Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2018, 06:11 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
will only work optically as a slave
it does work with the Pentax optical P-TTL off camera wireless mode.
How do I set that up on K3II?

11-01-2018, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
How do I set that up on K3II?
You'll need 2 flashes. One as the controller/Master on camera to control the 2nd flash off camera.
In other words, you'll need a Pentax P-TTL flash to be in the hotshoe of your camera (you can use 2 585 EX's, or any P-TTL compatible flash generally speaking).
If you want 100% assurance that this will work, you only have one choice which is either a Pentax AF 360 or 540 FGZ or 360/540 FGZ II as controllers/Masters ON camera.
If you want P-TTL wirelessly, your only cheaper option is the Yongnuo 585 EX for off camera triggered optically from another P-TTL flash on Camera.
11-02-2018, 01:30 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Easiest solution is to use the new Godox X PRO P trigger on camera. Coupled with the V860II. Pttl HSS front and rear curtain sync... Bit of a no brainer...
11-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
Easiest solution is to use the new Godox X PRO P trigger on camera. Coupled with the V860II. Pttl HSS front and rear curtain sync... Bit of a no brainer...
True, but I believe they wanted to now how to get optical wireless P-TTL working with a Yongnuo 585 EX, so that's what I was explaining.
I'd rather get the Godox or Cactus triggers since the optical P-TTL is quite limited.

11-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
I guess I really just needed to take a moment to figure out what to do about flash for what I need. Godox; the price IS definitely right but it's difficult for me to give but only so much credence in a Chinese brand. My YN585EX the flash triggers but pictures are coming out black but I'm having no issues with my Pentax flashes including the old ones, so I'm not feeling too confident about these off brands right now. I may change my mind though. I'm just a novice so I don't really know. I'm sure they work, little to no service/support though, and with the bargain pricing you won't be too upset if/when they die in a year or two. I view it as disposable gear. Maybe I'll find some deals on Pentax or maybe Metz while everyone is on the Godox bandwagon...

Thanks!
11-02-2018, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #21

You'll need 2 flashes. One as the controller/Master on camera to control the 2nd flash off camera.
In other words, you'll need a Pentax P-TTL flash to be in the hotshoe of your camera (you can use 2 585 EX's, or any P-TTL compatible flash generally speaking).
If you want 100% assurance that this will work, you only have one choice which is either a Pentax AF 360 or 540 FGZ or 360/540 FGZ II as controllers/Masters ON camera.
If you want P-TTL wirelessly, your only cheaper option is the Yongnuo 585 EX for off camera triggered optically from another P-TTL flash on Camera.
Just to clarify a bit, the YN-585ex works in P-TTL mode on the hot shoe. If you want it to work in wireless (optical) P-TTL mode off-camera, you need another flash to serve as Master or Controller like the Pentax 360FGZ, 540FGZ, 360FGZ II, or 540FGZ II. The YN-585EX cannot serve as a Master/Controller.
11-02-2018, 02:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

That is pity....I imagine if it had that functioning they would sell plenty two at a time.

11-02-2018, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #23

My YN585EX the flash triggers but pictures are coming out black...
Out of curiosity, are you trying to shoot above sync speed? Because, AFAIK, the YN-585EX doesn't do HSS.

QuoteQuote:
...I'm sure they work, little to no service/support though, and with the bargain pricing you won't be too upset if/when they die in a year or two. I view it as disposable gear. Maybe I'll find some deals on Pentax or maybe Metz while everyone is on the Godox bandwagon...
Yes, most of us view the Yongnuo/Godox as good disposable gear, but we also (in the USA) purchase Godox from Adorama or B&H, where the NYC retailer supplies the service/support for a year (two years if it's one of the AD Witstro lights). While they don't do factory repairs, they will exchange units and Adorama has been known to extend discounted replacements if the unit it out of warranty.

If all you want is an off-camera flash over radio, and you don't need TTL, you can just get a cheap $65 Godox TT600. You'll still get HSS and remote power control with a $70 XPro-P transmitter. If you want an on-camera/off-camera speedlight that does TTL, then I say wait for the TT685-P or V860II-P to be released. Getting a V860II non-P version now would mean sacrificing on-camera TTL/HSS.
11-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
Just to clarify a bit, the YN-585ex works in P-TTL mode on the hot shoe. If you want it to work in wireless (optical) P-TTL mode off-camera, you need another flash to serve as Master or Controller like the Pentax 360FGZ, 540FGZ, 360FGZ II, or 540FGZ II. The YN-585EX cannot serve as a Master/Controller.
Hmmm, the K-3 II doesn't have a master/controller option in a flash settings menu? (And yes, I know it doesn't have a built in flash).
I don't have a K-3 II so I'm not sure if that menu is completely missing, or if it is there when a flash is connected to the hot shoe.
11-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Out of curiosity, are you trying to shoot above sync speed?
To be honest 90% of the problem is I haven't a clue.

Here are three examples all in Green Mode:

Top: YN585EX, Middle: AF201FG, Bottom: AF500FTZ

In manual mode on P-TTL the 585 is pitch black
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
11-02-2018, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Hmmm, the K-3 II doesn't have a master/controller option in a flash settings menu? (And yes, I know it doesn't have a built in flash).
I don't have a K-3 II so I'm not sure if that menu is completely missing, or if it is there when a flash is connected to the hot shoe.
The camera "Master/Control" Flash modes only apply to a built-in flash, so they are absent on the K3II and K1. For Wireless Optical P-TTL operation the "master/control" option is set on the on-camera accessory flash.
11-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

now I get it
11-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #28

To be honest 90% of the problem is I haven't a clue.
Gotta start somewhere.

QuoteQuote:
Here are three examples all in Green Mode:

Top: YN585EX, Middle: AF201FG, Bottom: AF500FTZ

In manual mode on P-TTL the 585 is pitch black
Are the flashes on-camera? Or off? If off, how are you triggering them? And can you clarify what you mean by "In manual mode on P-TTL"? To me, a flash is either in TTL or it's in M (I'm not a Pentax shooter). Do you mean you've got the 585EX in M and SP mode for P-TTL optical wireless slaving?
11-03-2018, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #29

Brightseal, before you give up on the YN585EX, give this a try. Set your k-3II to "X" mode on the camera's dial. This fixes the shutter speed at 1/180 sec which is the flash sync speed of the camera. Set the ISO to 400. Use that 35mm lens you used for the photos of the YN boxes and set it to an aperture of 5.6. Mount the YN585EX in the hot shoe and press the mode button on the flash until "P-TTL" appears in it's display. Take a picture indoors of something about 10 feet away. If this doesn't give you a reasonably well exposed photo, I'd say something is wrong with the flash.
11-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
can you clarify
The 3 photos were taken with 3 different flashes all on the camera in AUTO mode.
When the camera dial is set on M and the flash is set to TTL, I get nothing but black only on the 585.