Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Battery Pack for Cactus RF60x?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

As I am messing around (testing) with my flashes, it's costing me a fortune in batteries, I was wondering if there is a rechargeable battery pack, something that connects to the speed light and is used instead of 4xAA rechargables (I don't even have these yet...)?

TIA!

Bruce

06-11-2018, 11:07 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First rule of flash photography...buy two sets on eneloop per flash as well as a quality charger.

Second rule of flash photography...the first rule is sure to prove inadequate at some point.

Your flash has a fitting for an external power supply. Using an external power supply along with the internal batteries can shorten recycle time and extend time between battery changes. Cactus sells one (EP-1) as an accessory, though often the connectors are standardized with a Canon-compatible fitting allowing external power from a number of vendors.*

Steve

* According to a community inquiry on the Cactus Web site, your flash has a Canon-type fitting.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-11-2018 at 11:22 PM.
06-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
...something that connects to the speed light and is used instead of 4xAA rechargables (I don't even have these yet...)?
Everything stevebrot said was spot on.

Perhaps adding to that:
Even with a battery pack (taking eight AAs or one big Li-Ion battery), you'll need four AAs in the flash. The flash won't operate only off the power pack.

The battery pack mainly increases the flash's stamina (you'll find it very hard to run out of juice), but it doesn't do wonders to the recycling rate (which is already at a phenomenal 1.9s for the RF60X without a pack).

I recommend the white Eneloops unless you really absolutely need to maximise battery life. The black ones have a higher capacity but a reduced number of maximum recharge cycles.

Finally, get a decent charger. There is no point in hurting your rechargable with cheap wall chargers that do not charge cells individually, charge them too quickly, don't offer a refresh function, etc.
06-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Finally, get a decent charger. There is no point in hurting your rechargable with cheap wall chargers that do not charge cells individually, charge them too quickly, don't offer a refresh function, etc.
I used to poo-poo the advice to use a higher-end charger, but that was in the days before I had a set of eneloop go flaky. I use a MAHA Powerex MH-C800S and am quite happy except for the non-lit LED display* and strange use of a multi-pin power fitting for a two conductor cord.

Addendum: If one is shopping for a charger, I recommend careful reading of the features and avoid those that claim "auto detect" for trickle charge or conditioning cycles. This is something you want to control and is not the same as detecting and flagging a battery as bad. I also suggest skipping those with less than 8-cell capacity. The prices are about the same as those made for four cells.

Steve

* I can understand having to option to turn a display off, but no light at all for a device often used in dim light is just plain dumb. It is barely readable in common indoor room light...rant over.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-12-2018 at 10:27 AM.
06-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So something like this then? Eneloop Rechargeable Batteries NiMH 8 AA 4 AAA + Battery Charger Recharge New | eBay

I have to say, I didn't realise the EP-1 for the Cactus physically took batteries itself (till I googled it last night), I just thought it was rechargeable usb or something. Either way I'm a little put off with the idea of having to also connect that up to my set up, especially out and about. I mean for studio/indoor work that's perhaps ok, but really would funds just be better spent on having a second (or larger) charger and/or more eneloop batteries to swap out of the RF60x when it dries up? I mean you're going to have to get more batteries anyway for the EP-1, so it's pricetag of $50 is just for the enclosure... The way I see it it's only function is that it helps with minimising the amount of times you open the RF60X battery door and change batteries, but I'm ok with that (I think...).
06-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

So something like this then? Eneloop Rechargeable Batteries NiMH 8 AA 4 AAA + Battery Charger Recharge New | eBay
The batteries are the correct type, but the charger is exactly the cheap wall-charger type I tried to discourage you from. Note the remark "Batteries must be charged in pairs." which means that there is no monitoring of individual cells, but only of pairs. This is not ideal. You'll save so much money from not buying Alkalines anymore that you should, IMHO, get a decent charger that preserves your investment into the rechargeable cells. The MH-C800S mentioned by stevebrot is a good one, for instance.

so it's pricetag of $50 is just for the enclosure
That's not quite true because there is some circuitry in the power pack as well.

The way I see it it's only function is that it helps with minimising the amount of times you open the RF60X battery door and change batteries, but I'm ok with that (I think...).
Well, it significantly extends the time you can shoot without interruption.

There is also a slight gain regarding recycling times, but nothing dramatic.
06-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The batteries are the correct type, but the charger is exactly the cheap wall-charger type I tried to discourage you from. Note the remark "Batteries must be charged in pairs." which means that there is no monitoring of individual cells, but only of pairs. This is not ideal. You'll save so much money from not buying Alkalines anymore that you should, IMHO, get a decent charger that preserves your investment into the rechargeable cells. The MH-C800S mentioned by stevebrot is a good one, for instance.

That's not quite true because there is some circuitry in the power pack as well.

Well, it significantly extends the time you can shoot without interruption.

There is also a slight gain regarding recycling times, but nothing dramatic.
Oh I missed stevebrot's other post, he must have posted around the same time as I did and missed it, cool.

I guess it's just unfortunate that B&H don't stock the EP-1 but other Cactus goodies, as I have other things to grab from them, looks like I need to go direct to Cactus for the Ep-1, which then boosts the price as I'm paying shipping for that (and possibly only that). I'll see... still working on my shopping list.

Thanks both for the help as always!

06-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I used to poo-poo the advice to use a higher-end charger, but that was in the days before I had a set of eneloop go flaky. I use a MAHA Powerex MH-C800S and am quite happy except for the non-lit LED display* and strange use of a multi-pin power fitting for a two conductor cord.

Addendum: If one is shopping for a charger, I recommend careful reading of the features and avoid those that claim "auto detect" for trickle charge or conditioning cycles. This is something you want to control and is not the same as detecting and flagging a battery as bad. I also suggest skipping those with less than 8-cell capacity. The prices are about the same as those made for four cells.

Steve

* I can understand having to option to turn a display off, but no light at all for a device often used in dim light is just plain dumb. It is barely readable in common indoor room light...rant over.
So I'm finding that charger go for around $100AUD. Steve... if your one died would you just get another one or do you have your eye on something else? I'm keen for a proper charger, $100AUD is ok, however if you're peeved over some features it then makes me think I too will get peeved over the same issues in due course lol.
06-20-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Steve... if your one died would you just get another one or do you have your eye on something else?
I am not that upset and still consider the Powerex unit to be good value. There is not much else in its price range with similar feature set.

Steve
06-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am not that upset and still consider the Powerex unit to be good value. There is not much else in its price range with similar feature set.

Steve
Ok Steve thanks, now all I need is 8 AA batteries to boot
06-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ok Steve thanks, now all I need is 8 AA batteries to boot
Only eight? I have 32.

Steve
06-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter