Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2018, 01:13 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great shame - was looking forward to getting one... Maybe alternative funding will be found, seeing that so much work has (supposedly) already been done. I've not seen the Godox AD200 or Cactus RQ250 in the 'flesh', but the Cactus looked to be a much better built and designed device.

09-06-2018, 06:03 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Ah well... looks like some of my Cactus gear will go up for sale in the near future. Godox (AD200!) here I come!
There's a lot to be said for getting fully to grips with what you already have before trying to start again with a whole new system ....

For many of us, an RQ250 type light may have been over kill. I find for the times when I need a real power punch (out doors, bright sun, HSS) I get plenty by operating both my RF60s in tandem on a double adaptor on the one umbrella. Twice the power, half the recycling ....

Of course I lose one flash to use as fill, but they're not expensive.

The RQ250 looked very desirable, but many of us have to make do with, and work to get the most ot of, what we've got.

Last edited by mcgregni; 09-06-2018 at 06:15 AM.
09-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
There's a lot to be said for getting fully to grips with what you already have before trying to start again with a whole new system ....

For many of us, an RQ250 type light may have been over kill. I find for the times when I need a real power punch (out doors, bright sun, HSS) I get plenty by operating both my RF60s in tandem on a double adaptor on the one umbrella. Twice the power, half the recycling ....

Of course I lose one flash to use as fill, but they're not expensive.

The RQ250 looked very desirable, but many of us have to make do with, and work to get the most ot of, what we've got.
I feel pretty much to grips with what I have now, it's just I'm limited with further testing due to lack of either a) more flashes or b) stronger more powerful flashes.

Example;

I believe I shot that with the flash full power and the flash was situated just to the left of them. I even removed all diffusers such as the Magmod Sphere to get more light onto them, but really it was just lacking in oomph for that scene.

Now if I had an AD200 I could have that flash further away, or if I had a second or third RF60x I could assist with generating more power from that same spot or start to mess around with rim light or assist in more fill from another angle.

So here's where I'm at now... do I invest fully into the Cactus system and purchase more RF60x's... or do I (whilst still under warranty, and even still have left on the sticky screen protector labels that came with the Cactus units) sell on and cut my losses short and make my way towards Godox.

I'm a huge fan of the magmod system, lots of wedding shooters use them exclusively and get darn good results, minimum setting up times, able to work alone and solo and quickly etc. However, an AD200 is often the go to flash for that system, just because it can break through those gels and diffusers provided, allow for the flash to be situated much further away and thus allowing less work in post to get rid of the flash and lightstand (or give way to much more dramatic wider angle scenes as the flash power can reach the target.

I think it will be a Godox trade in for me...
09-07-2018, 03:46 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Hi Bruce, that's a spectacular location and spectacular shot! I do envy you having the time and access to such great photo opportunities, not to mention kids old enough to stand still for you!

Considering the huge brightness from the sun behind I think your flash power has been enough to create a good balanced exposure. It would have been good to have been able to cut the sun down even more, but then you'd have to bring the flash into the frame I guess, as there was no more power to give.

I see your argument from that point of view, sure, although mostly I think we should try and keep the flashes as close as possible to the subjects and diffussed (eg softbox) for the best looking light. I tend to frame my shots up with the lights only just out of frame.

What I'm saying is I don't think that getting a more powerful flash in order to be able to place it further away is a good thing, generally. Not an argument for changing systems, I feel.
I think the aim should be to get the lights in closer, and diffussed, for better results. So for that you don't need more power.

You have had quite a trial getting the Cactus system up and running and understanding the various operating modes and configurations .....I just feel that it would be a pity to go backwards and start over again with a new system, just when ideally you want to be out taking great photos, not more testing and messing with new equipment ...... And you did say you wanted to be ready for some jobs coming up

09-07-2018, 05:40 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Hi Bruce, that's a spectacular location and spectacular shot! I do envy you having the time and access to such great photo opportunities, not to mention kids old enough to stand still for you!

Considering the huge brightness from the sun behind I think your flash power has been enough to create a good balanced exposure. It would have been good to have been able to cut the sun down even more, but then you'd have to bring the flash into the frame I guess, as there was no more power to give.

I see your argument from that point of view, sure, although mostly I think we should try and keep the flashes as close as possible to the subjects and diffussed (eg softbox) for the best looking light. I tend to frame my shots up with the lights only just out of frame.

