Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #1

Don't have money to burn

New guy,
I read both guides for Pentax and third party flashes, my eyes and my head hurt. I have a K-70 (love it), looking to buy the Pentax AF540GZ II or the Metz 51. which one will give me the best bang for my buck? Any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks

06-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the 540 and it’s a great flash, but I know nothing of the Metz. Have you looked at the AF360? A bit cheaper and has similar options.

The other question is, what is your intended use?
06-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Keep an eye out for bundles. I got my 540 for $50 when purchased with a new K-3.
06-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you considered manual flashes?
Light-wise they are the most bang for your bucks, if you don't need P-TTL and HSS.

06-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have the AF540FGZ II and I realy don't like it.

The flash does not has a memory function, so I have to set up everything after every startup. I don't like the locking function, it just makes harder to adjust quickly the flash direction. The HSS only works in P-TTL auto mode, and fooled easily by a little reflection (I think it's the P-TTL systems error with my KP). To use the flash in manual mode you also has to switch the camera in manual mode. There is no red AF assist light, only the video LED.
I get more consistent results from it, then my Metz 44 AF-1 produced. Altough that is a much cheaper and low end flash.

I use my pair of Yongnou YN660 (plus four YN560IV) much more. This is my two cents.
06-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Have you considered manual flashes?
Light-wise they are the most bang for your bucks, if you don't need P-TTL and HSS.
^^^ This.

I can honestly say I get five times the use from my inexpensive, generic manual flash units as I do from my Pentax and Metz P-TTL models. Purely automatic P-TTL operation is an easy habit to get into, and whilst it can be useful in certain circumstances, it really pays to get into manual flash. It's pretty straightforward once you learn the basics (there are plenty of resources online, and some excellent books on the subject).

If I was recommending a flash purchase to someone, I'd suggest getting one or two inexpensive manual units, plus an equally inexpensive radio trigger and receiver(s). Maybe add in a good book on flash photography, too. All of that will come to less than one good P-TTL unit.

That aside, if you're set on a P-TTL / HSS unit, I mostly use the Metz 52 AF-1 and I've been very happy with it. It's powerful, rugged and - once you get used to the unusual user interface - straightforward to operate
06-19-2018, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
*snip*
I'd suggest getting one or two inexpensive manual units, plus an equally inexpensive radio trigger and receiver(s).
*snip*

...or manual flashes with radio TX-RX functions.
I have two YN560, one mk.III (RX-only) and one mk.IV (TX-RX).

You could also look into the "new" YongnuoYN585EX, which is cheap and P-TTL (but, AFAIK, not HSS).

06-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
It all depends on what type of flash images you want to take and do you really need all the facilities each unit has to offer... Do you intend to use off camera ?

Personally I certainly wouldnt buy an AF540FGZ in the present market. With the Cactus RF60 being a similar equipped unit, triggers better and is less expensive,, The Shanny SN6000FGZ is a perfect unit on camera...
06-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...or manual flashes with radio TX-RX functions.
I have two YN560, one mk.III (RX-only) and one mk.IV (TX-RX).

You could also look into the "new" YongnuoYN585EX, which is cheap and P-TTL (but, AFAIK, not HSS).
Yep, that's a good route to go. More upmarket than my own kit, though

I bought 2 x Powerextra DF-400 flashes (same as the Neewer / Godox TT520) and a simple Kaavie radio trigger and 3 x receiver set (same as the Neewer / Wansen PT-16). The flashes and radio trigger/receivers are dumb, entirely manual and don't support P-TTL - but they work superbly and have been reliable through two years of relatively light but quite regular use. I forget the exact cost, but I believe everything came to around GBP £60 - £70 in total
06-19-2018, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Its interesting to read how differently people place values onto specific flash features, or working processes. The comparison above between the AF-540FGZII and the Cactus RF60 needs some qualification ..... the RF60(x) has certain power and performance similarities to the Pentax model, but whereas the AF-540FGZII might be considered the ideal 'rich mans' automatic flash for on-camera use, the Cactus simply cannot be used in the same way at all. It will only offer TTL automated flash exposures when controlled by the V6II transmitter with the specific firmware needed, and this means it is most suited to an off-camera role.

The Shanny comes over as the ideal 'poor mans' on camera automatic choice, for those needing HSS also, while the Yongnuo could be chosen by those who don't, or also by those who already have a P-TTL unit to act as on-camera wireless Master/Controller, with the Yongnuo as slave. The Metz choices seem to fall in the middle of these extremes.

I personally am wary of advising someone starting out and wishing to use on-camera flash (bouncing indoors) or direct front on fill outdoors (maybe with HSS) to choose a Manual Mode only flash. I do think the practical benefits of automatic flash exposures, freeing the photographer to concentrate on ambient / flash exposure balancing, white balance matters and other creative aspects, is well worth the extra expense. There's still plenty learn about in order to achieve good and consistent results with P-TTL.
06-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 3 Pentax AF360FGZ flashes and one Yongnuo 585EX. The only thing that the Yonguo does not have is the HSS capability. The Yongnuo does have Pentax TTL (P-TTL) and it does a great job. The AF360FGZs are also nice performers. Below is a link to the Yongnuo 585EX at B and H.

Yongnuo YN585EX Speedlite for Pentax Cameras YN585EX/PENTAX B&H
06-19-2018, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Its interesting to read how differently people place values onto specific flash features, or working processes...
I personally am wary of advising someone starting out and wishing to use on-camera flash (bouncing indoors) or direct front on fill outdoors (maybe with HSS) to choose a Manual Mode only flash. I do think the practical benefits of automatic flash exposures, freeing the photographer to concentrate on ambient / flash exposure balancing, white balance matters and other creative aspects, is well worth the extra expense. There's still plenty learn about in order to achieve good and consistent results with P-TTL.
I should make clear that I'm not belittling the use of P-TTL (and HSS-capable) units, nor the control that's available with them, even one bit. There are situations where they're not just useful, but essential (for example, I doubt many press or wedding photographers use manual flash for candid / on-the-fly photography ).

But I also read posts from those who buy a P-TTL flash and never do a great deal more with it other than pointing it at the subject, or a ceiling or wall, and letting the metering take care of the flash power. That's fine, in its limited way, but it's rather like using Auto mode on the camera instead of digging into Manual or semi-manual modes.

Of course, most of the P-TTL units (all but the most basic models) have a range of adjustments and, in most cases, full manual control, so they cover all modes of operation. But for those on a shoestring budget, I think low-cost manual flashes are worth exploring, and the fact that they make you learn the basics is a positive thing
06-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #13

Original Poster
Wow thanks everyone for the input. Right now shooting the family candids and some stuff at my church. I have the youngno 585. Was looking for ttl and HSS. Everyone is probably right, I need to spend more time leaning how to used what I have first. So back to the books and shoot more to learn more.
06-19-2018, 11:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LarryGE Quote
New guy,
I read both guides for Pentax and third party flashes, my eyes and my head hurt. I have a K-70 (love it), looking to buy the Pentax AF540GZ II or the Metz 51. which one will give me the best bang for my buck? :
The main differences between the Pentax540GZII and the Metz 52:

Pentax pros:
Weather sealed
Slightly more powerful

Metz pros:
Faster recycle time
Less expensive

Best bang for the buck if used indoors is the Metz.
06-20-2018, 02:44 AM   #15
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
did you mention the Cactus V6II Trigger with the Cactus RF-60 X? P-TTL and HSS