Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2018, 11:10 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Achieving the most Uniform Lighting with just a few Light Bulbs

From time to time, questions are asked here about the best set up for photographing art works or copying documents.

Answers generally discuss lighting, color balance, etc. Getting most of this right is a matter of technique (using the right white balance, getting the object square in the frame, maybe needing polarizers, ...).

However, for the best results, you also should have uniform (“flat”) lighting. How do you get that?

Conventional wisdom tends to be something on the order of: put your lights (what ever they are!) at 45 degree angles on either side of your piece, and that bigger/more diffuse lights are better.

Well, 45 degrees may not be the optimum angle, and you can achieve remarkably flat lighting with just a few plain old light bulbs.

How? Well, let me tell you.

I have created a spread sheet that allows me to place up to 4 light bulbs at arbitrary (x,y,z) positions and calculate the resultant light pattern in the (y,z) plane (i.e. parallel to the plane of the light bulb arrangement which is at a distance of x from the area of interest). The bulbs are assumed to be “isotropic radiators” - they radiate the same amount of light in ALL directions. This is probably not too far from reality for ordinary light bulbs (LEDs, CFLs, incandescents) for the hemisphere surrounding the top of the bulb, which is all that counts. This will not be the case for floodlights or other directional lights. I also assume that all the bulbs have the same brightness.

A square arrangement of the bulbs, at the proper distance, creates an exceedingly uniform light distribution over an area that is half as big as the size of the square of bulbs. The magic distance is a factor of 0.695 the size of the square out from the plane of the light bulbs.

In other words, if you have bulbs at the corners of a square that is 2 meters on each side, the uniform plane of illumination is the central square meter area that is 1.39 meters ( = 2 times 0.695) out in front of the bulbs (where the tops of the bulbs are assumed to point out from the corners of the square). (Strictly speaking, all measurements should be with respect to the center of the bulb’s light producing region.)

Over this area, assuming my ideal light bulbs, the light is uniform with a maximum deviation of less than +/- 0.2% . That is less than 0.003 f-stop!! This is probably way better than whatever flat field calibration is built in to your camera.

The angle of the bulbs with respect to the center of the uniform area is actually quite close to 45 degrees in this case, but see below for the 2-bulb case.

If you have bigger pieces to photograph, you can still get very good flatness over an area as big as your square of bulbs. You have to move the light array a bit closer: best uniformity is achieved with the distance of the bulbs about a factor of 0.61 the size of the square from the plane of interest (1.22 meters for our 2 meter square of bulbs). In this case, the uniformity of lighting is within +/- 3% (less than +/- 0.05 f-stop) over the entire 2 meter square area.

I can readily calculate the flatness of illumination across the center of other rectangular arrangements of the bulbs, such as might be relevant for non-square art work or documents. In the picture is a shot of a set up for the case where the bulbs are one meter apart across the area of interest, but are only 0.8 meters apart top-to-bottom. In this case, the center half rectangle of best illumination is 0.5 by 0.4 meters in size, and the bulbs are optimally a factor of 0.705 of the total width out from the plane of interest.

If you have only two bulbs, where should they go?

The best you can do is to get a strip of almost uniform illumination (which will be parallel to the line between the bulbs). Not surprisingly, above or below this line, the light falls off. If, once again, the (now 2) bulbs are two meters apart, the center one meter strip will be most uniformly lit when the bulbs are a factor of about 0.83 of total separation out from the line (1.66 meters for bulbs separated by 2 meters). In this case, the uniformity is better than 0.1% along the entire one meter line length. If you want to think angles instead, each bulb should be at an angle of about 31 degrees with respect to the normal (the line out from the center) of the line of interest. This is far from the canonical 45 degrees!

My spreadsheet is in QuattroPro (I’m rather anti-Microsoft for word processing and spreadsheet, similar to the antipathy by some here to Adobe products), and I would be glad to provide it to any interested users. (I’ll have to provide a bit more internal documentation!!)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-21-2018, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Excellent work! A spreadsheet is a great way to calculate the 1/d^2 light loss from the light array.

A few comments:

Specular reflections: The conventional wisdom of the 45° angle is a crude attempt to avoid specular reflections from art that has shiny surfaces (acrylic, oil, or anything under glass). If you replace the subject with a mirror, it's essential that the light sources not be visible in the reflection. The angle of the light from each bulb to the nearest corner (not the center) of the subject matter must be somewhat larger than the half-angle of the lens on the camera. For a 50 mm lens, the half-angle is 23° and the center angle is likely to be twice that. You could add some calculations to your spreadsheet to check whether a subject of a given size, photographed with a lens of a given focal length would have trouble with the specified light array. For rough shiny surfaces (e.g., the impasto style of painting with thick blobs of paint) needs a wider lighting angle to prevent little hot spots. Specular reflections can also be eliminated with crossed polarizers: putting a polarizing filter on each light source and a polarizer on the lens turned to block all directly reflected light.

Vignetting: In some cases it might be better to increase the non-uniformity of the lighting by bringing the four corner lights closer to the subject and over-illuminating the corners to correct for vignetting by the lens. If the lens is half a stop dimmer in the corners, the lighting should be half a stop brighter in the corners to improve the final flatness of exposure on the final image.

Using Pentax EXIF meter data: On the K-1 (and probably some of the other later models), you can easily check uniformity of the lens+lighting by looking at the EXIF data of a image of a blank surface. The K-1 EXIF includes an array of 4050 light level values (it's RGB with 30 rows and 45 columns each). Those numbers could even be loaded into your spreadsheet for tuning the light array to best correct for vignetting.
06-21-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Great analysis. You've certainly worked hard to get your lighting right. I trust that your setup is for more than just illuminating some trinkets for sale on eBay.

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
QuattroPro
Wow. I feel 20 years younger just hearing that product name again ...
06-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is very interesting and useful.
I happen to have similar necessities from time to time... I often need to send other people orchestral or string quartet parts complete with bowings and fingerings, and they often print them straight away, so quality is a concern.

(they have their original, so it's not about copyright infringement, rather having a working copy one can wirte on and still have the original intact)

06-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Great analysis. You've certainly worked hard to get your lighting right. I trust that your setup is for more than just illuminating some trinkets for sale on eBay.

Wow. I feel 20 years younger just hearing that product name again ...
I have to admit, this goes mostly for eBay trinkets - although I will soon be shooting a spectrum analyzer that should go for more than a few bucks. I do also shoot art work from time to time (that was the last job I got paid for! and was the initial impetus to start these calculations).

QuattroPro: my calculations here are in QP for Windows, but when I really want to go fast and dirty, I use QP for DOS (as well as WordPerfect for DOS). Speedwise (and with my old IBM PC/AT keyboard with the function keys on the left (where they belong, IMHO)), they can't be beat, especially on my old XP computer. In Windows 10, I have to use DOS Box, which is slow and quirky as to interpreting function keys.

Geez - I sound like an old codger. Maybe I should go back to my Pentax ME and ditch all this new-fangled digital stuff.
07-17-2018, 04:26 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Thanks!