What I'm saying is I don't think that getting a more powerful flash in order to be able to place it further away is a good thing, generally. Not an argument for changing systems, I feel.
I think the aim should be to get the lights in closer, and diffussed, for better results. So for that you don't need more power.

You have had quite a trial getting the Cactus system up and running and understanding the various operating modes and configurations .....I just feel that it would be a pity to go backwards and start over again with a new system, just when ideally you want to be out taking great photos, not more testing and messing with new equipment ...... And you did say you wanted to be ready for some jobs coming up
Thanks for that.

Much of my learning has been to do with flash work in general, and a mixture of random oddities that seemed to be more finger pointing towards Pentax than Cactus at times!

What I have learned is this;

1) As great as it is to get wireless flash going, the V6ii unit is a bit painful to use. It's wholly unintuitive in my opinion, too small a screen too few buttons to get around, too little information displayed when trying to move around and find a setting. My memory is not like it used to be, just when I think I know where a setting is, 2 days later I'm hunting for it again. I come from a long background of testing and reviewing mp3 players (when it was a thing, still kinda is I guess), and back then there were players that had just two lines of information to use for display, but at least they gave the user a more sensible interface to move around, so what I'm saying is I feel quite 'qualified' to rate small pieces of electronics with small screens and buttons for 'getting around' or 'getting the job done', and it's not great imo.

2) I love magmod. I have friends (Pentaxians) who use softboxes and all that stuff, and whilst the results are great the setting up and packing up times are not (not to mention bulk and transportation issues as well). But magmod isn't without it's faults, putting a gel over a flash, a grid, then a diffuser, it takes power out of the flash, so it makes sense that pros tend to lean towards an AD200 as their main flash for those outdoor shots. So I would disagree with you on that point, more power is always helpful, for framing purposes and versatility on the job. Inside however it's a different story, AD200 is often overkill, but with big grand weddings a dusk outside shot is often a requirement, not to mention an evening reception entire party group shot, shots like that can often even involve more than one AD200, so it's a thing for sure.

So with those two things in mind I think I will go down the Godox route, for the AD200 and XproP trigger (as well as Godox's speedlights that come with their own 'camera like' rechargeable batteries, neat).
But I'll wait, I have a fellow Pentaxian friend who will make that switch sooner, I want to see how good the trigger is, getting around menus, ease of use etc. So it does look like I will be using my Cactus gear till possibly 2019 (2-3 jobs lined up till then), perhaps I make the switch before then but maybe not, we'll see...
09-07-2018, 06:01 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Kickstarter used to be just for early stage 'start-up' products. Now even established brands like Cactus and Peak Design seem to just use it to underwrite a bit more marketing and direct sales at product launch.
Late to the show, but here goes.

There was a cool interview with Peak Design leadership where they explained that going via Kickstarter let them remain an employee-owned company. Initial cost for production runs are high (especially when you have the "nice problem" of having a successful name like Peak Design, and initial orders are numerous). You could either sell a part of your company to get capital, or go via socio-financing and make sure you can pay your suppliers AND meet initial demand. It's actually a pretty good way to get financing. Also, you develop a community, get to interact with your customers (if you do it right) and get feedback before actual launch. And customers get a rebate. Win-win situation.
09-07-2018, 07:28 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It's actually a pretty good way to get financing.
Agreed. I haven't being paying much attention to kickstarter happenings.

As it happens, I discovered a book I bought recently (the excellent Surveillance Valley by Yasha Levine) had started out as a kickstarter project, which enabled the author to take time to travel to interview some subjects, do some research etc. So I clearly need to update myself on how Kickstarter is working.

09-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Magmod did a kickstarter also recently for their upcoming Magbox, hugely successful it was.
09-17-2018, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
In a Facebook post Cactus announced that due to the unsuccessful Kickstarter campaign the RQ250 will not be produced.

This is really sad news.
That *is* really sad news... If I hadn't had a ton of unfortunately expensive events happening to me and my family in the past few months, I would've plunked down money in a heartbeat for one.

As it is I'm struggling to stay afloat just paying the mortgage.

my personal issues aside, my one non-purchase didn't doom it, but I'm still sad. I really would've loved to been able to purchase something early next year, hoping no more catastrophes hit my bank account...
..natively compatible with the rest of the system... their products are so well thought out and easy to use. (I have 4 RF60s and two triggers... I quite love the system).

Sigh.