Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I must also add that I've also gotten great results from the AF280T (with settings similar to what I mentioned and j0n4hpk explained in more detail) with a flash extension cord. I'll hold the camera to my eye with just one hand and the Flash with another hand, facing the subject from an angle. Not only does the thyristor get the right exposure, the light coming at an angle makes it look very natural. And people asked me if I'm a pro when seeing me do that My extension cord is an old one so it obviously does not support P-TTL.

06-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use manual because I rarely like what the camera chooses. I generally choose 1/180 but the aperture varies with the situation.
06-26-2018, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #18
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Interesting. Do you explicitly set the shutter or aperture in P, or just rely on the program line? Do you fix the ISO or leave it on auto?
Auto ISO, the parameters will depend on conditions (e.g 100-800 or 100-3200...). And program line to mtf, I’ll adjust aperture if I feel the need to change the DOF.
06-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If I'm running HSS I'll use P-TTL but the camera is always in Manual. I want control of both ambient light and flash exposure.
If I want a night scene look during the day, I'll clamp down the aperture, shutter and ISO.
If I want to balance the ambient with the flash exposure, I'll adjust the aperture, shutter and ISO.
When shooting events, I'll leave the flash on Manual as well as the camera.
Hmm, I guess I shoot manual lol

06-30-2018, 09:48 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Which shooting mode do you use with P-TTL flash? I normally use TAv on my K1 when not shooting with flash, but that mode tends to unnecessarily select a high ISO if I have flash attached in low light. Consequently, I usually use M mode with 1/200 sec exposure (sync speed), whichever aperture is suitable for the shot, and ISO 100 if I can get away with it (if the flash illumination is sufficient). I therefore rely on the flash unit to get the exposure right. I would be interested in hearing what others find most convenient. (I am not talking about HSS here, which is different.)
About the only time I use flash is in the studio. I use real studio lights, not speedlights, so I use manual exposure.
06-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends on my intent. With the on-board flash for the K-3, whatever mode the camera is in (usually Av). With the Sigma EF 610 DG Super, I usually want more control, so M mode.

Steve