Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2018, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I think you need to assess this by photographing a scene actually lit by the Shanny flash, not a photo of the Shanny flash lit by a Pentax flash on the camera.

Also I think the triggering flash should be in "control" mode to remove its effect from the scene, so that you are seeing only the results of the Shanny's output during the exposure time.
In the test published in my previous message I think that there was something missing, perhaps more curious than important:
Settings:
Camera: ISO 200, F5.6, 1/160, "wireless control" flash of the camera activated.
I shot by getting a picture almost black (photo 1).

I add Shanny slave flash in S1 Manual mode, 1/64 power, HSS disabled.
I shot by getting an illuminated photo (photo 2).

Active HSS in the Shanny.
I shot by getting an illuminated picture (photo 3) but with less intensity than photo 2.

It is this lightening difference that shows that Shanny acts differently when the HSS is activated. In this test I used a shutter speed within the normal synchronization margin, but in the previous test I used high synchronization speed.

---------- Post added 10-02-18 at 10:24 AM ----------

It would be good to test whether an on camera triggering flash can be used in ‘control’ mode for this, removing the need to use minus compensations and turning the head away....ideally we want to aim the control flash head straight at the slaves optical sensor, and this is very important outdoors in bright sun. I am aware that some Metz flashes don’t provide the option of ‘wireless control plus HSS’ mode together (as the Pentax units do). We might assume that control mode triggering would also work, however there are some differences in the pre flash sequence in that mode which would need testing with the Shanny S2 mode to be sure.
I can not do this test!
Metz 52 AF-1, placed on the camera's warm shoe, has the option to work as a remote controller (without affecting the exposure) ... but it does not allow shutter speed superior to the Normal synchronization (HSS is not possible).
In any case, I think that a flash installed on the camera's hot shoe, in remote control mode and activated HSS, would fire the Shanny correctly, in slave mode S1 or S2. I can not say it but I do not know why I should not do it.

---------- Post added 10-02-18 at 10:37 AM ----------

It would be good to test whether an on camera triggering flash can be used in ‘control’ mode for this, removing the need to use minus compensations and turning the head away....ideally we want to aim the control flash head straight at the slaves optical sensor, and this is very important outdoors in bright sun. I am aware that some Metz flashes don’t provide the option of ‘wireless control plus HSS’ mode together (as the Pentax units do). We might assume that control mode triggering would also work, however there are some differences in the pre flash sequence in that mode which would need testing with the Shanny S2 mode to be sure.
If I have a new chance to test with the Pentax AF540FGZ flash, I will try to do this.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
10-03-2018, 07:45 AM   #62

Photos: Gallery
Quick test for you guys........ With the AF540FGZ In wireless control mode. pointed directly at the Shanny unit, Shanny in P-TTL mode. using either a normal sync speed or HSS the Shanny does not fire..
10-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
Quick test for you guys........ With the AF540FGZ In wireless control mode. pointed directly at the Shanny unit, Shanny in P-TTL mode. using either a normal sync speed or HSS the Shanny does not fire..
Shanny out of the hot shoe can not work in P-TTL mode (as the manual says).
In slave, Shanny can only work in MANUAL (S1 or S2).
You should do this test:
Camera with a synchronization speed greater than 1/180 (between 1/200 and 1/6000).
Pentax AF540FGZ to the camera's shoe in Remote CONTROL mode and HSS activated.
Shanny out of the camera in MANUAL mode, slave S1 or S2, and HSS activated, with different powers (1/128 to 1/1).
This is the test that the friend "mcgregni" wants.
10-03-2018, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepo Quote
Shanny out of the hot shoe can not work in P-TTL mode (as the manual says).
In slave, Shanny can only work in MANUAL (S1 or S2).
You should do this test:
Camera with a synchronization speed greater than 1/180 (between 1/200 and 1/6000).
Pentax AF540FGZ to the camera's shoe in Remote CONTROL mode and HSS activated.
Shanny out of the camera in MANUAL mode, slave S1 or S2, and HSS activated, with different powers (1/128 to 1/1).
This is the test that the friend "mcgregni" wants.
Did the test you asked Pentax AF540FGZ on top of K1. in remote mode. Shanny off camera in Manual and slave modes S1 and S2 at full power. In S1 mode the Shanny flash does not sync. In S2 mode though the Shanny then becomes a very capable off camera manual flash with HSS. Though requiring quite an expensive trigger.. I'm no expert so i'll let you come to your own decisions...!!

