Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cactus RQ250 on Kickstarter

Cactus RQ250 is on Kickstarter.

Cactus RQ250 Li-ion battery-powered TTL Wireless Monolight by Cactus ? Kickstarter

Looks like it would cost $557.00

08-06-2018, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing this. It looks interesting if a bit pricey.
08-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It seems strange that they would do a Kickstarter for such a clearly well evolved product package as this flash, from this mature flash maker. Looks like all the design and manufacturing work has been done since at least CP+ too.

Kickstarter used to be just for early stage 'start-up' products. Now even established brands like Cactus and Peak Design seem to just use it to underwrite a bit more marketing and direct sales at product launch.

Not really criticising them for it. If it works for them, that's great.
08-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It seems strange that they would do a Kickstarter for such a clearly well evolved product package as this flash, from this mature flash maker. Looks like all the design and manufacturing work has been done since at least CP+ too.

Kickstarter used to be just for early stage 'start-up' products. Now even established brands like Cactus and Peak Design seem to just use it to underwrite a bit more marketing and direct sales at product launch.

Not really criticising them for it. If it works for them, that's great.
Even Magmod seem to do it these days to, it's all the rage! MagBox, MagShoe, MagRing?Revolutionary New Softbox System by Spencer Boerup ? Kickstarter

08-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It seems strange that they would do a Kickstarter for such a clearly well evolved product package as this flash, from this mature flash maker.
Yes, I found that surprising as well.

I guess they took a leaf out of the book of Pebble and other companies that ran Kickstarters despite being established companies already. I suspect that the Kickstarter fees are more than matched by the gains in visibility (marketing) and avoiding to pay interest on a loan for producing the tooling.

Looks like all the design and manufacturing work has been done since at least CP+ too.
They had a prototype at CP+ and that one used a screw mount for connecting the reflector head to the body. Since then they (luckily!) changed that design to a bayonet mount and probably some other changes occurred as well. Also, tooling for mass production probably differs from what you have to do to build a prototype.

Last edited by Class A; 08-08-2018 at 10:50 PM.
08-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Have to say, I was hoping it would be more somewhere in the ballpark of the Godox AD200 price.
Not to say that I didn't expect it to be higher. But not $699..

(The early bird price says "25% off MSRP") (I understand that's rarely not usually the actual retail price.)
But hrrm. I guess I have to do a few more projects just with the intention of saving for this.
08-08-2018, 03:03 AM   #7

$557 with shipping to US with 17 slots left. Anybody taking the plunge?

08-08-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its making me think. But that price. Already plunged with the DFA 50mm recently so... Not sure.
08-08-2018, 09:09 PM   #9
Brooke Meyer

Get a 4 stop ND Filter and one of these Neewer Battery Powered (700 Full Power flashes) Outdoor Studio Flash. Even includes a trigger.

Yes you'll have to manually adjust power and no P-TTL or HSS. Just like every studio photographer whose workshop you can now afford to attend with the savings.

08-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me the HSS part is the draw. Action sports in bright sunlight is hard to do with a flash without HSS.
08-08-2018, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Genobreaker Quote
Its making me think. But that price.
I also started to intuitively comparing the price to the Godox AD200 because the maximum power output is so similar. However, if one looks more closely, the RQ250 has a number of premium attributes regarding colour stability, recycling rate, modelling light, active cooling, AF-assist, etc. that put it in the same league as the Godox AD400. The latter has been announced to sell for $649, so is a lot more expensive than the AD200 as well.

The RQ250 is said to have 3.5 times the power of an RF60X and 3.5 RF60X would cost $661.5 which doesn't include the 14 AA batteries and the multi-flash bracket and the swivel you'd need to mount them. While I would have liked the RQ250 to be more affordable, I think proper comparisons put the price into perspective much better than following one's gut reaction to look at the AD200 price.

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Get a 4 stop ND Filter and one of these Neewer Battery Powered (700 Full Power flashes) Outdoor Studio Flash. Even includes a trigger.
This system doesn't support remote power control; at least the trigger shown has no respective controls or display. Remote power control is such a time saver, I wouldn't want to be without it anymore.

The description states that there are four groups but the trigger shown does not appear to have any useful controls for (de-)activating groups. Again, quick group control is so handy for setting up lights, I wouldn't want to be without it anymore. It can also be really useful in dynamic situations when you need to switch certain lights on or off quickly depending on your position or direction of view.

I've tried replacing HSS with a neutral density filter but found out that it is quite involved as I needed step up rings to make the one pretty expensive neutral density filter count for multiple lenses. Autofocus and even framing can become a challenge when using a strong ND. It's a viable workaround for not having HSS but it is a rather cumbersome one in my experience.
08-12-2018, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I also started to intuitively comparing the price to the Godox AD200 because the maximum power output is so similar. However, if one looks more closely, the RQ250 has a number of premium attributes regarding colour stability, recycling rate, modelling light, active cooling, AF-assist, etc. that put it in the same league as the Godox AD400. The latter has been announced to sell for $649, so is a lot more expensive than the AD200 as well.

The RQ250 is said to have 3.5 times the power of an RF60X and 3.5 RF60X would cost $661.5 which doesn't include the 14 AA batteries and the multi-flash bracket and the swivel you'd need to mount them. While I would have liked the RQ250 to be more affordable, I think proper comparisons put the price into perspective much better than following one's gut reaction to look at the AD200 price.
It seems to make sense, but as I said after that, I've already plunged in with the DFA 50 and also bought few new lenses this year so it's more of what's left in my left wallet lol.
08-13-2018, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

agree with all your points...
If I wasn't flat out broke at the moment.. I'd put in for one in the early bird special.

As it is, I might have to wait until it arrives on Amazon that I can buy a 4 year accident protection.. it is a hefty chunk of change to stick on a tripod stand in a non-studio environment...
But I really really do one want one.

I've got 4 RF60's already... along with a v6 and v6-ii trigger. (actually a third V6, my original had some sort of issues I never could sort out. but I stuck with it and my second v6 is flawless) And I'd love to overpower the sun with one unit...
it doesn't make any sense for me to change brands now.

I just need to do a few more jobs.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

This system doesn't support remote power control; at least the trigger shown has no respective controls or display. Remote power control is such a time saver, I wouldn't want to be without it anymore.

The description states that there are four groups but the trigger shown does not appear to have any useful controls for (de-)activating groups. Again, quick group control is so handy for setting up lights, I wouldn't want to be without it anymore. It can also be really useful in dynamic situations when you need to switch certain lights on or off quickly depending on your position or direction of view.

I've tried replacing HSS with a neutral density filter but found out that it is quite involved as I needed step up rings to make the one pretty expensive neutral density filter count for multiple lenses. Autofocus and even framing can become a challenge when using a strong ND. It's a viable workaround for not having HSS but it is a rather cumbersome one in my experience.
08-14-2018, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #14

If three of you give me your word and agree to buy once the units come to me, I can go in for the 4 pack and then ship it out or come pick up in Chicago. SEB is gone for the single unit. Let me know fellas.
08-15-2018, 03:15 AM   #15
Pentaxian

At the current pace it doesn't look like the campaign is going to reach its goal.