Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2018, 10:43 AM   #1

K-3 and YN6585EX

How do I get this set up to work wirelessly???

07-27-2018, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
YN685EX Woreless triggering

QuoteOriginally posted by DawnHoweth Quote
How do I get this set up to work wirelessly???
Hi Dawn,
I am going to cheat and link you to the answers on the B&H website ;-)

Here is the main page for the flash unit
Yongnuo YN585EX Speedlite for Pentax Cameras YN585EX/PENTAX B&H

Perhaps take a look at adding this wireless trigger set
Vello FreeWave LR Wireless Flash Trigger and Receiver Kit RFW-LR
07-27-2018, 11:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
Already have the flash

I think that I've found the answer.
The Pop up flash has to be up to "trigger" the off -camera flash.
Do I need to order the remote?
07-27-2018, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #4
Brooke Meyer

Skip the pop-up, iffy at best. Just get these and put the flash in manual mode. The only way to get consistent results, the way you want, is manual mode. If you add YN lights with receivers built -in ( 560III, IV, etc) you're all set.

07-27-2018, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #5

I think that I've found the answer.
The Pop up flash has to be up to "trigger" the off -camera flash.
Do I need to order the remote?
Hi Dawn, The method you suggest will work. I use that technique by lowering the power on the pop up flash as low as it will go. Note that you will still have some output to deal with in your images which may be unwanted (glare in glasses etc).

As Brooke mentioned, it is more effective to use the triggers, that way you have complete control of where the light is coming from. You can get Yongnuo flash triggers for very reasonable prices (YN 603 $25 USD as per the link in Brooke's message) and they don't take up much room in your camera bag. Once you have one flash synched wirelessly, any additional flash units can be triggered by the light from that flash.
07-28-2018, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by R. Wethereyet Quote
Hi Dawn, The method you suggest will work. I use that technique by lowering the power on the pop up flash as low as it will go. Note that you will still have some output to deal with in your images which may be unwanted (glare in glasses etc).

As Brooke mentioned, it is more effective to use the triggers, that way you have complete control of where the light is coming from. You can get Yongnuo flash triggers for very reasonable prices (YN 603 $25 USD as per the link in Brooke's message) and they don't take up much room in your camera bag. Once you have one flash synched wirelessly, any additional flash units can be triggered by the light from that flash.
Awesome!! I'd love to chat a little more about using them! This is my first real experiment with flash and I'm way out of my comfort zone~!
07-28-2018, 07:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Skip the pop-up, iffy at best. Just get these and put the flash in manual mode. The only way to get consistent results, the way you want, is manual mode. If you add YN lights with receivers built -in ( 560III, IV, etc) you're all set.
So I purchased the 585ex on the advice of a B H expert. Should I send it back and get the transmitters and the 603?
07-28-2018, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #8

So the main advantage of the Pentax wireless flash is that it can do TTL, which for people new to flash, can make things easier. Yes, the pop up flash (or some other master/control flash on the hotshoe) needs to be up to trigger the remote flash and even in controller mode, the pop up flash will have some contribution. You can try putting an IR filter over the pop-up flash, either DIY or purchase a Nikon SG-3IR pop up flash panel.

If you are fine with manual flash control, then cheap radio triggers with compatible manual flashes are probably a suitable solution. Some of the fancier ones do allow for remote control of power levels so you don't need to run back and forth. And there are 1 or 2 triggers that support Pentax P-TTL flash control.

07-28-2018, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #9
Brooke Meyer

So I purchased the 585ex on the advice of a B H expert. Should I send it back and get the transmitters and the 603?
So keep the 585EX for on camera P-TTL, handy for events and especially if you add this for less than a dollar Black Foamie Thing. Its also an excellent free site to learn about flash

Buy a pair of 603's to use the 585EX off camera. You'll have a spare. Then add 560III's with built in receivers you learn about off camera flash. Just one will give you a backup flash that you could use in manual on camera.

All this stuff is cheap but they work very well. For off camera use, add the 560 TX and easy remote control of power and zoom for up to six different groups. My head shot sessions go faster and easier.

Sometimes I use a pair at 1/4 power for fast recycle in my main or key light, one a t 1/4 power for fill, one for a rim or hair light and maybe one on the background. I also use them to supplement my mono lights. The 603 lets me piggyback my Paul C Biff trigger.

My five YN560III's, 603NII triggers, YN 560 TX Trigger/Controller, 5 sets or Eneloop Pro batteries and Maha Smart 8 Cell Charger and a Tiffen ND Filter Kit for f2.8 outdoors in bright sun (instead for HSS) is still less than a Pentax 540 II.

If you use the YN560III's heavily, the plastic battery doors wear and won't stay closed. The replacement part is $8, slip the old one off, slide the new one and done. Gaffer tape works too. Add some convertible umbrellas, couple of light stands and maybe a grid and you're all set
07-28-2018, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #10

Awesome!! I'd love to chat a little more about using them! This is my first real experiment with flash and I'm way out of my comfort zone~!
Here are a couple of videos from B&H Event Space YouTube channel to add some Flash use knowledge

Flash for Beginners:

Controlling the light:

Have Fun!

Dave