All images taken at f4 Iso 200 using Sigma 105e. Pentax flash in remote pointed at Shanny flash. Shanny flash full power 4ft from subject on the 45
Image 1... Normal 2 sec exposure. No flash

Image 2... 1 /125 Pentax AF540 P-TTL bounced
Image 3... 1 /800 Pentax AF540 P-TTL bounced.
Image 4... 1 /125 Shanny Added.
Image 5... 1 /500 both flash units.
Image 6... 1 /4000th

Image 7... 1 /8000th.
Image 8... 1 /8000th Iso 800.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by stub; 11-30-2018 at 02:22 PM.
10-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Thanks Stuart, I think it's great that the Shanny has been proven to work as a Manual HSS Slave, using optical triggering. We also know of course that with Cactus V6IIs it is a good Radio P-TTL/HSS slave, thanks to Kobie's testing and videos. So it's a very versatile option.

Stuart is right that the optical trigger, in the form of an "HSS Wireless Control" flash is expensive. However for those who already have something such as a Pentax AF-540FGZ then the Shanny provides a budget option as a slave, with the proviso that you have the extra difficulties that come from not having remote power control.
10-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
Did the test you asked Pentax AF540FGZ on top of K1. in remote mode. Shanny off camera in Manual and slave modes S1 and S2 at full power. In S1 mode the Shanny flash does not sync. In S2 mode though the Shanny then becomes a very capable off camera manual flash with HSS. Though requiring quite an expensive trigger.. I'm no expert so i'll let you come to your own decisions...!!

All images taken at f4 Iso 200 using Sigma 105e. Pentax flash in remote pointed at Shanny flash. Shanny flash full power 4ft from subject on the 45
Image 1... Normal 2 sec exposure. No flash

Image 2... 1 /125 Pentax AF540 P-TTL bounced
Image 3... 1 /800 Pentax AF540 P-TTL bounced.
Image 4... 1 /125 Shanny Added.
Image 5... 1 /500 both flash units.
Image 6... 1 /4000th

Image 7... 1 /8000th.
Image 8... 1 /8000th Iso 800.
The tests you have made correspond to the method called "HiperSync / PowerSync", which is based on firing the slave flash at maximum power.
What is really important is to be able to fire the slave flash (in S2 and HSS activated) but at lower powers (for example: 1/128, 1/64, 1/32, 1/16 ...). If the images obtained do not have black stripes it means that the Shanny is capable of firing in HSS when working in MANUAL S2 mode.
In fact it is what I've gotten in my tests, with the difference that the flash that I installed in the camera shoe was an Metz 52 AF-1 instead of a Pentax AF540FGZ as you have done.
If you do this last test, I think that "mcgregni" will have all the tests I wanted.
10-03-2018, 01:13 PM   #67

Ah Im starting to understand... Though I agree with Nigel.. I wouldnt be using a very expensive control flash. I'd buy a very cheap manual trigger and a reasonably priced ND filter. Will look further tommorrow.

10-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you all

I just wanted to chime in and say thank you all for being inspired by my Cactus HSS tests/videos to continue testing the full capabilities of the Shanny Flash since I don't have another HSS flash to test with.
We now have another economically viable option when it comes to lighting. We would never have known without you continuing the tests. So thank you all again!
05-15-2021, 05:01 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Has anyone gotten the AF assist lamp to work with this flash on a K-1 or K-1 II ?

I can't get it to light up when pressing focus. I'm in AF.S mode. If I turn off the flash, the K-1 II's own AF assist lamp turns on when auto-focusing. But when the the flash is on the camera, neither the flash's AF assist lamp or the K-1's AF assist lamp light up.

