Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2018, 06:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 macro flash options with 100mm f2.8 FA D lens

Hi All.

I have been generally very pleased with my K3's popup filter using a diffuser for macro shots. I do have several Pentax flash guns, but most of them are quite large. I need something similar for the K1. I do not like the flat light I get with a ring light and so would like something small that has a diffuser possibly built in for macro photography. One that comes to mind is the Metz mecablitz 26 AF-2 Flash, but I can't tell if it has a diffuser option. It seems very small and compact. Option 2 seems to be the Pentax AF201FG Flash which does have a diffuser and a swivel head, but I was wondering about the coverage for a 100mm macro. It's a bit larger than the Metz, but maybe a better option. Anyway I'd appreciate any experience people have with them.

Oh, dumb question. Are any of these flashguns 'water resistant'. I often get to work a lot in rain forests.

08-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ahh, this is a tough one I've been working on too. No built in flash on the K1 definitely brings out our creativity.
I use the Yongnuo 560 IV since that is what I normally use for strobe work anyway, but finding the right diffusion for my macro taste has been a challenge.
I've had decent results using a Pringles can with tissue paper on the end for the flash mounted on top hotshoe, both for M100 macro solo or M200/4 with reversed lens attached.

I've found the best results for me is using a 7 inch vari-arm mounted to a plate on the bottom of the camera and then moving the flash to the angle I choose, though this set up is a little cumbersome with a diffuser attached but can still be done handheld.
The cheap small Vello pocket box does give better diffusion than anything plastic.

A DIY diffuser might give you the best results you are looking for plus you can fine tune it as you go along.
Right now I'm working on a small 5 inch round 3 inch deep Tupperware bowl glued to a cut Sto-fen for mounting on the flash. Inside I've place a thin round styrofoam baffle and then a knit paper fabric on the outside. Getting a very even soft light distribution so far with about 1 stop light loss, still able to use the flash at between 1/32 & 1/8 power.

Let us know what you come up with, any tips on macro diffusion for the K1 would be of interest here also.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 08-09-18 at 10:03 AM ----------

Last edited by pcrichmond; 08-09-2018 at 10:07 AM. Reason: double post
08-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Has anyone tried these for Macro?
Lume Cube, Inc.
08-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lume Cube, Inc.

08-09-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Lume Cube, Inc.
Looks very interesting. Small and lightweight being a big plus.
Trick would only be syncing to another flash if these were used as the main body of light on macro subject.
Sure it could be done without to much trouble.
Would be very interested if anyone has given these a try.
08-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometimes I use a Flashbender with a Flashbender soft box on a flash with a cord. The small size actually fits my AF201FG as well as the AF540FGZ II

Often though I just use the large Flashbender and softbox combo on camera with the AF540FGZ II
08-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My key is small. I lead classes annually to Costa Rica so I really have to limit gear. That's part of the appeal of these small flashguns.
08-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been looking at the Venus Optics KX800 for the size point myself but all the revues mention then having to figure out diffusion anyway. Apparently they are bright enough they need diffusion.
The Lume Cube Uncle Vanya mentioned looks very interesting for size and ease of locating. I would give them try if it was radio triggered, having to rely on a phone app to fire flash wouldn't work for me as I rarely carry a phone when out photographing. They might work for you though. If you try them let us know, I'm very curious.

08-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pcrichmond Quote
I've been looking at the Venus Optics KX800 for the size point myself but all the revues mention then having to figure out diffusion anyway. Apparently they are bright enough they need diffusion.
The Lume Cube Uncle Vanya mentioned looks very interesting for size and ease of locating. I would give them try if it was radio triggered, having to rely on a phone app to fire flash wouldn't work for me as I rarely carry a phone when out photographing. They might work for you though. If you try them let us know, I'm very curious.
The lume cubes are a continuous lighting source. I'm not following the concern.
08-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is another flash option...

LightPix Labs FlashQ Q20 Flash (Black) 634158475009 B&H Photo
08-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The lume cubes are a continuous lighting source. I'm not following the concern.
I had a quick look and it looks like it might have a slave mode for actual still shooting flash as well as a constant light source. Here's a quote from a Description tab I found on the Lume Cube site:

Controlled via the on-board buttons for quick adjustments or our Bluetooth App (compatible with iOS & Android), this powerful little light can be used as a Flash (down to 1/125 of a second in Slave Mode) or constant video light, and is ready to take your content to the next level on land, in the air, or under the sea!

I haven't looked too far, so maybe there's some fine print or caveat that I haven't yet come across. It would be a nice little flash unit to have on the end of a macro lens. I'd like something like that that didn't rely on slave triggering, though, as I'd like to conserve my K-S2's battery life for shooting more shots rather than firing the flash. I suppose 1/128 power wouldn't use a lot of juice, but still...