked the fact that there is no on board flash on the k-1 😒 I was accustomed to using an off camera flash wirelessly with the on board flash of my k-3. Sooo is the only option for off camera TTL flash really a cord unless I buy 2 new Pentax flashes? I have the old 540 flash and I see I’d need 2 of the new ones. Plus honestly I’d rather not have to lug around an external flash just to communicate with an off camera flash, too heavy for weddings etc imo. Plus all the $$ im saving by using Pentax goes out the window if I need another $1k in new flashes just to get wireless TTL off camera flash! So my questions are is cord the only option for TTL? Secondly will any brand/type wireless trigger work if I need wireless and just deal with manual mode for the external flash? BTW I currently own the old model Pentax 540 flash and a Metz flash that is capable of wireless with my K-3 and K-5 since they both had on board flash.

06-06-2018, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But the 540 can act as a controller for your Metz, right?

If not, a pair of Cactus V6 II radio transceivers should work with your existing gear, no need to buy another flash.
06-06-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

If not, a pair of Cactus V6 II radio transceivers should work with your existing gear, no need to buy another flash.
That was going to be my go to solution too. Well said Clackers!
06-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But the 540 can act as a controller for your Metz, right?

Yes, the 540 can control the Metz but it’s hot where I live, 😩 lol, and I don’t want the weight of the 540 on camera if possible. Will the cactus v6 II communicate TTL? Or will I be in manual?

Thanks for y’alls quick reply!!

06-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jwilhite Quote
Yes, the 540 can control the Metz but it’s hot where I live, 😩 lol, and I don’t want the weight of the 540 on camera if possible. Will the cactus v6 II communicate TTL? Or will I be in manual?

v6 and v6 II do TTL I believe, but v6 II also does hss
06-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #6

If you want to use your two flashes you would need to get a total of (3) three Cactus V6II (1) One per flash & (1) one for camera. (You might be able to use the V6, I do not own the V6 so I'm not sure if it does P-TTL)
Good luck
06-06-2018, 10:44 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, the 540 can control the Metz but it’s hot where I live, �� lol, and I don’t want the weight of the 540 on camera if possible. Will the cactus v6 II communicate TTL? Or will I be in manual?

You now know the options, it's all down to dollars, Jwilhite, we can't help you any further.

For free you get the weighty 540 you already own.

For a small amount of money you can get small generic radio triggers that will work in manual mode.

For the most expenditure you get a pair (or three) of largeish Cactus V6 IIs.

06-07-2018, 06:16 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

V6 doesn't do pttl. It does allow you very precise pseudo-manual control using ttl features of the flashes. V6ii is different.
06-07-2018, 06:20 AM   #9

If you want P-TTL off-camera, but not HSS, there is the Yongnuo YN585EX Speedlite for Pentax. You can trigger it optically with your 540 in P-TTL mode, but not the other way around.
06-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #10
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buy a used AFG360

So I was so excited for ff that I totally overlooked the fact that there is no on board flash on the k-1 😒 I was accustomed to using an off camera flash wirelessly with the on board flash of my k-3. Sooo is the only option for off camera TTL flash really a cord unless I buy 2 new Pentax flashes? I have the old 540 flash and I see I’d need 2 of the new ones. Plus honestly I’d rather not have to lug around an external flash just to communicate with an off camera flash, too heavy for weddings etc imo. Plus all the $$ im saving by using Pentax goes out the window if I need another $1k in new flashes just to get wireless TTL off camera flash! So my questions are is cord the only option for TTL? Secondly will any brand/type wireless trigger work if I need wireless and just deal with manual mode for the external flash? BTW I currently own the old model Pentax 540 flash and a Metz flash that is capable of wireless with my K-3 and K-5 since they both had on board flash.
KEH has an excellent AFG360 for $99. That’s what I did. It is much lighter than the 540. I added a Yongnuo 585 for under $100 and they all work seamlessly.
06-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd still suggest getting simple dummy triggers and learn how to use manual lighting On my recent shoot, I did want to have everything controlled via camera and wanted to trigger my two big flashes from the small 360, but in the end it was far easier to use triggers, setting it to whatever exposure I needed, and keeping them that way throughout the shoot since I didn't move from the location. Also, if you're using softboxes, it's much harder to optically trigger flashes since the softbox might block the signal. If you want something more robust, Cactus triggers seem like good options, however I had 0 issues with my cheapo triggers
06-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Secondly will any brand/type wireless trigger work if I need wireless and just deal with manual mode for the external flash?
Yes, any wireless trigger will work, however,
  1. if you get very cheap ones, make sure they support the 1/200s sync-speed of your K-1. No need to be stuck with triggers that only fully work at 1/160s max, or so.
  2. I agree with awscreo that manually controlling flashes is a good idea, but once you have tasted remote power level control, you'll never want to go back to a system that makes you walk to each flash to change its power level. If a flash is hard to reach (high on a light stand or hidden within a softbox, etc.), it becomes very tedious to adjust power levels. Hence, I'd least get a V6 trigger that supports remote power level and remote zoom setting control. You'd have to check compatibility with your Metz model, though.
  3. All of the above only support shutter speeds up to 1/200s on your K-1. If you want to use higher shutter speeds then your trigger system needs to be HSS-capable. The V6II that has been mentioned already supports HSS and on top of that (optionally) P-TTL.
06-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Reading this thread, it seems an enormous pity that Acon Photo seems to have died, and that it's products never really took off.

The market is clearly there for simple and affordable P-TTL/HSS supporting radio triggers.
06-07-2018, 10:59 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Reading this thread, it seems an enormous pity that Acon Photo seems to have died, and that it's products never really took off.

The market is clearly there for simple and affordable P-TTL/HSS supporting radio triggers.
They're the ones I take with me more than anything else, Rawr, thanks partly to you, even though I have pairs of both Cactus v5 and v6 II.

Setup once, never configure again, small, cheaper, nothing to adjust (I never changed the firmware to try firing Nikon flashes with P-TTL/HSS or whatever it was supposed to do).
06-22-2018, 05:49 AM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
it seems an enormous pity that Acon Photo seems to have died, and that it's products never really took off.
Acon R930 P-TTL radio trigger and 1/8000 Sync - Page 11 - PentaxForums.com