Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2018, 06:08 AM   #16

40k to go in 20 days. I think it's possible.

08-16-2018, 08:12 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
40k to go in 20 days. I think it's possible.
It would be great if it worked out, but where are the new backers are supposed to come form?

The RQ250 articles are disappearing from the front pages. Unless there will be a second and third wave of advertising, I don't see where the additional backers should be coming from.
08-19-2018, 04:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even if the campaign fails, you expect them to make it anyway, no? It wouldn't look good to have the failure, but they've already invested so much time and money into a product they believe in.

In any case, there may be enough procrastinators out there.
08-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see this as just a marketing/advertising/hype train tool, it won't matter if it doesn't make its target, it'll happen anyway.

08-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
30k in 14 days. It's inching closer.
08-25-2018, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #21

Just checked in, after years of absence as I figured this product should be of particular interest to Pentax users since it is offering wireless TTL and HSS, in a more powerful package than a regular off camera flash.

I've been using such flashes a little over the years, but normally prefer my studio lights because of the oomph it has. I did have a battery pack for them, that I killed by not maintaining them charged enough when storing them over time, but it's bulky, heavy and not off the grid friendly in that manner.

I felt this is the sweet spot in size - weight, physical size and output power, as well as capabilities. Although them being half the power I'm used to, HSS can make up for it. It's expensive compared to many flash options, but reasonable compared to many monoblocks.

Earlier I trawled the net for info about these units after the press release was made public. Once I saw the Kickstarter announcement I went giggly up and "ordered" a couple of lamps and the accessory package. Partly why I did this is that Cactus has been in the market for a long time, and I have enjoyed some of their products for years. So I have no doubt they will deliver and deliver a good product - as they have done for years.
08-25-2018, 04:47 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Only about 30 or so more backers needed with 11 days remaining.

I keep my fingers crossed that it will work out.

08-26-2018, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #23

Me too. I've done "my share".

I'm afraid lots of people don't see the added value beyond the 50 W/s extra compared to the Godox alternative.
All there is in their minds is a "clone" for a higher price. For me, this is the ultimate thing to desire based on my experience with strobes and monoblocks.
08-26-2018, 08:37 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think with the XPRO-P for Godox/flashpoint being released, there is a cheaper alternative to the cactus now.
08-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

This would be a very important addition to the Cactus ecosystem, making it more complete and flexible for a wide range of needs, so it's important that it succeeds

The Godox trigger announcement couldn't have come at a worse time from Cactus's point of view, but this does raise the question of who is likely to choose what...... As an existing V6II / RF60x user then continuing with Cactus and obtaining the additional flexibilities from adding an RQ250 into my system is a no-brainer.

Likewise, those who have been trigger stacking and getting by with manual mode only and Godox, seem to be licking their lips in delight.....

The big question going forwards will be, for those starting out, where are we going to end up advising people to go to part with their money ....?
08-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sureshgvv Quote
I think with the XPRO-P for Godox/flashpoint being released, there is a cheaper alternative to the cactus now.
Yes, definitely a cheaper alternative and Godox's portfolio is much richer.

Godox finally discovering Pentaxians is absolutely great, but not all Godox products are great. Cactus have been offering some very well thought-out products and I truly hope we'll continue to have the choice in the future.
08-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
The Godox trigger announcement couldn't have come at a worse time from Cactus's point of view,...
Very true, although I wonder whether the Kickstarter campaign is going to be successful. It grew much closer to the finish line that I anticipated, given the initial growth rate, but it seems like it will still finish short of the target amount, regardless of the Godox announcement.

As an existing V6II / RF60x user then continuing with Cactus and obtaining the additional flexibilities from adding an RQ250 into my system is a no-brainer.
Yep, I would love to be able to add RQ250s to my setup. It seems, again, just a very well thought-out product. The differences may seem subtle to some but to me they make a big difference in terms of being able to enjoy the equipment while I'm using it. I'm not a professional, so part of the fun is enjoying the gear. Otherwise, we could just be using plastic Sony toys with horrible EVF and sub-par ergonomics, couldn't we?

The big question going forwards will be, for those starting out, where are we going to end up advising people to go to part with their money ....?
If the Kickstarter campaign won't succeed, we may not have that problem. Some here seem convinced it is just a marketing device, but I'm not so sure myself. What if there will be no RQ250 unless the Kickstarter campaign succeeds?

I love the Cactus triggers and the RF60x but I don't think in the long run Cactus will be able to stay competitive unless they expand their lighting portfolio. If the RQ250 doesn't succeed to be the start of an expansion of the portfolio then I don't see how Cactus will be able to grow and continue to compete against Godox.
08-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #28

QuoteQuote:
What if there will be no RQ250 unless the Kickstarter campaign succeeds?
Is that a realistic thought considering how long the company has been around and how many good products they have had on the market?! Not to forget that they possibly have spend significant resources on developing the RW250.

QuoteQuote:
... I don't think in the long run Cactus will be able to stay competitive unless they expand their lighting portfolio.
What do you specifically have in mind, writing that?
08-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

The main clamour around here has long been for powerful ("overpower the sun") studio strobe types with HSS / TTL for Pentax, but on a Yongnuos with ND filter budget !

I wonder how many Pentaxians have actually been using multi-flash Phottix, Priolite or Cononmark systems? I haven't heard of many .....

Perhaps ClassA is wondering whether a rush to the budget end, now available from Godox, would price a more "premium" product like the RQ250 out of the market ....?
08-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I'm hoping Cactus come good with the RQ250.

I used my RF60x off camera at a wedding last weekend with V6ii on my K1 in PTTL mode and DFA*50. It just worked.. ..but a more powerful fixed flash with no wires would be even better. At last check, Cactus are virtually 80% of the way to their target with 9 days to go. I got in at the beginning with the super early bird offer - it's just a matter of waiting now - in hope!

:-)

Last edited by phoebus; 08-26-2018 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Typo