Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I have also noticed that Av mode with HSS brings inconsistencies and toggling into and out of HSS mode, leading to constant checking of the display to confirm settings, and a distraction away from solid control and attention on the photography itself .....I recommend M camera mode for HSS working.

08-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I have also noticed that Av mode with HSS brings inconsistencies and toggling into and out of HSS mode, leading to constant checking of the display to confirm settings, and a distraction away from solid control and attention on the photography itself .....I recommend M camera mode for HSS working.
I think this only happened with my 540II, which seemed to like to be 'pushed' into HSS mode (unlike my Metz 44 which just seems to be more automatic than that). If u toggled from 1/1000 and then panned to a darker spot such as 1/80 then I think that would sometimes toggle you out of HSS, and when panning back to a brighter area you'd get capped at 1/200 etc. I'm not wondering if my Cactus V6ii is suffering a same fate and may explain how sometimes I the banding thing isn't there in Av mode, and other times it is (as it's definitely more erratic), I just haven't gotten around to completely sussing that out.

Again further proof that Av mode and flash firing are not well suited (and thorough testing perhaps even omitted from the developer side of things).
08-20-2018, 07:54 PM   #18

Testing it on my K-3 with Samyang 85mm and with the PEN.A.002 firmware + AF540FGZ set to HSS.

In Av mode, things behave normally, shutter speed changing depending on available light. Upon turning on the Tx V6II, shutter speed gets locked to 1/180. If I look at a very bright light source, the shutter speed will increase as needed.