Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, that is strange. What happens on cameras that don't support the O-GPS1 (e.g. Pentax K-x, K-r, and others), I wonder?

Steve
That's a good question and my guess is that the Shanny wouldn't be reliable with those cameras. Pentax did change something with the flash protocols after K-x and K-r. No idea what they changed but I recall that some flashes would work with some cameras and not others do to this change,

06-18-2018, 08:43 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Pentax did change something with the flash protocols after K-x and K-r. No idea what they changed but I recall that some flashes would work with some cameras and not others do to this change,
I vaguely remember that. I don't know that Pentax changed protocols as much as the reverse-engineered emulations having a few of the details wrong to start with. That was particularly true for optical wireless where cross-brand capability was often very poor. Pentax did augment the protocol with the release of the current generation flash in late 2013, but did so without breaking compatibility overall to previous generation Pentax P-TTL models. My K-3, has native support for the AF360/540FGZ II but still fully supported the previous P-TTL flash models.

Steve
06-19-2018, 06:35 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No problem! I've had the Shanny now for a number of months and I notice that there isn't much user feedback/reviews/knowledge shared for our SN600FGZ's so figured I'd share my findings.
I also plan to do a youtube walkthrough/demo/review of it in stages (part 1, 2, 3 etc).
It's a great flash, the only problem I really have is ZERO communication/response from Shanny directly regarding any of my questions (both email and direct on their FB page).
Just put up my overview for those interested.
06-19-2018, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Thanks for doing this video. Very informative, very useful.

I hope Shanny pay some attention to your comments.

06-19-2018, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #20

Nice review of the Shanny, Kobie. The flash is currently selling for $108 US with free shipping from China on New Arrival Shanny SN600FGZ P TTL GN60 1/8000s Slave On Camera Flash speedlite for Pentax K100 K100D K200D K 7 K x K r K 5 K 01 -in Flashes from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The price is a 10% discount and is good for four days. Regular price is $120.
06-19-2018, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #21

Photos: Gallery
watched the video ok for beginners looking forward to part 2
06-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you all

Give me some time, I'll start putting the part 2 together soon. At least that's my plan.
Is there anything specific you'd like me to cover or demonstrate?

06-19-2018, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #23

Photos: Gallery
Just the in use. I think its a very underrated flash unit. People get hung up because we don't have cheap triggers. Its far more versatile than the Yongnuo YN560 and far cheaper than the AF540.
06-20-2018, 12:27 AM - 1 Like   #24

Original Poster
Pentax Shanny SN 600 FGZ Overview - YouTube
I found your video on Youtube this afternoon. Thank you very much for this!
For part II, seeing the Shanny in action would be enough... HSS of course
06-20-2018, 06:10 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
Just the in use. I think its a very underrated flash unit. People get hung up because we don't have cheap triggers. Its far more versatile than the Yongnuo YN560 and far cheaper than the AF540.
I agree.

---------- Post added 06-20-18 at 09:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
I found your video on Youtube this afternoon. Thank you very much for this!
For part II, seeing the Shanny in action would be enough... HSS of course
Noted and naturally HSS is in high order lol
06-20-2018, 11:57 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not the greatest results (regarding balanced background light to the flash).
I'll be spending more time on my next video to show proper balanced exposure in both normal P-TTL and HSS as well as manual and show from minimal power output to 1/1. Just to show how powerful the flash can be.
Now, one thi.... No, a couple of things to note for this video.
1) I only concentrated on exposure of the subject.
2) Don't ask me what the heck happened regarding shutter speed of 1/50 second (I did NOT touch the dial, and when flash was turned on, camera went right back to 1/1250th).
3) In the video you see me look a few times at the flash, I had the flash on earlier and removed it from the camera while still powered on (dumb I know) and when I put it back in the hot shoe (powered off) I was having an issue getting it to communicate so while shooting the video, I kept checking to make sure all was good. I wasn't changing any settings.

Well, now to the video...
06-21-2018, 12:37 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

A useful video.

Maybe the shooting scenario didn't really need HSS, but a handy demo of the capability.
06-21-2018, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Ha ha, the dog didn't do too bad, you should come around and try some HSS with my lot running around in the garden ...nightmare!

It's good to see those flash exposures looking ok, and there's plenty of power available by the look of it. I'd try to get the exposure time down to around 1/2000th and see if you can scrape more brightness out of the flash (try some plus flash compensations). I have found that 1/2000th is the sort of point where a hotshoe type flash starts to struggle. Always maintain a fixed ISO100 for this, and for all HSS work.

Generally I'd be doing these tests, (and actual HSS photography) in M camera mode ...a variable ISO is the last thing we want for HSS working, and you'll be able to keep a firm grip on your ambient exposure and create your desired balance between ambient and flash with this firm grip. Perhaps you could use the long view towards the trampoline with the sky to show the ambient exposure, and put a subject close to you on a table close to you (some flowers or something). This should allow a clear demonstration of the effects of independent exposure control over background and subject.
06-21-2018, 05:55 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Ha ha, the dog didn't do too bad, you should come around and try some HSS with my lot running around in the garden ...nightmare!

It's good to see those flash exposures looking ok, and there's plenty of power available by the look of it. I'd try to get the exposure time down to around 1/2000th and see if you can scrape more brightness out of the flash (try some plus flash compensations). I have found that 1/2000th is the sort of point where a hotshoe type flash starts to struggle. Always maintain a fixed ISO100 for this, and for all HSS work.

Generally I'd be doing these tests, (and actual HSS photography) in M camera mode ...a variable ISO is the last thing we want for HSS working, and you'll be able to keep a firm grip on your ambient exposure and create your desired balance between ambient and flash with this firm grip. Perhaps you could use the long view towards the trampoline with the sky to show the ambient exposure, and put a subject close to you on a table close to you (some flowers or something). This should allow a clear demonstration of the effects of independent exposure control over background and subject.
Very good idea. I will incorporate that for the next one. Thanks!
06-21-2018, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very good idea. I will incorporate that for the next one. Thanks!
As requested, here you go!