Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2018, 09:35 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DIY Macro Ringflash adapter

Hi all,
pjsaure's thread on his diffuser for the 35mm macro made me remember that I had built a similar adapter as well, when I used the K100D Super.

It's made of cardboard, and lined up with tin foil. The shape suits the SMC-M 50/1.7 mounted on the Kenko MC7 2X Macro TC, and can be used with the pop-up flash. I tried on my K-30, but it probably requires some adaptations since the shape of the pop-up is different.

Ringflash by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr

Here are some samples of what it can do. Illumination is uniform and definitely not unpleasant, at least for my taste.

1. an Oxythyrea funesta on an iris flower (reproduction ratio 1:1)
Oxythyrea by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr

2. An iris flower, detail (reproduction ratio 1:1)
Iris by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr

3. Ficus
Ficus by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr

06-14-2018, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Resident Nerd
Loyal Site Supporter

That's pretty ingenious, I should try build one myself.
Those are some excellent images as well!
06-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That's pretty ingenious, I should try build one myself.
Those are some excellent images as well!
Thanks!

You'll have to do as I did and go by feeling... neve followed a template (although I'm sure there are many), never made any drawings.
Just jury-rigged the thing piece by piece around the camera.
06-14-2018, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Sorry for all this
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is very cool....I may try to replicate....are there any Copyright fees I should be aware of?

06-14-2018, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love this. Thanks for posting with pictures
06-14-2018, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #6
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
That is very cool....I may try to replicate....are there any Copyright fees I should be aware of?
No fees, but one obligation... you need to copy it right, don't make any mistakes!

QuoteOriginally posted by PancakeFlipper Quote
Love this. Thanks for posting with pictures
TY
06-14-2018, 11:09 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've wondered if something like this would work and have thought about rigging something like it up before. Good to know that if I ever get around to making my own I have a chance of it working. So many things I want to build and do, so little time.
06-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I've wondered if something like this would work and have thought about rigging something like it up before. Good to know that if I ever get around to making my own I have a chance of it working. So many things I want to build and do, so little time.
Only risk you're running is to get some donut-shaped specular highlights, as with all ring flashes

06-14-2018, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #9

Very creative -- and great shots to!
06-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
Very creative -- and great shots to!
Not too creative... I got the idea from some other DIY on the internet... there's quite a bit of those.
Thanks for stopping by
06-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's ingenious and obviously effective.
NEXT PROJECT FOR YOU: For the system as pictured, fabricate an ever-ready case

Last edited by WPRESTO; 06-15-2018 at 02:56 AM.
06-15-2018, 12:04 AM   #12
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That's ingenious and obviously effective.
NEXT PROJECT FOR YOU: For the the system as pictured, fabricate an ever-ready case
Transport has always been the weak point... I usually jammed it in my bag, arranging thr lenses so that enough space was left, and in the proper shape.
As I wrote, I stopped using it when I changed camera... never tried it on the K-01, but now I usually take my Yomgnuo flashes when I do macro: with a Chinese diffuser the light doesn't look too bad.
06-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice job!

I made one of these several years ago. I followed the instructions in this link - you can enter the various dimensions of your equipment and it generates a template you can print:

From Paper To RingFlash In Few Easy Steps - DIY Photography

It was massive and not very portable, here's a shot in the mirror showing light distribution. It's brighter on the top than the bottom, probably some tinfoil on the bottom surface would help even this out:

In the end I mostly used it to document a hideous and recurring sore in the mouth of one of my cats (a very hard to light location!), so I'm not posting a sample picture as no one but my vet was excited to see that sort of thing (to be clear, she was excited about my rigorous and detailed documentation of the sore, not the sore itself.)
06-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ICYDNK: There are commercially made ring-flash adapter things, both for utilizing on-camera and on-shoe strobes. Some are smaller, others as large as the home-made ones shown above, but they flatten, then with the right twist fold to 1/3 as large in the same way as reflectors and diffusers. I always felt they'd be a little bulky-clumsy to use. Even the little soft boxes that go onto shoe-strobes can feel a but awkward. The handiest diffuser I've found is made by Vello, I call i a "sock."
06-17-2018, 11:34 AM   #15
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Nice job!

I made one of these several years ago. I followed the instructions in this link - you can enter the various dimensions of your equipment and it generates a template you can print:
*snip*
Yes I think tinfoil helps massively, especially in reducing the light loss from the pop-up to the dish (the pop-up is not in line of sight with the subject of the photo)

---------- Post added 06-17-18 at 08:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
ICYDNK: There are commercially made ring-flash adapter things, both for utilizing on-camera and on-shoe strobes. Some are smaller, others as large as the home-made ones shown above, but they flatten, then with the right twist fold to 1/3 as large in the same way as reflectors and diffusers. I always felt they'd be a little bulky-clumsy to use. Even the little soft boxes that go onto shoe-strobes can feel a but awkward. The handiest diffuser I've found is made by Vello, I call i a "sock."
Yes I knew

...but I usually go by the IYCDIYTDBY philosophy.
Which means: If You Can Do-It-Yourself, Then Don't Buy It!
It can actually become a hindrance, if practiced to an extreme...