Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2018, 03:28 AM   #16

" did you mention the Cactus V6II Trigger with the Cactus RF-60 X? P-TTL and HSS "

This would be my recommendation !!

06-20-2018, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The main advantage of the 540 II is the weather resistance. To a lesser extent the video LED.

I prefer the interface of the Metz 52 AF-1 (I'm guessing you are referring to that one). It's cheaper, more compact, and easier to operate. I suggest you read this review, where I compare the 540 I with the Metz. You'll see what I mean

Metz 52 AF-1 Flash Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
06-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Being there; suffering that. If you don't mind to work with used equipment, try KEH for earlier Pentax, Metz and other makers flash units. Before committing to buy, try downloading the manuals for the units you select to get and idea of how they'll work with your camera.
06-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I have the AF360FGZ. It is a pretty good unit and works well with my Pentax bodies. The dead doesn't swivel for bouncing when holding camera vertically but I can work around that.

The worst feature is the lack of memory for settings. The thing powers itself off after a few minutes of non-use to conserve the batteries. That is a good idea, except that upon powering up again you find yourself in PTTL mode, no matter what you had set up before. This is a real drag when you use it on a non-Pentax camera and you have to dial in everything from scratch.

07-02-2018, 08:59 AM   #20

Original Poster
One other thing. How about LED lights? Would they work ?
07-03-2018, 04:54 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LarryGE Quote
The colour temperature is not the same, the output power is not as high, the light spectrum is not as broad (and the filters on the sensor sometimes have trouble coping with that, leading to inaccurate colours), so it's hit and miss. LED lights can serve but do not replace a strobe.
07-03-2018, 05:03 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very, very weak, any that you'd be looking at.

07-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Very, very weak, any that you'd be looking at.
Looking at the Flashpoint budget studio monolight flash, 120 watt seconds. open for ideas. I want to to stay light and portable.

07-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #24
Veteran Member

For what specifically? ..... That's really the crucial bit you missed out.
07-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking at the Flashpoint budget studio monolight flash, 120 watt seconds. open for ideas. I want to to stay light and portable.

?

This is mains powered and sits on a stand, not your camera.

For a studio.

07-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Have you considered manual flashes?
Light-wise they are the most bang for your bucks, if you don't need P-TTL and HSS.
P-TTL has never worked that well for me. Sometimes I use an "automatic" flash {flash measures light instead of having camera do it} dating back to 1987-1995, when I used my Super Program to photograph my infant daughters, and sometimes I use my Canon flash in purely manual mode. Honestly, though, I don't use flash very often .... in most cases natural light works better for me.
07-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
P-TTL has never worked that well for me. Sometimes I use an "automatic" flash {flash measures light instead of having camera do it} dating back to 1987-1995, when I used my Super Program to photograph my infant daughters, and sometimes I use my Canon flash in purely manual mode. Honestly, though, I don't use flash very often .... in most cases natural light works better for me.
P-TTL is great for when you're shooting "situations", rather than taking time to get the lighting just right. You still have to put some thought into it, and make flash / EV adjustments if you've time to do so, but it can produce fairly reliable results in situations where a manual flash would simply be impractical. But I far, far prefer using my cheap, all-manual flash units when the situation allows

Of course, most P-TTL flashes (except for the very base models) allow full manual control too, so if funds allow it's worth having one or more of these...
07-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
P-TTL is great for when you're shooting "situations", rather than taking time to get the lighting just right. You still have to put some thought into it, and make flash / EV adjustments if you've time to do so, but it can produce fairly reliable results in situations where a manual flash would simply be impractical. But I far, far prefer using my cheap, all-manual flash units when the situation allows

Of course, most P-TTL flashes (except for the very base models) allow full manual control too, so if funds allow it's worth having one or more of these...
These days, I use flash most often for situations around home, and for those I bounce the flash off the {white} ceiling and light up the whole room. The only "trick" here is figuring out what settings are needed, but once I figure that out, I can use the same settings almost any time.
07-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
P-TTL has never worked that well for me. Sometimes I use an "automatic" flash {flash measures light instead of having camera do it} dating back to 1987-1995,
Just as in Manual mode you tweak the power level so you get the contribution to the scene right, you do the same with the Flash Exposure Compensation dial. It's pretty easy.

07-03-2018, 07:20 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Just as in Manual mode you tweak the power level so you get the contribution to the scene right, you do the same with the Flash Exposure Compensation dial. It's pretty easy.
But, for me at least it takes some test shots.