Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2018, 08:08 AM   #1

So, what about combo K-1 AF201FG?

I would love to see and read about any results on using the AF201FG flash in combination with Pentax K-1/ DFA15-30 lens.
Or should i just leave it an go for the big guns?

07-27-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That little flash doesn't have a flash head zoom function, so I would be checking out it's angle of coverage, as that might be a concern on FF at very wide angles ......however most flash shots are of things that are mainly centred in the frame, so it would only be a limitation in a small number of scenarios.

Most people buy that flash because it tilts up to bounce, therefore angle of coverage is not a question really in that sort of configuration. It's the size and convenience that is the main draw ..... For bounce you will always have potential for better quality light' with a flash that tilts and swivels around (for sideways bounce with a flag). You have more options for diffusers also with a conventional flash design.

The AF360/540FGZII models are very compact for what they offer. But if ultimate compactness is the priority then the little one is a viable choice.
07-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have that flash and use and like it a lot both on the KP and K1, but it's not that powerful and it is limited in that it does not swivel. Furthermore I always found that bigger is better with flash. What are you planning to shoot with that combo? If its interior spaces you may be better served with a more powerful flash unit.
07-28-2018, 03:51 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
I have that flash and use and like it a lot both on the KP and K1, but it's not that powerful and it is limited in that it does not swivel. Furthermore I always found that bigger is better with flash. What are you planning to shoot with that combo? If its interior spaces you may be better served with a more powerful flash unit.
@Bill: I'm planning to use it for fill-in during (sports) events triathlon, smaller festivals eg. Size matters, so the size suits me just fine.

07-28-2018, 04:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm afraid I suspect that the AF201 is not a good choice for outdoor events, sports, or portraits in bright light ..... But I would be pleased if actual users of the flash were able to show that I am wrong.
07-28-2018, 06:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JackvanS Quote
@Bill: I'm planning to use it for fill-in during (sports) events triathlon, smaller festivals eg. Size matters, so the size suits me just fine.
I bought it for the size as well, as I think it makes for a good travel flash. We're out and about today, so I'll give it a try as fill in with the 20-40 on the KP. The forecast is partly cloudy so I can't make any promises though.
07-29-2018, 05:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I bought it for the size as well, as I think it makes for a good travel flash. We're out and about today, so I'll give it a try as fill in with the 20-40 on the KP. The forecast is partly cloudy so I can't make any promises though.
Well I really did not get much of a chance to use the flash as fill in. Here's one shot but It's really not fill in.

07-29-2018, 10:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well I really did not get much of a chance to use the flash as fill in. Here's one shot but It's really not fill in.

Thanks Bill for sharing. What a nice family shot. I'll be using it when up close to athletes at about 6-9 feet, for example inside corner when cyclists pass. I'll give it a go in the coming weeks.
07-29-2018, 11:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
That little flash doesn't have a flash head zoom function, so I would be checking out it's angle of coverage, as that might be a concern on FF at very wide angles ......however most flash shots are of things that are mainly centred in the frame, so it would only be a limitation in a small number of scenarios.

Most people buy that flash because it tilts up to bounce, therefore angle of coverage is not a question really in that sort of configuration. It's the size and convenience that is the main draw ..... For bounce you will always have potential for better quality light' with a flash that tilts and swivels around (for sideways bounce with a flag). You have more options for diffusers also with a conventional flash design.

The AF360/540FGZII models are very compact for what they offer. But if ultimate compactness is the priority then the little one is a viable choice.
dear jack,
what i have quote below is suitable opinion for your question becaused having small flash without swivel compability is sometimes not very comfortable also please pay attention for the flash GN number , its help you a lot in low light situation
07-30-2018, 04:08 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I'm afraid I suspect that the AF201 is not a good choice for outdoor events, sports, or portraits in bright light ..... But I would be pleased if actual users of the flash were able to show that I am wrong.
Thanks mcgregni. I hoped to see some shots here myself but i guess there ar not many that use the little one on the big one. Although i agree it'll not be the perfect match, i still like to see some results with it.