Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #1

My DIY flash Bouncer

DIY Flash Bouncer gallery/description

Last edited by tcdk; 09-13-2008 at 09:59 AM.
09-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That is very professional looking. It looks to be made out of foamie material? If so then you might like to make another one without the black layer. I find that reversing a like DIY bouncer on the flash and shooting the light into the white foamie material, works really well for close focus photos. The foamie glows and provides a very nice illumination.

Thank you
Russell
09-13-2008, 07:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
That is very professional looking. It looks to be made out of foamie material? If so then you might like to make another one without the black layer. I find that reversing a like DIY bouncer on the flash and shooting the light into the white foamie material, works really well for close focus photos. The foamie glows and provides a very nice illumination.
Thanks!

You mean totally cover the flash head and only using the light that shines through the foam? Kind of like a sto-fen bouncer?

I was actually thinking about making a smaller one, with just white. I guess if I added a small extra piece of velcro to the inside-top i could wrap it over the head like that...
09-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tcdk Quote
Thanks!

You mean totally cover the flash head and only using the light that shines through the foam? Kind of like a sto-fen bouncer?
No, same design as you have minus the black layer. Just mount the bouncer on the front of the flash head with the cup pointing backwards and the flash head at 45 degrees.

Thank you
Russell

09-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It looks to me like the flash output goes upwards out to the scoop, and not into the foamie material that is facing the viewer. I think that is just a loop that goes around the flash head.

Nice design! I was actually thinking of stealing my wifes Joanns coupons and getting some of that stuff to make some bouncers myself. I was going to put velcro onthe flash and the foamie for attachment. Is this too strong for the foamie? I may have to just use a rubber band if so.
09-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
No, same design as you have minus the black layer. Just mount the bouncer on the front of the flash head with the cup pointing backwards and the flash head at 45 degrees.
Ah. I get it. Thanks.
09-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sabarrett Quote
Nice design! I was actually thinking of stealing my wifes Joanns coupons and getting some of that stuff to make some bouncers myself. I was going to put velcro onthe flash and the foamie for attachment. Is this too strong for the foamie? I may have to just use a rubber band if so.
I think both solutions could work.

I didn't want to attach anything to my flash and I wanted it to be a single unit (and I think the rubber band would look cheap).

The velcro doesn't seem to have a problem staying on the foam. I think I may have to be a bit careful, but only time will tell how durable the velcro(glue)/foam combination really is...

The good thing about my design, is that the long slip of foam that goes around the flash can be stretched just a bit before the two velcro bits a "locked", making it hold the bouncer. I did try waving the flash around quite forcefully without it falling of.

09-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The velcro doesn't seem to have a problem staying on the foam. I think I may have to be a bit careful, but only time will tell how durable the velcro(glue)/foam combination really is...
I haven't had any issue with the Velcro. Since I only used a single white layer I have to be careful of tearing the folds. With a single white layer white Velcro is probably the better material to use. I used what I had in the junk drawer, which was black.

The good thing about my design, is that the long slip of foam that goes around the flash can be stretched just a bit before the two velcro bits a "locked", making it hold the bouncer. I did try waving the flash around quite forcefully without it falling off.
From my experience, it will stay in place without attaching Velcro to the flash head or using a rubberband. The band around the flash head also works well with multiple sized flash heads if you cut it for your largest head. Just add a little more Velcro for the smaller head to the band in the appropriate place.

Thank you
Russell
09-13-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice work, looks very well assembled. Did you use Chuck Gardner's design as your start point?

DIY Reflector-Diffuser
09-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Nice work, looks very well assembled. Did you use Chuck Gardner's design as your start point?

DIY Reflector-Diffuser
Yes.

I actually wrote that in the text I linked to in the first article. Except I had put the pictures in a gallery that only I've access to.

Fixed and the new link is : DIY Flash Bouncer
09-14-2008, 08:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice job! I have one of those and it works like a charm whether I use it for fill outdoors or as the main source of light indoors. A very efficient way to spread and soften your lighting.
09-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But is it art?

Just poking fun at someone.

Would you say that this creature is any more or less effective than a single piece of white polyethylene which is flaired out at the top and could also be held to the flash by velcro? And would your foamy flash bounce take up more or less space than something that has the rough dimensions of 4" by 5 1/2" and the thickness of a library card?

I suppose that your bouncer would not allow much light to be reflected to the parts of a room, when inside, such as ceiling or wall in the way a simple white plastic deflector some of us use would still direct it's light. So does this make a difference? Does one produce a softer, more attractive light compared with the other? Did you put velcro in places so that you can unfold it and it up or lay if flat in a bag or something?
I'm just extending the discussions; not picking it apart. It looks great and I am sure some of us are inspired to work with our own ideas as well.
09-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Did you put velcro in places so that you can unfold it and it up or lay if flat in a bag or something?
Lots of questions there - I can't answer them, I simply do not have the experience with using bouncers. I did a wedding last week-end, and I went away with the feeling that a good bounce would have give me a lot more usable night photos (the ceiling was about 4 meters up and and didn't bounce enough light). So I made this.

The top part is unfoldable and totally adjustable with the velcro....

But if some of the people where, who've been using this for a while, would share their experiences I would appreciate it...
09-26-2008, 07:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok I played around and constructed a flash bounce very similar to yours as well and I would like to post my very unscientific and perhaps practical results in your thread.
Using the 360 FGZ:

Undiffused, ceiling bounce with deflector (but admittedly the ceiling was only 5 feet over head)

Using diffuser of the flash pointed right at subject

Using the do it yourself diffuser

Maybe I should have chosen a subject that sits a little more motionless but at least you can judge the shadows of the chair and the light reflection on the wall.
I am sure many of you have seen examples such as these before but I hope this helps someone.
02-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm going to "bounce" this one to the top again, what an excellent idea.

I have an assignment to take some shots of some art workers at a state park, but in turn of the century buildings. The problem is that low ceilings for bounce flashes are just not there.

So this sort of low bounce flash, perhaps using a remote flash and one on the camera would do the trick.

The big problem i had today is that the local Walmart and Joann chains didn't have "fun foam" and didn't know what it was. I later found the term "craft foam" and hope to have more luck finding that tomorrow. Searching on the internet, it turns that craft foam comes in a variety of thicknesses from 2mm to 8mm.

I have another idea on how to modify these flash bouncers and will provide details if it works. Anyone know why a hot glue gun wouldn't work, seems like it would speed things up.

A great subject and the price is right.