Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #1

How to work HSS with Shanny SN600FGZ?

Hello guys!

I've created this thread because I didn't want to hijack the other two dedicated to this speedlight, as my question is little and direct:

- Can the HSS feature in the Shanny SN600FGZ be used just by mounting the speedlight on the K-3II flash hot shoe and manually selecting a speed above 1/180?

Will this work or do I'd need to buy a trigger like the Cactus?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

06-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What does the Shanny manual say? If it supports HSS (it is supposed to), there will be a setting on the flash and it should work from the hot shoe. I don't believe remote HSS is supported by the Pentax flash protocol. (At least it isn't with my Sigma EF-610 DG Super.) I wrote this in error. Was thinking about 2nd-curtain flash.

Steve
06-14-2018, 11:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

From what I can read in the existing Shanny threads ... the flash must be set to P-TTL for HSS to function.

So sequence of operations may be: mount flash, turn camera on, turn flash on, on the flash set HS on (Sync button) and make sure you're in P-TTL mode, make settings to camera as desired, shoot.
06-15-2018, 07:38 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you Steve and rawr. I can't find the user manual for this flash, but it should work as you say: just as any other hot shoe flash. Thank you!

06-15-2018, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As others have mentioned, yes you need to be in P-TTL on the Shanny for HSS to work.

Here's the steps I use to lessen any issues when trying to use the Shanny is HSS.
When mounting the flash, make sure camera and flash are off, turn on the camera and half press shutter while you turn on the flash. Once the flash "ready light" is on let go of the half press.
It seems that the Shanny uses the Pentax GPS protocol for both the flash and camera to know there's communication.
If you have Astro Tracer built in, make sure that on the Shanny flash the little camera symbol on the bottom left of the display is there.
If you don't have Astro tracer built in, look at the GPS symbol on the camera and make sure it's steady (constant on) and not flickering.
If it's flickering, HSS won't fire at all.

It took me a while to figure all this out. I was on location, shooting and all of a sudden my Shanny just stopped firing above 180th sec.
I tried resetting it but it still didn't work. I then remembered Cactus and Pentax use a protocol of the half press to sync between camera and flash/trigger so tried it out.

It's been 4 days and I haven't had one misfire (Every time I mount the flash, I sync with the half press now).

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Kobie; 06-15-2018 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Fix grammer
06-15-2018, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
As others have mentioned, yes you need to be in P-TTL on the Shanny for HSS to work.

Here's the steps I use to lessen any issues when trying to use the Shanny is HSS.
When mounting the flash, make sure camera and flash are off, turn on the camera and half press shutter while you turn on the flash. Once the flash "ready light" is on let go of the half press.
It seems that the Shanny uses the Pentax GPS protocol for both the flash and camera to know there's communication.
If you have Astro Tracer built in, make sure that on the Shanny flash the little camera symbol on the bottom left of the display is there.
If you don't have Astro tracer built in, look at the GPS symbol on the camera and make sure it's steady (constant on) and not flickering.

It took me a while to figure all this out. I was on location, shooting and all of a sudden my Shanny just stopped firing above 180th sec.
I tried resetting it but it still didn't work. I then remembered Cactus and I Pentax use a protocol of the half press to sync between camera and flash/trigger so tried it out.

It's been 4 days and I haven't had one misfire (Every time I mount the flash, I sync with the half press now).

Hope this helps!
Wow, thank you so much Kobie for your detailed explanation and recommendations! nice!
06-15-2018, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

half press to sync between camera and flash/trigger
Good point. It's necessary - others eg Metz also recommend this as a trouble-shooting step - for example with the 52AF-1 flash:

QuoteQuote:
The P TTL flash mode cannot be set.
• Data transfer has not occurred between the flash unit and the
camera.
Actuate shutter release.

06-15-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
Wow, thank you so much Kobie for your detailed explanation and recommendations! nice!
No problem! I've had the Shanny now for a number of months and I notice that there isn't much user feedback/reviews/knowledge shared for our SN600FGZ's so figured I'd share my findings.
I also plan to do a youtube walkthrough/demo/review of it in stages (part 1, 2, 3 etc).
It's a great flash, the only problem I really have is ZERO communication/response from Shanny directly regarding any of my questions (both email and direct on their FB page).
06-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
Forum Member

Sorry to hijack, but has anyone found triggers that work with the shanny? I’ve tried two different ebay variants with no luck.
06-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, that is strange. What happens on cameras that don't support the O-GPS1 (e.g. Pentax K-x, K-r, and others), I wonder?

Steve
06-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Good point. It's necessary - others eg Metz also recommend this as a trouble-shooting step - for example with the 52AF-1 flash:
Wow, this thread in enlightening. Pentax-brand, Pentax-compatible Sigma, and compatible Metz for which I have manuals* don't include that step, though it may make sense if the flash has gone to "sleep" without confirming that a camera is present. All dedicated Pentax flash may require a "tap" on the shutter release to initiate or refresh the data link and/or flash ready status, but this is the first I have read of the need to half-press while powering on a flash. That being said, if Shanny requires it, then so be it!

Steve

* I have a small library of camera and flash manuals.
06-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

No problem! I've had the Shanny now for a number of months and I notice that there isn't much user feedback/reviews/knowledge shared for our SN600FGZ's so figured I'd share my findings.
I was unable to find a manual. Do you know where there is a download?

Steve
06-16-2018, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Do you know where there is a download?
Another thread posted it's availability in a Facebook link.

But you can also get it here. It's just a JPEG.

compatible Metz for which I have manuals* don't include that step
If so, you would have noted that my quote was directly from the Metz 52-AF1 manual (p-176).
06-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

But you can also get it here. It's just a JPEG.
Thanks! I hate it when a single crowded sheet is used to stand in for a manual with proper text.

If so, you would have noted that my quote was directly from the Metz 52-AF1 manual (p-176).

Yes, and my copy reads exactly as yours. I also had Google do the translation of the German section in case something was missing:
QuoteQuote:
There was no data exchange between the flash unit and the camera.
Press the camera shutter button.
I am sure that doing a half-press when starting the flash won't hurt anything, but I was not able to find those instructions in the manual.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-16-2018 at 09:17 PM.
06-17-2018, 05:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I hate it when a single crowded sheet is used to stand in for a manual with proper text.
Indeed. That sort of simple one page JPEG barely qualifies as a 'manual'. But it's all we've got. They don't do much better for their Nikon and Canon flashes either.