Also, the "ready" LED on the back of my unit under the flash button seems to be always red. I have seen it green before, but not lately. What's the trick to making it green ?
The flash is in P-TTL mode.

If I remove the flash from the camera and put it in M mode as S1 or S2, the AF assist lamp does light up. Ready flash LED still red, though.
05-15-2021, 08:27 PM   #70
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Has anyone gotten the AF assist lamp to work with this flash on a K-1 or K-1 II ?
I am pretty sure that only works with the AFnnnFGZ II series flashes.

Steve
05-16-2021, 04:31 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am pretty sure that only works with the AFnnnFGZ II series flashes.

Steve
That's too bad. I can understand the flash AF assist lamp not coming up, but the body stopping its use of the green AF assist lamp is pretty bad.

Someone else claims to have gotten it to work on a Yongnuo after a firmware update.
AF assist lamp not turning on on K1 nor YONGNUO YN585 flash: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Seems Yongnuo has abandoned Pentax, though.
05-16-2021, 08:21 AM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
As others have mentioned, yes you need to be in P-TTL on the Shanny for HSS to work.

Here's the steps I use to lessen any issues when trying to use the Shanny is HSS.
When mounting the flash, make sure camera and flash are off, turn on the camera and half press shutter while you turn on the flash. Once the flash "ready light" is on let go of the half press.
It seems that the Shanny uses the Pentax GPS protocol for both the flash and camera to know there's communication.
If you have Astro Tracer built in, make sure that on the Shanny flash the little camera symbol on the bottom left of the display is there.
If you don't have Astro tracer built in, look at the GPS symbol on the camera and make sure it's steady (constant on) and not flickering.
If it's flickering, HSS won't fire at all.

It took me a while to figure all this out. I was on location, shooting and all of a sudden my Shanny just stopped firing above 180th sec.
I tried resetting it but it still didn't work. I then remembered Cactus and Pentax use a protocol of the half press to sync between camera and flash/trigger so tried it out.

It's been 4 days and I haven't had one misfire (Every time I mount the flash, I sync with the half press now).

Hope this helps!
good to know about the half pressing. Thanks. I will try that.
05-16-2021, 01:37 PM   #73
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Seems Yongnuo has abandoned Pentax, though.
??? The YN585EX is available through B&H...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1323077-REG/yongnuo_yn585ex_pentax_wi...981&

Steve
05-16-2021, 09:14 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
But if you look on Yong Nuo's web site, no mention of any Pentax compatible mode. Just Canon, Nikon and Sony.

Products | Yongnuo USA

There is a page about "universal compatible items", but still no mention of Pentax.

Universal Compatible Items (nikon, canon, fuji, olympus, sony* and more) | Yongnuo USA

The YN585EX appears to be a discontinued model - not mentioned anywhere on this site.

One Hong Kong site for Yong Nuo didn't mention Pentax either. But the site is down right now.

The Chinese site does mention the YN585EX.
YONGNUO Wireless Speedlite YN585EX for Pentax_??_??_Flash_Flash-Lens-LED Light-Flash Trigger-TTL Remote Cord-Wireless Shutter Release-Flash Equipment - YONGNUO photographic equipment Co., Ltd
05-16-2021, 09:29 PM   #75
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

But if you look on Yong Nuo's web site, no mention of any Pentax compatible mode.
Yongnuo Corporate Web site:

YONGNUO Wireless Speedlite YN585EX for Pentax_??_??_Flash_Flash-Lens-LED Light-Flash Trigger-TTL Remote Cord-Wireless Shutter Release-Flash Equipment - YONGNUO photographic equipment Co., Ltd

FWIW, their Web presence sucks and has for some time. The bulk of their sales is for non-TTL speedlights.

As for Yongnuo USA, there are many products, some of which I own, that have never been listed on their Web site.* Perhaps yongnuo.us...

https://yongnuo.us/product/electronics/camera-and-photo/yongnuo-yn585ex-wire...gital-cameras/

Added: Yongnuo HK: https://www.hkyongnuo.com/productinfo/332679.html

Steve

* Near as I can tell, Yongnuo, USA is a one-man operation.

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-16-2021 at 10:16 PM.